Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,854

2 members and 2,852 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Re: Snake bite and bacteria?

Salmonella is actually in the snake's digestive tract, and I believe it helps them digest their food. The concern with salmonella has to do more with the snake's waste than it's mouth, so I don't think you need to worry about it with a bite. I've heard feeding-related bites are worse than fear-related ones mostly because the snake doesn't plan on letting go when they strike at prey, versus nipping at a threat to warn them away. I've also heard that being bitten is just part of owning snakes, so let us know when you do have your first experience! (I've not had mine yet either.)

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elleon For This Useful Post:

alice40604345 (04-03-2018),paulh (04-02-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alice40604345 View Post
    OMG looks super painful!! Maybe the strongest and wildest boa can survive in the wild... so she must be a really wild and strong animal...Hope that no scar left on your hand.. Is she much calmer now?
    If there are scars on my hand, I can't see them now. I'm not quite as blind as a bat yet.

This bite was over 40 years ago now, but it wasn't one to forget easily. Actually, there was surprisingly little pain. Possibly endorphins kicked in though.

The snake did not belong to me. I had borrowed her for possible breeding with my male, and this bite was soon after I got her. No luck with breeding because I didn't have a clue to what conditions were needed. I returned her to the owner after about 6 months, and she was considerably calmer when I returned her than when I got her.
    Last edited by paulh; 04-02-2018 at 09:02 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to paulh For This Useful Post:

alice40604345 (04-03-2018)

Thanks

Wow thank you so much! First time to know...In the past I just thought it's some kind of dangerous bacteria carried by rodent and never done research. I was always thinking whether human breed rodent still have bad bacteria or virus lol. Yeah I can feel it must be really bad if they bite me with his feeding response. My boa always stays a strike position with S shape neck and upward head after eating his rat . I always wait until he's calmer then pick him back to his home....When I pick him up, he'll turn around his head and shows his strike position again and looks like he wants to taste my hand
    LOL yeah I saw a bite club here. I'll let you guys know when I join in.
    Quote Originally Posted by elleon View Post
    Salmonella is actually in the snake's digestive tract, and I believe it helps them digest their food. The concern with salmonella has to do more with the snake's waste than it's mouth, so I don't think you need to worry about it with a bite. I've heard feeding-related bites are worse than fear-related ones mostly because the snake doesn't plan on letting go when they strike at prey, versus nipping at a threat to warn them away. I've also heard that being bitten is just part of owning snakes, so let us know when you do have your first experience! (I've not had mine yet either.)

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Thanks

40 years ago! Wow!! You have kept snakes for a really long time! I hope I could still have my babies 40 years later! Ah she maybe just want to be single and do not want to have babies lol

Quote Originally Posted by paulh View Post
    If there are scars on my hand, I can't see them now. I'm not quite as blind as a bat yet.

This bite was over 40 years ago now, but it wasn't one to forget easily. Actually, there was surprisingly little pain. Possibly endorphins kicked in though.

The snake did not belong to me. I had borrowed her for possible breeding with my male, and this bite was soon after I got her. No luck with breeding because I didn't have a clue to what conditions were needed. I returned her to the owner after about 6 months, and she was considerably calmer when I returned her than when I got her.
    Last edited by alice40604345; 04-03-2018 at 04:57 PM.

Thanks

Once you get tagged by these a couple times, everyone else’s bites will feel like feathers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123