Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,216

0 members and 2,216 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

UTH Probe Placement

I'm currently waiting on my temp. gun to arrive, so I wanted to know how I can get accurate temperature using my thermostat/heat probe. I have a plastic bin set-up currently, really basic w/ newspaper for substrate. Sometimes the probe hovers a bit above the newspaper, and I'm worried that it won't read accurately this way... Is it okay for the probe to not always touch the newspaper?

Also, when I begin using coco-fiber substrate in a few weeks, where in the substrate will the probe then be placed? Should it be touching the glass, buried in the substrate, or on the surface of the substrate?
    I really want to get everything perfect for my BP, so thank you for any input that you can provide!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts
    Your thermostat probe should not be inside the tub as you run the risk of having your snake move or pee on it, causing inaccurate readings. It should be sandwiched between your heat pad and the bottom of your tub/tank from the outside, like this:

Hope that helps clarify things for you!
    Last edited by MissterDog; 03-28-2018 at 10:12 PM. Reason: omg the spelling where is it help I'm sick
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

kthoms104 (03-28-2018),PitOnTheProwl (03-22-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    Thermostat probe should be on the outside sandwiched between the tub and uth.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnieskys For This Useful Post:

kthoms104 (03-28-2018)

Thanks

Re: UTH Probe Placement

Thank you!! I read in a bp care book that probes should go inside of the tank, and have since heard varying opinions.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kthoms104 View Post
    Thank you!! I read in a bp care book that probes should go inside of the tank, and have since heard varying opinions.
    I've seen them placed inside and under tbh .. The probe can be dislodged if it's inside although it can be hot glued in place - this is a common method for wooden vivs .

For glass tanks and RUBs it's easier and generally regarded as better to put it under / outside as already suggested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

kthoms104 (04-02-2018)

Thanks
    Piggy-backing off this, is there any way to place the thermostat probe if the UTH mat is already there? I placed the mat before I got the thermostat and I'm wondering if I'll just have to scrap it or if there's some way to do it. Tried searching the site but haven't come across anything.

Thank you!
    1.0 - VPI Axanthic Spider "Ferdinand"
    0.1 - Arizona Mountain Kingsnake "Bijoux"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by itsjustkarma View Post
    Piggy-backing off this, is there any way to place the thermostat probe if the UTH mat is already there? I placed the mat before I got the thermostat and I'm wondering if I'll just have to scrap it or if there's some way to do it. Tried searching the site but haven't come across anything.

Thank you!
    I know it's an old post but I was wondering if you fixed this? I also did this. I had the UTH under the tank before adding the thermostat probe. I had it but didn't read these posts before. So I did it wrong. What I did was peeled off the UTH carefully and sandwiched the probe between the UTH and glass. Problem with this method is that the sticky glue stuff of the UTH comes off. So either you cough up the money for a new UTH or get some of that foil tape to stick it to the bottom of the tank. I hate that there's some what of an air bubble that the probe creates. The mat will never lay completely flat on the glass again. Very unfortunate.
    Last edited by Red357; 03-22-2019 at 09:57 PM.