Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,158

1 members and 3,157 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Dented Eye Caps?

One of my Borneos, as well as one of my Sumatrans now have dented eye caps. I believe the Borneo's dented eye cap was caused back a few months ago when my temperature and humidity levels went crazy in my snake room for a couple of weeks. Now, I notice that one of my Sumatran's eye caps seems to be dented as well and I believe that is because the filter in my humidifier needed changed for about a month, so I had been struggling with humidity again. I had been misting daily, but the humidity in my snake room itself was going as low as 43% for about a month. I put a new filter in the humidifier a few days ago and the humidity is once again 50% - 60% in my snake room and i've still been misting my Bloods and Short Tails daily. I switched from newspaper to paper towel substrate almost 2 months ago... I've been keeping the temperature between 77 and 79 degrees in my snake room, the hot side in my Blood/Short Tail rack is 83 - 84 degrees and their cool sides are between 75 and 77 degrees. All of my Bloods and Short Tails have been having full perfect sheds all along...

Will their dented eye caps correct themselves? What else can I do to help make them better? It's starting to look like i'm going to have to reluctantly start using substrate...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Yes, a dented eye cap will be fine after the next shed.

I use all sorts of different substrate and never have dented eye caps. I believe it is more to do with hydration than substrate. And my snakes have dug, pushed and overall destroyed their cages multiple times on multiple substrates lol.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Aedryan Methyus (03-26-2018)

Thanks

Re: Dented Eye Caps?

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Yes, a dented eye cap will be fine after the next shed.

I use all sorts of different substrate and never have dented eye caps. I believe it is more to do with hydration than substrate. And my snakes have dug, pushed and overall destroyed their cages multiple times on multiple substrates lol.
    So, do you think these snakes just aren't drinking enough water? These two particular snakes are both excessive soakers! They both spend A LOT of time soaking in their water dishes! I read your post in the other thread about injecting water into feeders. Perhaps I should give that a shot? Do you just syringe the water directly down the feeders mouth?

Thanks

Re: Dented Eye Caps?

Just head your fresh thawed feeders in water their coat will suck in a lot of water. Some just seem more prone to eye denying then others. I have a few that are always dented right next to ones that never dent. Everything is the same for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Goode05 For This Useful Post:

Aedryan Methyus (03-27-2018)