Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,283

2 members and 3,281 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Howdy!

Thanks

Howdy!

Just wanted to say hello! I've been fascinated with ball pythons for almost 20 years, a friend of mine had one and I thought it was the most beautiful and cool thing in the world. At that time my wife said no way I was gonna bring a snake in the house, so like a good boy, I didn't. Well now she's my ex-wife and I've got a beautiful vanilla bp! I've been researching and reading and pretty much overwhelming myself with info but I've had Daisy for a week now, she ate like a champ, and seems to be happy. But she doesn't seem to like it too hot. I set up the hot side of her tank at about 90, (the cool side about 78)and she doesn't seem to use it at all. She'll go in her hide when I turn the light out and it drops to about 80 but when I turn the light back on she's outta there. Should I get a lower wattage bulb and keep it cooler or just leave the temp range the way I have it and let her decide where she wants to be?

Thanks
    Welcome to the forum, it's a pleasure to meet you.

As far as heating is concerned, you ideally want a setup where there is an area where the snake gets warm temps both day and night, and also has access to hiding spots in both the cooler and warmer areas. Are you using a heat light as the sole source of heating? If so, you are gonna want some non-light emitting heat sources in there.

Thanks
    Welcome! We'd love to see a picture of lil' miss Daisy, as she sounds quite fetching.

Depending on the bulb, I wouldn't worry too much about it, and would just let her choose which temperature she's feeling. However, I don't have much experience with bulbs, as I use a UTH, so I'll let people with more experience help you puzzle out your problem.
    1.0 Banana/Coral Glow Emperor Pin BP- Horatio
    0.1 Hypo Black Pewter Butter- Gin & Tonic (Ginny)
    1.0 Piebald Cat- Percival Henry

Thanks

Re: Howdy!

I've got a uth and a light (75W). Going tomorrow to get a blue bulb to use at night to keep temps more stable.

Thanks
    Are you measuring the temp of the hot spot at the glass or on top of the substrate? If it's at the top of the substrate then the hot spot is probably far too hot as the glass under the substrate will likely be over 100f

Also, is the Uth on a thermostat?

Thanks

Temp measured on top of substrate. There is a layer of repti-carpet between the glass and the aspen shavings I use. No thermostat yet because the temp was holding about 90.

Thanks

Ok. I'm definitely getting a thermostat. Now another thing I've overwhelmed myself with looking for online! What would be a good one for my situation?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bhsurf4 For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (03-24-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bhsurf4 View Post
    Ok. I'm definitely getting a thermostat. Now another thing I've overwhelmed myself with looking for online! What would be a good one for my situation?
    Treat yourself to a ten dollar digital temp gun from eBay or Amazon..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of snake keeping!!! I have a Vanilla BP named Tyson....

Yes, DEFINITELY get a thermostat. It's probably the most important tool for snake keepers. Unregulated heat sources can spike to dangerous temps and can cause serious burns or worse to your snake. Google search snake burns real quick and you'll be out buying a t-stat before the pictures are done liading...

Also, you want to measure the temp on the surface of the enclosure. Snake can and WILL burrow and find the hottest spot eventually, so that's what you measure. You will need a temp gun for that.
    You're also gonna want to ditch that reptile carpet. They are horrible for snakes and just harbor mold and bacteria.

Just to clear things up, your Heat mat (UTH) is there solely to provide a hot spot and not for ambient temps. Your light bulbs are there to provide ambient temps and a temp gradient. BOTH should be regulated by a thermostat.

Feel free to ask any more questions, we're happy to help

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

hilabeans (03-24-2018)

Thanks

Getting my list together for some shopping tomorrow! I know I need a bulb to keep temps up at night, a temp gun, thermostats for lights and uth, and a humidity gauge. I'll get rid of repti-carpet but should I put anything between substrate and glass? Newspapers or paper towels maybe? And what is a good way to increase humidity? I've got a good size water dish and I live in Houston, Texas so humidity shouldn't be a problem, but the A/C in my house has a feature to lower humidity so I want to make sure she's healthy and happy. And I want to thank y'all for giving the advice without making me sound like a horrible stupid person! A lot of times in forums, noobs get ROASTED! So I was a little hesitant to get on here and ask advice, but I'm glad I did. I love animals, and just want to make sure I'm not doing anything that could cause my snake any problems.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast