Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,945

4 members and 2,941 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

View Poll Results: Light for ball pythons?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Artificial lighting on a timer

9 64.29%
  • Natural sunlight (harder to keep temps in large room)

2 14.29%
  • keep them in the dark.

3 21.43%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Light for health.

I recently moved and am keeping my ball python rack in a large closet, as it is easy to maintain the heat and humidity in there. It is quiet and dark, and perfect temps, the only problem is the lack of light. I am worried that the snakes will suffer somehow. Especially I am worried that they will lose their vision or some other aspect of their health without natural light, or some kind of day/night light cycle. They are basically in the dark 99% of the time!

Solutions:
    a) get some kind of lighting and put it on a timer, to replicate a daily light cycle.
    b) keep the snakes in the bedroom so the window light gives them the light cycle they need. (It will be more difficult to keep temps right if I take them out of the closet.)
    c) keep them in the dark, and hope they don't suffer.

What do you all think?
    Last edited by Godzilla78; 03-23-2018 at 09:53 PM.

Thanks

Re: Light for health.

I think they would benefit from a day/night cycle. I vote option a! I know my snakes are noticeably more active when I keep a light cycle for them.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Team Slytherin For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (03-23-2018)

Thanks
    Yeah, almost all animals need a light cycle in order to sleep and function properly, I doubt snakes are any different.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    Light (not direct) from the window and no other light.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I keep my king snake in the living room where there is natural light. But I keep the babies (BP and Children's Python) in my bedroom in the dark mostly, with some natural light peeking in. My bp ate much better than when he was in the living room. Also, these pythons are ambush predators who would spend the majority of their lives in tunnels, burrows and termite mounds hiding, with very little sunlight if at all come through. Since they are babies and lacks the confidence to be more exposed, I plan to keep them there until they are a bit older. The Children Python may do better than the bp since my bp is so shy. So I think it depends on the individual snake. Shy ones = keep in the dark, curious and confident ones = keep out in the open with indirect natural light.

Thanks

Have kept all of my snakes on artificial lighting with a timer since day one. Don't know what effect that has on their feeding habits if any but it is a rare day any of my snakes refuse their meals.
    Ball Pythons are for reptile lovers. Giant Pythons are for snake lovers.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

i would probably feel uncomfortable if my guys were in a dark closet too. IMO i think a natural light cycle helps them know when it's "safe" time to be out and when its hide time, giving them a bit of routine.

i would pick option A, but i would at least try B first to see just how much extra work it takes. but any type of light should work, just be cautious about heat building up in a small space.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 03-24-2018 at 11:36 AM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks

I can understand your concern about light. I don't have much experience, but I imagine having a day/night light cycle would be important for a creature who relies on instinct so much. How else would they know when it's night to come out? I opt for natural light from the window, but it's supplemented with a plant light I also have in the same room (near the tank but pointing away from it), kept on a timer to match the sun outside (I use a spare port on my Herpstat). If you're keeping your snakes in the closet, I would suggest an indirect, low wattage light on a timer to help with their circadian rhythms. They may spend most of their time in burrows in the wild, but I imagine they would still be able to see some light coming from the entrance.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to elleon For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (03-25-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    A lot of people say snakes dont need lights but i dont agree. i think any animal that will be out in the day even very briefly will still benefit from lighting. Even a day/night cycle. I give all my snakes lighting and during the summer, i try and get them outside at least twice a week for anywhere from 15-30 mins depending how they react. If they try to hide under my arms, i just bring them back in. If they go gung ho and start exploring, i let them soak up some rays. I try not to put them in direct sunlight for more than a couple mins as it can heat them up fast. I more just give them a shaded spot on me to sit on.

And for Pat, i use UVB lighting. I would like to use it for all my snakes but i am in the process of trying to think of a good way to rig something.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 03-24-2018 at 07:01 PM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (03-25-2018),Starscream (03-24-2018),Team Slytherin (03-25-2018)

Thanks
    Snakes and virtually all animals need a proper circadian rhythm. If it isn't proper, it MAY affect their metabolism. This has been studied in kingsnakes for examples.

Even scorpions have proteins involved in circadian rhythym that are ruled by the sun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast