Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,373

4 members and 3,369 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,537
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Thermostat probe

Hi, I was messing around with my thermostat probe and where to place it. Since I have two tubs, putting probe under one tub makes the hot spot temp different in both tubs due to probe giving more air space at one tub and other is still closer to heat tape. I decided to try putting on between the tubs, like the picture shows but I was wondering if this is safe option? Any variables it could make it dangerous?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    yes, i would just tape it down over the probe though so there is better contact... then you need to monitor the tubs from the inside, and you might need the "probe heat" to be a degree or two higher to maintain the desired temp of the hot spot.
    Ball
    1.0 Enchi Lesser Killer Bee
    0.1 Killer King Clown
    0.1 Mystic Potion

Retic
    1.0 Purple Phase Albino

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Thermostat probe

Quote Originally Posted by Scherf View Post
    yes, i would just tape it down over the probe though so there is better contact... then you need to monitor the tubs from the inside, and you might need the "probe heat" to be a degree or two higher to maintain the desired temp of the hot spot.
    I saw that taping over the probe is not a good idea since it can trap in the heat? I actually have to put thermostat like 5 degree lower to get desired temp but I feel like it is varying time to time.. Like, I set my thermostat to 90, but the room temp is affecting the probe that thermostat gives more power to the heat tape making it hotter. I know in my head but I don't know what would be safe way to do this.
    Last edited by gusanr14; 03-22-2018 at 11:52 PM.

Thanks

what T-stat are you using? i put clear box tape over mine and i haven't had an issue with trapping heat or erroneous readings.. i use a herpstat EZ2 with metal tip probes, i set it to ~90 and it hold 90 in the tubs at the hotspots.... now i say ~90 because its a turn knob sooo i have to guess a little
    Ball
    0.1 Killer King Clown
    0.1 Mystic Potion

Retic
    1.0 Purple Phase Albino

Thanks
    and i say tape it down cause your probe is even elevated off the flexwatt, that explains why you have to dial it back... its getting the radiant heat in the air rather than the direct heat off the actual flex watt
    Ball
    0.1 Killer King Clown
    0.1 Mystic Potion

Retic
    1.0 Purple Phase Albino

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

and i say tape it down cause your probe is even elevated off the flexwatt, that explains why you have to dial it back... its getting the radiant heat in the air rather than the direct heat off the actual flex watt
    yea I agree, tried to set it so it touches the heat tape without taping but it doesn't seem to work. I heard it was not safe to tape with foil tape and some people having no problem with it, will give it a try and see.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gusanr14 View Post
    yea I agree, tried to set it so it touches the heat tape without taping but it doesn't seem to work. I heard it was not safe to tape with foil tape and some people having no problem with it, will give it a try and see.

Ya i defiantly dont use foil tape cause that with out a doubt can hold heat a lot better than some clear scotch/box tape
    Ball
    0.1 Killer King Clown
    0.1 Mystic Potion

Retic
    1.0 Purple Phase Albino

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Ya i defiantly dont use foil tape cause that with out a doubt can hold heat a lot better than some clear scotch/box tape
    then what tape would be safe? I tried the foil tape, so far working really good. Don't have any other tape at this moment though.,

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gusanr14 View Post
    then what tape would be safe? I tried the foil tape, so far working really good. Don't have any other tape at this moment though.,
    regular old scotch tape or clear package tape.... i prefer the clear package tape cause it seems to hold forever vs the scotch tape....
    Ball
    0.1 Killer King Clown
    0.1 Mystic Potion

Retic
    1.0 Purple Phase Albino