Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 544

0 members and 544 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    I agree with JM. If your retics head is as big as a softball, you will be surprised how small XS rabbits and XL guinea pigs are compared to her. Caesar's head isnt nearly the size of a softball or even half that and he eats 2XL guinea pigs like my baby boas eat weaned rats lol. You need to look at the middle of the snake to judge the food size, not the head. The owner of the reptile shop i go to has a bunch of mainland retics and she feeds them adult rabbits. She showed me a few of them and let me tell you, an adult rabbit is pretty big lol. These are for her 14+ foot retics.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Re: Rainbow is my new SunTiger female reticulated python progression.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    I agree with JM. If your retics head is as big as a softball, you will be surprised how small XS rabbits and XL guinea pigs are compared to her. Caesar's head isnt nearly the size of a softball or even half that and he eats 2XL guinea pigs like my baby boas eat weaned rats lol. You need to look at the middle of the snake to judge the food size, not the head. The owner of the reptile shop i go to has a bunch of mainland retics and she feeds them adult rabbits. She showed me a few of them and let me tell you, an adult rabbit is pretty big lol. These are for her 14+ foot retics.
    Her body is softball size and head is coke can size.

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

Thanks

So I have a question. I know I need to go up in size but a friend of mine has a ASF farm exploding at the seams and a few of her BPs are off food right now. She asked me if I would like to take some and give them to Rainbow and Lucy (my 5' boa) and feed a hand full off a week to them both (free snake food). Is this a good idea? What is the down side to feeding multiples? How many should I feed and it be ok for Rainbow? ASFs don't get very large. Should I just decline the offer and feed larger prey?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    So I have a question. I know I need to go up in size but a friend of mine has a ASF farm exploding at the seams and a few of her BPs are off food right now. She asked me if I would like to take some and give them to Rainbow and Lucy (my 5' boa) and feed a hand full off a week to them both (free snake food). Is this a good idea? What is the down side to feeding multiples? How many should I feed and it be ok for Rainbow? ASFs don't get very large. Should I just decline the offer and feed larger prey?
    An adult ASF is what...50, 60 grams? and you want to feed these to your 11lb retic? There is a reason people scale the size of the prey, and do not feed 10 prey items at once.

Also wouldn't give a prey item that will never satiate your animal when talking about a mainland female. Talk to some of the people with burms over 10 ft who only eat on quail and what they have to deal with. Huge step back. Go rabbits not ASF's.

Thanks

She is 18lbs. I know she needs larger normally. My friend just asked if she would eat them and being new to retics I ask questions to educate myself. I know one would barely be a snack. 10 would be more than a snack. Her rabbits, guinea pigs are in the freezer. If feeding multiple is bad practice like this, I won't do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 350z View Post
    An adult ASF is what...50, 60 grams? and you want to feed these to your 11lb retic? There is a reason people scale the size of the prey, and do not feed 10 prey items at once.

Also wouldn't give a prey item that will never satiate your animal when talking about a mainland female. Talk to some of the people with burms over 10 ft who only eat on quail and what they have to deal with. Huge step back. Go rabbits not ASF's.
    Last edited by Skyrivers; 05-14-2018 at 12:31 PM.

Thanks

Nice lump today after eating a 3lb rabbit.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Stearns84 (05-23-2018)

Thanks

I just love this girl. Me and a friend of mine took her out to our small locally owned pet store last Saturday along with Lucy. Everyone fell in love with her instantly. She was so calm until I went to put her back in her travel box. She did not want back in. This was a test run to see how she would do. I know I am still learning about retics myself but I want to share the love I have for herps with others and help educate people about them. I herd several people say "Aren't they the snakes reeking havoc in Florida?". My response was, "No. It is the irresponsible owners that are causing the issue in Florida by releasing them into the wild. The snakes are just hungry and doing what they are meant to do. Eat and make babies."

So many people enjoyed being so close to a large python. I was careful to keep an eye on her and watch her demeanor to make sure she was not getting defensive or stressed to much by it. I was also ready to take a bite if needed to keep everyone safe. She showed no signs of aggression at all. She seamed almost happy to be out of her enclosure getting some exercise. She pooped a nice big one along with a puddle of piss right before leaving the house so no accidents at the store. Once home she did not want to go back into her enclosure so I held her for almost half an hour. At that point she was showing signs of being tired and slowly crawled into her enclosure. She took a look back on the feeding side and took a drink of water when she realize food was not coming then curled up inside her hide.

I will try to post photos later.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Stearns84 (05-23-2018)

Thanks

Some new photos. Let her enjoy the tub during cage cleaning.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (06-01-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,570 Times in 2,984 Posts
    Sweet looking pattern! I'm a Tiger lover so that's a comment I would say about any tiger retic, and really a nice natural pattern is awesome too.

Do you know all the genetics behind your girl? I can't remember if you do. I see the eyes are the same color as my boy's eyes.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Skyrivers (06-01-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    Sweet looking pattern! I'm a Tiger lover so that's a comment I would say about any tiger retic, and really a nice natural pattern is awesome too.

Do you know all the genetics behind your girl? I can't remember if you do. I see the eyes are the same color as my boy's eyes.
    Sunfire gene and tiger gene. Don't know if het for any of the albinos. She was in shed in the tub photo is why she is greyed out there.
    Last edited by Skyrivers; 06-01-2018 at 12:19 PM.

Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast