Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,248

0 members and 2,248 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Re: Rainbow is my new SunTiger female reticulated python progression.

Quote Originally Posted by Treeman View Post
    What kind of enclosure is she in? Looks like a spray foam box from the last picture.
    Is a custom built by me. Yes I used spray foam and other things to give her a cool looking home and is all sealed up properly.

Thanks
    She's a beast, great job pal:-)
    1.0 75% SD retic .... 6ft Hector cb17 1.1kg
    0.1 coastal X ij carpet... Hielo cb15 8kg

1.1 crested gecko Vinnie + Mable

Thanks

Do you have any recent pictures of her out and about? I'd love to see her stretched out, especially with something for a size reference. they really become an experience once they start getting larger, my male is about 10ft and 30lbs and such a joy to work with.
    1.0 platinum retic "woody"
    0.1 purple albino retic "Jessie"
    0.1 albino corn "evie"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snakeboyaz View Post
    Do you have any recent pictures of her out and about? I'd love to see her stretched out, especially with something for a size reference. they really become an experience once they start getting larger, my male is about 10ft and 30lbs and such a joy to work with.
    I will get her out this weekend for pictures. She packed on the weight during the winter and hope she dumps it into length once summer hits. After the last feeding I hope she will be happy for 3 to 4 weeks. As of Saturday the bird she chowed down on was still digesting. I just took her out to check on her. That was 6 days after eating prey that was almost to large for her. I check on her daily but she gets taken out 2 to 3 times a week when not digesting. She is great to deal with and is loved by most that meet her.

Thanks

Size reference.

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Dianne (02-17-2019),Sanyassin (11-04-2019)

Thanks

Wow that’s an awesome snake!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Oh my..

Is that a optical illusion or is that actually a indentation above the spine and lumps and bumps along her side from FAT ?

If so...I would dial it way back. I know that can be tricky with Retics, because of the pushing issue, but boy, that is NOT healthy and will not make for a long life.

And that meal was not slightly to large, that was quite a bit to big While true, in the wild they can take down some pretty large stuff if they get their teeth on it, but in the wild they have to travel long distances in between meals and there may also be months in between meals. In captivity they spend 98% of the time laying around in a cage and food comes every week or 2.

Fat animals of any kind and species will have health problems.

But then, it may just be a optical illusion
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

9. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

WhompingWillow (02-17-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    Oh my..

Is that a optical illusion or is that actually a indentation above the spine and lumps and bumps along her side from FAT ?
    I was honestly wondering the same thing. But based on photos of Rainbow from a little less than a year ago compared to the most recent, along with post history, I don't think there's any question that this is a snake that is being power fed (both in terms of prey size and frequency) and is well on her way to being obese, if she's not obese already.

I really don't understand the allure of forcing a snake to grow more quickly, especially when you're dealing with something like a retic.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhompingWillow For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (02-17-2019),zina10 (02-17-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Since retics seem to be rather high strung snakes that like to move around, perhaps it IS one way to keep them more quiet/docile and keep them from pushing? To let them eat as much as they want until they become rather overweight and somewhat "lazy" ?

I'm the first one to admit, I have NO personal experience with Retics, never owned one. So I do not pretend to be some expert and don't want to come across as one.

I have always admired them, though, and precariously lived through others that did/do own them. Followed many of them throughout many years.
    But no, no personal experience at all.

Just going by the pictures, of the snake and the meal that was spoken about.

There is no doubt in my mind Skyrivers loves his snake, and perhaps it may help him if some other pairs of eyes see something that he may not, being so close to her emotionally. I don't mean to criticize, but boy, she does look rather chunky
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

Thanks

To answer everyone's questions.

1. I don't power feed. Normally feed on the smaller end of size prey. Her last meal was huge and should last her a month or more easily with a very small meal offered at the month mark.

2. She is not fat. Not lumpy. Is the way her pattern looks in the photo. Some underfed them to keep them smaller in size. This is as unhealthy as over feeding. When compared to other 3 year old mainland relics other friends of mine have, she is smaller and shorter. I only have 3 other animals that are in the area that are same age to use for comparison. Her thickest part of her body is only slightly larger than her head when empty. Her head is the size of my hand. Her body the size of my arm in thickness.

3. She has always been easy to handle with no pushing even when very hungry. The only thing she does is move things around when younger. Now she goes to the feeding part of the cage when hungry and looks out asking for food. Even then she is easy to deal with. I have even made her wait an extra couple of days to eat with no issue. I am both lucky and grateful she is as nice and easy going as she is. Everyone in the area that owns reticulated pythons is amazed by how calm and good she is.

4. She sees me as safety and we have a great relationship as a result. I have built and customized her enclosure to give her a place to swim, climb, hide, and she uses every inch of it at different times. She is out often and we'll cared for. Yes she is wild. She is intelligent and we have an understanding. If she says no I leave her alone. Is about respect and understanding.

Don't believe me? Meet her in person and judge for yourself.

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Skyrivers; 02-18-2019 at 12:54 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

MarkL1561 (02-18-2019)

Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast