Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,819

0 members and 2,819 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: GTP feeding

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Re: GTP feeding

Quote Originally Posted by fluffykitten View Post
    it may just be the way it looks in the picture, the CHE is all the way in that back right side.

ill work on the plants I may have to trim them down a little bit. funny enough I looked in there this morning and couldn't see him. after looking for a bit I noticed he was curled up in the plants looking pretty comfy. The perches are pretty solid and don't move around I just cut the wood slightly big and they are just kind of press fit in. That will work for now until I find some that works better. But at the very least they are much more stable than the old ones. what did you use to mount your perches?

I haven't misted at all since yesterday morning and this morning I was still at 73% so I may be able to cut back on misting a bit.
    Haha, Pat used to curl up on top of the plants too. Once Pat settled in, he quit sleeping on the plants and slept on the perches more. Now he tries to caudal lure me at night to eat me. Little booger has some big ambitions haha.

Be careful of press fitting the perches into a glass cage. Wood swells from moisture and heat. It could blowout the sides of the cage.

I mount my perches with https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerci...A-10/203531944. I use 1/2 inch perches for Pat and just use a dremel to grind one of the sides off the mounts and then dremel 2 sides of the perch ends flat and slide it down into the mount.

And yeah, like i said, i never really mist my cage at all. I use tinfoil over the whole top except for where the light dome is for Pat's UVB and daylight bulbs and where the Nano CHE is. That holds in humidity fine. You want relative air humidity, not a soaking wet cage lol. Even during shed, i never mist and Pat has had 2 perfect sheds with me. It's more about keeping the snake hydrated and snake skin is not like amphibian skin, it doesnt soak up liquids. They get their liquid from the ends...the entrance and the exit lol.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 03-23-2018 at 05:59 PM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (04-18-2018),fluffykitten (03-23-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Be careful of press fitting the perches into a glass cage. Wood swells from moisture and heat. It could blowout the sides of the cage.

I mount my perches with https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerci...A-10/203531944. I use 1/2 inch perches for Pat and just use a dremel to grind one of the sides off the mounts and then dremel 2 sides of the perch ends flat and slide it down into the mount.
    thanks a ton that works perfect. yes blowing out the sides of the cage would be very bad day. I found the mounts and used 7/16 dowels so that should work much better. i also did a little trimming on the leaves so they will fit better around the perches.

so hopefully now he will be much happier in his environment. So im guessing all of the changing of stuff in his cage would be stressful for him. Should I just leave him alone and not bother him at all for a full week before i offer food again. or wait like 4 days before trying again.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post
    Some people actually let their cages dry out between misting as in letting humidity drop to 40-50%. Outside of a shed cycle you should be fine not being so liberal with misting.

You changes look really good. Once you good with temps you may find a better feeding response. Keep us posted how it goes.
    yes thank you everyone that has been giving advice. I'm trying my best to try to get things right for him. id like to get to see him get big and strong lol. The temps look much better now so hopefully that will help kick start things. I still haven't misted the cage today and the humidity is still 70%. so unless it drops real low I'm not going to mist.

Thanks

thanks a ton that works perfect. yes blowing out the sides of the cage would be very bad day. I found the mounts and used 7/16 dowels so that should work much better. i also did a little trimming on the leaves so they will fit better around the perches.

so hopefully now he will be much happier in his environment. So im guessing all of the changing of stuff in his cage would be stressful for him. Should I just leave him alone and not bother him at all for a full week before i offer food again. or wait like 4 days before trying again.
    You can try to offer him food on his normal day. He should be fine.

You dont need to mist unless it goes down to 40% or so. My humidity sits around 60-75% and like i said, i mist maybe once a week. I use a single live plant in a pot now as i switched out a couple live plants for more plastic ones as Pat loves his plastic plants. The live plant keeps humidity good and live plants also filter out the air as most snake cages are run by limiting airflow.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 03-24-2018 at 12:42 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (04-18-2018)

Thanks
    just an update. I tried feeding again Monday night with still no luck. i have re watched some of the feeding videos that are on YouTube. i also scented the pink with a chick. so at this point i covered the cage with a towel leaving some room at the top for air flow. i plan on just leaving him alone until next week when its feeding day. im guessing hes still stressed out so hopefully this will help.

one of the videos i have watched a few times now.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMGWHNEhEjg
    Last edited by fluffykitten; 03-28-2018 at 05:49 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    Nothing really to add but this post on the gtp forum might be of help or at least a good read

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/more...es-t24646.html
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SDA For This Useful Post:

fluffykitten (04-08-2018)

Thanks
    So I tried to feed again tonight but still no luck. I waited till evening when he's more active, showed maybe slightly more interest than before. I have had his cage covered for the last 2 weeks and haven't been bothering him at all except to add water to the bowl. I know he's still drinking from the urates. I had the front of the cage open and he came out so I was able to gets some pictures.

Thanks
    You sure your scale is accurate? 16 grams just seems so tiny.

Overall he doesnt look that bad but he does have wrinkly skin on the inside of his bends which to me, means either he shedding soon, might be a little dehydrated, skinny or kind of chubby lol.

I really dont know what to say. I mean he was eating before you got him right? And you know this because the breeder or shop was reputable and wouldnt be blowing smoke? Only thing i could think is maybe internal parasites which is causing him to not eat. I mean Pat eats every 5-7 days like clockwork and drops a deuce and piss about 4 days after eating. He does kind of dull on his blacks like Pat does when he is getting ready to shed. That combined with me not seeing him out front are the only 2 ways i know he is going into shed.

I just reread your first post so looks like he was eating so can probably ignore the parasite deal. I mean i was going to say try a smaller cage like a little tub but it seems he was doing fine before. He doesnt look backed up. I truly am at a loss. You got the temps right, you got him enough greenery to feel safe, you got high perches for cool and warm side. I mean i didnt read if you tried a live pinkie but maybe try that again.

I really dont know what to tell you

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (04-18-2018),fluffykitten (04-09-2018)

Thanks
    Yep sadly the scale is correct I checked it. He hasn't shed since I have had him so I guess that's possible. That would be nice if he was just waiting to shed. I haven't tried live yet. Im going to do that next. If that doesn't work there is a breeder that has a small shop around here. I'm going to see if he help with assist feeding or force feeding but that's a last resort.
    The place I got him said he was eating but now I'm not so sure they could have been just blowing smoke. I should have asked for feeding records.
    I now strongly belive that he was way too small to be sold. I read somewhere that the average weight of a hatchling is about 14 to 15 grams so that make my guy just slightly bigger than a fresh out of the egg snakelet.
    In all honesty I'm starting to worry about the little guy. I have had my share of difficult eaters over the years but he by far takes the cake.

Thanks

Yep sadly the scale is correct I checked it. He hasn't shed since I have had him so I guess that's possible. That would be nice if he was just waiting to shed. I haven't tried live yet. Im going to do that next. If that doesn't work there is a breeder that has a small shop around here. I'm going to see if he help with assist feeding or force feeding but that's a last resort.
    The place I got him said he was eating but now I'm not so sure they could have been just blowing smoke. I should have asked for feeding records.
    I now strongly belive that he was way too small to be sold. I read somewhere that the average weight of a hatchling is about 14 to 15 grams so that make my guy just slightly bigger than a fresh out of the egg snakelet.
    In all honesty I'm starting to worry about the little guy. I have had my share of difficult eaters over the years but he by far takes the cake.
    Well, you did have him eating for you you said. Then he just stopped. I mean, you havent changed anything im assuming which is the weird part. All of my snakes will go a couple weeks without food when shedding. Pat is the exception as he shed in 8 days but went without food those 8 days.

If you changed anything in the cage between when the snake was eating and then wasnt, i would change it back. And yeah, you might want to try and live pinky.

It's just so weird how he was eating when you got him but then quit. Babies can do downhill fast which is another weird thing as it's been 4+ weeks since he ate? And he doesnt look that bad.

Only thing i can think is just use the pinky to try and piss the snake off by rubbing him, banging on him and stuff but not around the face and hope the snake grabs it from maybe a pissed of defensive bite but then will turn into a food response.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast