Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,043

1 members and 3,042 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Hi! May I know which kindos of Styrofoam is for Ultratherm?

Hi guys! I just setup tubs for my ball pythons with Ultratherm heat mat. May I know what kind of styrofoam is good for being put under the heatmat? I find some in Walmart like this https://www.walmart.com/ip/Make-It-F...White/17422651. or https://www.walmart.com/ip/FloraCraf...Sheet/21685998 Are these kinds of styrofoam good for the heat mat? Or should I pay attention to the thickness or something of the styrofoam? So the reason we put styrofoam under the heat mat is to make the heat directly go inside the tub right? Actually currently when I use paper towel, the temperature is just perfect inside the tub. If I use reptichip coco, It seems the heatmat is even at more than 120F but the tub is still only 80F....May I know would the styrofoam help a lot for this? Thank you so much!
    Last edited by alice40604345; 03-21-2018 at 03:52 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts
    the styrofoam serves to lift the UTH off of a flat surface to allow the heat to escape and not build up. this prevents any possibility of overheating. the styrofoam can also eliminate the problem of the thermostat probe not allowing the UTH to sit completely flush against the bottom: simply make a groove into the styrofoam for the probe and put the UTH over it, then enclosure over UTH.

what you've found is fine. remember that when you measure temps, measure the BOTTOM of the tub. also remember that a UTH does not raise ambient (air) temps and only serves to provide belly heat.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 03-21-2018 at 04:02 PM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

alice40604345 (03-21-2018)

Thanks

Re: Hi! May I know which kindos of Styrofoam is for Ultratherm?

Oh thank you so much!!! So when we see hot spot of 94F does that mean the temperature of the direct inside bottom of the tub not above the substrate right? I currently feel if I want the temp of the hot spot substrate to be 90F, the bottom of the tub must be arounc 110F... but sometimes my ball python will dig the substrate away and lay on the bottom of the tub directly that will be too hot for him, but if I only make the direct bottom of the tub to be 90F the substrate he normally lay on will be not higher than 80F.... May I know which way should I do? Thank you so much! I'm so confused recently...
    Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    the styrofoam serves to lift the UTH off of a flat surface to allow the heat to escape and not build up. this prevents any possibility of overheating. the styrofoam can also eliminate the problem of the thermostat probe not allowing the UTH to sit completely flush against the bottom: simply make a groove into the styrofoam for the probe and put the UTH over it, then enclosure over UTH.

what you've found is fine. remember that when you measure temps, measure the BOTTOM of the tub. also remember that a UTH does not raise ambient (air) temps and only serves to provide belly heat.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alice40604345 View Post
    Oh thank you so much!!! So when we see hot spot of 94F does that mean the temperature of the direct inside bottom of the tub not above the substrate right?
    correct.

I currently feel if I want the temp of the hot spot substrate to be 90F, the bottom of the tub must be arounc 110F
    do not worry about the temperature of the substrate, because as you've found...
    but sometimes my ball python will dig the substrate away and lay on the bottom of the tub directly
    your snake WILL burrow if it needs more heat.

but if I only make the direct bottom of the tub to be 90F the substrate he normally lay on will be not higher than 80F
    and that's perfectly acceptable. if the snake wants more heat, it will know to burrow. your snake WILL burrow, as you've found, so you need to monitor the hottest thing it can possibly touch, which is under the substrate.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 03-21-2018 at 05:26 PM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

alice40604345 (03-21-2018),c0r3yr0s3 (03-21-2018)

Thanks

Wow thank you soooooooooo much! Sorry for the late reply I was setting her new substrate. Thank you so much for the explanation!! Looks like I was always wrong about how to adjust the temperature.... since I normally don't see them move even the temperature sometimes goes low a high so I was worried that they may be really not sensitive to realize the temperature lol!!Like one of my ball python burrow today but the temperature he directly touch after him borrow is 98F!! I set the surface of the substrate to 90F though...so sometimes I was confused whether they know it's too hot there? LOL! Thank you so much! So I'll make the inside bottom of the tub to 94F (which is also where the probe between the tub and heat mat) and ignore the tempeture of the surface of the substrate correct? Thank you so much for your always help!!
    correct.

and that's perfectly acceptable. if the snake wants more heat, it will know to burrow. your snake WILL burrow, as you've found, so you need to monitor the hottest thing it can possibly touch, which is under the substrate.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to alice40604345 For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (03-21-2018)

Thanks

Oh and do you think it will help if I put a layer or two paper towel below the coconut substrate to suck her urine and remove most substrate from the hot spot? Then the substrate will be thinner so the temperature may be similar to the bottom of the tub. Thank you!
    correct.

Thanks

Oh and do you think it will help if I put a layer or two paper towel below the coconut substrate to suck her urine and remove most substrate from the hot spot? Then the substrate will be thinner so the temperature may be similar to the bottom of the tub. Thank you!
    i don't see why not. just remember that's one more thing to care for/clean.
    4.4 ball python

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

alice40604345 (03-22-2018),c0r3yr0s3 (03-22-2018)