Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,747

1 members and 2,746 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Re: Defensive and hungry

I have a female BP Miss Snow that is difficult to handle. I started offering her a paper towel roll before removing her from her enclosure. When she sees it she curls up into her ball and then I remove her. I watched a youtube video about how to deal with aggressive retics and applied it to her. After removing her from her enclosure I place her in my lap and don't touch her right away. After a few min she relaxes and starts to crawl away. While she is balled up I don't make fast motions or motions near her head or tail. Once she starts to crawl away, I just keep her within reach allowing her to crawl a bit. Then she will let me pick her up enough to put her back in her enclosure. She is learning slowly that I am none thing to fear. It has taken almost 3 months to get her adjusted to this method so it was not a quick process. She has bitten my girlfriend, another friend of mine, but not me. The difference is that when I have her, all my attention is on her. My other 2 BPs and RTB and retic are much easier to handle than she is but she is coming around.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    If you handled a live rodent, you can feel how warm they are, from the inside to their fur. It is unmistakable. That is the temp you want to reach.

I warm my rodents by leaving it in the fridge overnight before feeding day, then add hot water from the sink to soak the frozen rodents (I tried the plastic bag method - It was not warming it up fast enough), leave it for 15 min, then dump out the water and soak again for 15 min, then use a hair dryer to warm it up for 30 sec, especially the face area. I dry the rat in the same room where my bp is. By the time it is ready to eat, he is hungry and ready to go! Last night he grabbed it as soon as I put the rat in.

One thing I do is make sure my snake is in hiding before I give him the prey. I figured in the wild they would strike from their hiding spot. And he would not see me and get distracted. He is still shy but by as much. Also, feed at night.

I tried the chicken broth method. It did nothing for me in the past.

Fyi, if it still refuses the rat, I heard using live may help.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post
    That statement made no sense anyway. Whether it's a dead mouse or a live mouse or dead rat vs live it smells the same.
    The only time we use that is when changing from one rodent to another.
    I've noticed a lot of information on here latley being given out by people who just got a snake and have absolutely no knowledge so be careful who you listen to.

iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you, I appreciate this. My little guy has supported your statement anyway because now that I’ve heated it up enough he’s hitting it first strike and chowing down - he obviously doesn’t seem to care it’s dead lol

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Snekmomm For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (04-06-2018),Craiga 01453 (04-06-2018),Kcl (04-06-2018),Zincubus (04-06-2018)

Thanks

Update

So! You guys are awesome because like I mentioned in a reply just a second ago - now that they are the correct temp aka much hotter he has no problem striking, grabbing and eating them.
    Hes now taken two consecutive meals with no issue.

Hes still angry though when I try to hold him, I fear it may just be his personality. I will keep trying because I’m sure it could just take more time but he doesn’t go into a ball at all when I cover him up, he just sinks down a bit and then when I uncover him he puffs back up to strike. I try to go from behind him, but since he kinda hangs out in the back corner I have to reach past his front and he does not seem to like that either. I just don’t know, I’m happy he’s eating now just want him to relax

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snekmomm For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (04-06-2018),Zincubus (04-06-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,993 Posts

Hurray for this guy !!!

Triumphs again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Re: Update

Quote Originally Posted by Snekmomm View Post
    So! You guys are awesome because like I mentioned in a reply just a second ago - now that they are the correct temp aka much hotter he has no problem striking, grabbing and eating them.

Hes still angry though when I try to hold him, I fear it may just be his personality. I will keep trying because I’m sure it could just take more time but he doesn’t go into a ball at all when I cover him up, he just sinks down a bit and then when I uncover him he puffs back up to strike. I try to go from behind him, but since he kinda hangs out in the back corner I have to reach past his front and he does not seem to like that either. I just don’t know, I’m happy he’s eating now just want him to relax
    I had a Male like this... I gave him to my friend up the street who has about 10 different species because he didnt have a Ball in his collection. Since that time my friend says he hasnt been so nervous. He really doesn't handle them unless he is cleaning and all his snakes are in the upstairs of his home which isn't used anymore because his kids are grown and married. I think this is what made the difference. Sometimes you get a snake that doesn't tolerate handling as well as others it's just the way it is. I obviously dont care for that so I found him the home he needed. I would've kept him and just let him be if I didn't have a friend that I knew who would take care oof him properly...but in the next six months if yours doesn't calm down you could always consider that. The females I have now are like Puppies. Of course I read their body language and if they try to kick me (with their body) when I start to lift them up then I leave them alone unless its cleaning time. I have them out about twice a week and once during my busy work season. In the past I have noticed snakes that are handled to much can be a bit more nervous.. others aren't.. they are just like people I guess hahahhaha

iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post
    I've noticed a lot of information on here latley being given out by people who just got a snake and have absolutely no knowledge so be careful who you listen to.

iPhone using Tapatalk

VERY good advice that should be applied in life as well as within the forum.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (04-06-2018),MissterDog (04-06-2018)

Thanks

He's only a baby, he could very well still grow out of it. They're much more scared when they're littler since more things can eat them. Growth alone can chill them out because they move up the food chain and are too big for a lot of the predators of the babies. Right now he's a delicious snack for all sorts of birds and mammals.

1.0 Pastel yellowbelly ball python -Pipsy
    2.0 Checkered garter snakes - Hazama & Relius
    1.0 Dumeril's boa - Bazil

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

One thing I did not mention but was advised to me when I got Miss Snow was to not put down right after being bit. They learn this gets their way so to speak. Here is exactly what I did. Not saying will work for you but it is what worked for me.

1. Tapped her with paper towel roll first. (doesn't hurt him or your for the paper towel roll to be bit). Protects him and you from a stressful bite. It is also something that can be recognized easily by your snake. She started by striking it like she would my hand and later by balling up in response. and now just moving away from it.

2. When holding her I would sit her in my lap. Not holding with my hands. I offered her the paper towel roll when she would act aggressive. Her response became a ball. Sometimes she would sit balled up for 20 min or so. No touching her with my hands till she un-balled and tried to crawl away and never around her head or tail. When I would chase her running away I would just lift from below her body 1/3 of the way behind her head. 2-3 min of running and would return her to her enclosure slowly and carefully.

3. Carefully observe his body language. She is clear on her feelings!

4. I added plants to her enclosure and it acted as additional hides for her. She feels much safer now. I also make sure her enclosure is dark and safe feeling for her.

This is not a guide but simply what worked for me and her. It takes time and consistency to get them to understand you mean no harm. Slow and purposeful motions when interaction is necessary or desired.

PS- She has never bit me as a result of the way I handle her.

Good luck.

Edit:If I said something wrong, please experts correct me!
    Last edited by Skyrivers; 04-06-2018 at 11:33 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12