Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,282

4 members and 3,278 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Does anyone have experience with extruded aluminum T-slot?

I am building a (small) reptile room and I need to maximize my use of space, to say the least. To be honest, I'm not really interested in purchasing from any of the current cage manufacturers. Non-existent customer service, months long lead time, cheap wobbly racks, not customizable, crazy high freight costs, etc.

I am thinking about building my own caging, but want nothing to do with wood cages anymore. I've long wanted to try building with T-slot, but am not sure where to start. There used to be a company called Sentec that made T-slot cages, but they are long gone.

1. Any suggestion on brands or T-slot sources? There are lots of different brands ranging from somewhat affordable to ungodly expensive.
    2. What kind of material should I use for panels? I'm assuming 1/2" expanded PVC?
    3. Any tips or tricks to working with the material? I'm wondering why no currently manufacturers use T-slot anymore.

Thanks
    Those are really nice enclosures! I'm not familiar with extruded aluminum T slot, but a quick Google search showed me that it's very expensive! But, yes... 1/2" PVC board is definitely the way to go with display enclosures.

Thanks

Re: Does anyone have experience with extruded aluminum T-slot?

What turned you off from wood enclosures? I thought of building my own wood enclosure for a bit, but my lack of tools and lack of experience was a turn off. And the lighter weight of PVC enclosures was appealing to me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MD_Pythons View Post
    What turned you off from wood enclosures? I thought of building my own wood enclosure for a bit, but my lack of tools and lack of experience was a turn off. And the lighter weight of PVC enclosures was appealing to me.
    Weight and durability. IMO, you need to be a skilled woodworker and use high grade materials/tools to build something that lasts. I have an aquarium stand that a local cabinet maker constructed for me. 3/4" beech plywood built to within 1/16" tolerances and multiple heavy coats of sealer. It's awesome, but I paid ~$2k because it took pro level labor and expensive tools to make.

Slapping something together with home depot trash grade lumber and a circular saw just isn't for me anymore, and unfortunately that is the limit of my skillset. I have plenty of experience with that approach, though lol.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ernie Mccracken For This Useful Post:

MD_Pythons (03-19-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Mccracken View Post
    1. Any suggestion on brands or T-slot sources? There are lots of different brands ranging from somewhat affordable to ungodly expensive.
    I can't really speak to this one as I do not use it in my caging.

2. What kind of material should I use for panels? I'm assuming 1/2" expanded PVC?
    I would highly recommend HDPE, or more specifically, seaboard/starboard HDPE. The materials is FDA/USDA ceritified, UV stable, and non-porous (makes cleaning much easier and staining is greatly reduced). It is more expensive than PVC, but better in most respects.

3. Any tips or tricks to working with the material? I'm wondering why no currently manufacturers use T-slot anymore.
    Some people still do, but given that t-slot construction is more expensive and not necessarily for a structurally sound cage, most deem it not worth it. Reptile edge still makes cages akin to t-slot as well as Dragon Stand. I admit they look nice, but look like the seams would be difficult to seal.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Regius_049 View Post
    I can't really speak to this one as I do not use it in my caging.

I would highly recommend HDPE, or more specifically, seaboard/starboard HDPE. The materials is FDA/USDA ceritified, UV stable, and non-porous (makes cleaning much easier and staining is greatly reduced). It is more expensive than PVC, but better in most respects.

Some people still do, but given that t-slot construction is more expensive and not necessarily for a structurally sound cage, most deem it not worth it. Reptile edge still makes cages akin to t-slot as well as Dragon Stand. I admit they look nice, but look like the seams would be difficult to seal.
    Thanks for advice and links. I didn't know anyone was still making cages with modular framing. Reminds me of ESTO connectors. Surprisingly, fleabay might end up being the best source for this type of stuff.
    Last edited by Ernie Mccracken; 03-19-2018 at 08:09 PM.

Thanks
    It looks like Gourmet Rodent, of all companies, sold some cages a couple years back that are similar to what I was thinking. I wonder what happened. I heard an old interview where Mike Layman says that's what he uses for his personal animals.

Thanks

we use a lot of this stuff where I work. thought of using this also.

https://www.8020.net/