Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,147

0 members and 3,147 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Does this look like scale rot??

I noticed my bp scales were reddish and seemed to be pulling a little. I did a search on google of scale rot and looked almost exact same to this. I have went out and bough betadine, triple antibiotic ointment And re checked humidity and temp levels. But before I start doing treatment I would like to know this is Forsure scale rot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Could be, but also looks like a burn

How is your snake set up ? How are you heating the enclosure and do you have the heating elements on a thermostat? What are the high/low temps in the cage? Can you post pictures?
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

3. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Masen136 (03-20-2018)

Thanks

Re: Does this look like scale rot??

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    Could be, but also looks like a burn

How is your snake set up ? How are you heating the enclosure and do you have the heating elements on a thermostat? What are the high/low temps in the cage? Can you post pictures?
    It is a sterilite tub 2.5 feet by 16 inches by 16. Humidity solid 70-75 always. Heat pad(I know bad but it maintaines a max of 91 with my temp gun) also have thermostat. Ambient themp is 75 due to living in Wisconsin(very cold). I would take pictures but just offered him food and want to leave him be. I applied triple antibiotic ointment to his entire lower half when I noticed the red scales. Planing Betadine bath later today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Doesnt look like it to me but I'm not a vet. Does the snake have dry places it can comfortably sit on? Is the substrate kept clean and changed regularly? Scale rot generally comes from being stuck on constantly wet/damp substrate coupled with dirty substrate. You might look at the substrate and think it looks clean but it can be filled with bacteria especially if its warm and humid/wet. Perfect breeding ground for bacteria.

When was the last time the snake shed? Almost all of my snakes get red bellies when they are getting ready to shed. It's one of the easiest way i can tell when Dottie, Caesar or Vic are getting ready as their eyes dont really go blue like my other snakes.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

SDA (03-20-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    Scake rot takes time to develop so give us some history. How long has it been in the tub and how damp is the substrate? What substrate are you using? How often are you cleaning the tub and how is the airflow?

We need to see pictures of the tub and how the heat pad is setup with a thermostat. It must have the probe in physical contact with the heat pad on the outside of the tub. The temp must be measured from the bottom of the tub and not on top of the substrate.

You say the heat pad is 91 degrees. Is that the temperature the thermostat is set to or what you are measuring? Where are you taking temps at?

You say humidity is 70-75% but what are you using to measure it? That percent is slightly high to keep constant and we need to know what you do to keep that percent. If the substrate is too damp and kept so long damp that microorganisms are growing that can cause scale rot and the snake is in subpar conditions where the scales are compromised and there is an infection then improving conditions are far more beneficial than antibiotic ointment and betadine.

If you do have scale rot to the point where it is causing physical issues you need to see a vet to make sure the snake is not immuno compromised and to figure out what type of infection is causing rot.

Antibiotic cream for example will do nothing if it is fungal and betadine will do even less if there is no open wound.

Before you go to a vet, give more information and pictures of the tub setup.

Also answer Sauzo's question about the last time it shed.
    Last edited by SDA; 03-20-2018 at 08:55 AM.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'