Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,712

2 members and 2,710 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: And my girlfriend purchased a red tail boa

I was gonna post the family guy flea exterminator clip but I realized the description had some bad language in it
    Last edited by c0r3yr0s3; 03-22-2018 at 01:44 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Update. My girlfriend insisted on doing what she saw a breeder do on a YouTube video to get rid of the mites. She used hand sanitizer directly on Lucy's skin and Rid lice product on her cage. She fallowed the instructions to a T but is this bad advice? Not sure if is good or bad myself.

Thanks

If it was Rich from Reptile Rapture I’d say it’s good advice - I haven’t watched that video, but he knows what he’s doing. I’m going the Provent-A-Mite route myself, IIRC it’s the same active ingredient as Rid, but Rid is more concentrated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Prognathodon View Post
    If it was Rich from Reptile Rapture I’d say it’s good advice - I haven’t watched that video, but he knows what he’s doing. I’m going the Provent-A-Mite route myself, IIRC it’s the same active ingredient as Rid, but Rid is more concentrated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    That is the guy.

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    My advice is use PAM. Wipe down the outside of the boas cage as well as the upper and lower rims of the tank and the table. That will hopefully keep as many mites contained in there as you can.

Then throw all the cage stuff into zip lock bags and hit it with a shot of PAM and seal em up and put them in the garage for 3 months while you are treating the snake.

For the cage, just leave a hide and a water bowl. Use paper towels or newspaper and spray them with PAM. Spray the inside of the cage and cover it and let it simmer for 15-30 mins. Then replace the snake. I leave the water bowl out overnight on the night of fresh application. Do this every week for 3 months.

And for the other snakes, i would apply a one time treatment to the bedding. Take the snakes out, water bowl and then give the inside of the cage a light shot and let it dry. make sure it is dry and then replace the snake. Leave the water bowl out overnight. Then wipe down the outside of the those cages too as well as the table or stand they are on.

Thats what i did the one time i had to deal with mites when i brought home a hitchhiker and Luna got got mites. Luckily they didnt spread and i moved Luna upstairs into a spare bedroom for quarantine.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (03-24-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    My advice is use PAM. Wipe down the outside of the boas cage as well as the upper and lower rims of the tank and the table. That will hopefully keep as many mites contained in there as you can.

Then throw all the cage stuff into zip lock bags and hit it with a shot of PAM and seal em up and put them in the garage for 3 months while you are treating the snake.

For the cage, just leave a hide and a water bowl. Use paper towels or newspaper and spray them with PAM. Spray the inside of the cage and cover it and let it simmer for 15-30 mins. Then replace the snake. I leave the water bowl out overnight on the night of fresh application. Do this every week for 3 months.

And for the other snakes, i would apply a one time treatment to the bedding. Take the snakes out, water bowl and then give the inside of the cage a light shot and let it dry. make sure it is dry and then replace the snake. Leave the water bowl out overnight. Then wipe down the outside of the those cages too as well as the table or stand they are on.

Thats what i did the one time i had to deal with mites when i brought home a hitchhiker and Luna got got mites. Luckily they didnt spread and i moved Luna upstairs into a spare bedroom for quarantine.
    I convinced her that we needed to use PAM. We did as you suggested. I also noticed she was about to shed. Will the mites burrow under the loose shed to keep safe or will they be killed either way?

Thanks

Lucy is now in full shed mode. I hope that after the shed we can treat her again to be safe. Will the mites burrow under the old shed to get to her?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    Lucy is now in full shed mode. I hope that after the shed we can treat her again to be safe. Will the mites burrow under the old shed to get to her?
    Once her colour returns and eyes clear make sure you spray the viv a few times each day until she sheds her skin !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    I doubt it. You can treat in shed. You never directly apply PAM to the snake. Permythrin is a poison. I dont care if its NIX or PAM, I personally would not apply it directly to the snake.

I have never used NIX but like i said, i had success with PAM. Just give a light spraying inside the cage on everything except the water bowl and snake, cover the cage and let the stuff soak in for 15-30 mins and then put the snake in and replace the water bowl the next day. Spray some on a rag and wipe down the outside of the cage and the table it sits on. Did it every week for 3 months and the mites were gone.

And the feeding on the snake is only part of the mites life cycle. They leave the snake to lay eggs preferably in a warm, dark, humid place like the upper cage corners. Eggs are not killed by Permythrin and can survive for months. This is why you have to keep treating for 3 months. You need to break the cycle and kill off any hatchlings.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 03-29-2018 at 03:11 PM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks

I will post new photos this evening after work of her new paint job now that she is not in shed any longer. Was suppressed she shed backwards (tail first). I also took her and Rainbow to the vet this past Saturday for a health checkup. She still has scars from past feedings of life prey. We got some ointment from the vet she said to put on her worst spots because they are still healing. Poor girl is a sweet heart. She did not eat Sunday but did eat 2 weeks ago a pre killed large rat. I think being in shed effected her appetite. Will offer again next Sunday. She is healthy other than that.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast