Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,640

3 members and 1,637 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Has anyone done this?

A friend of mine who breeds reticulated pythons asked me, when she is of size, if I would allow him to breed her? I don't have any plans to breed her on my own at all. He said he would bring a boy (another suntiger) to the house and us allow them time to lock etc. I am not sure how this would work. He said he would buy all the eggs from me and incubate them himself. I know about quarantining him for a few weeks etc. He said he does this with other people already so he seams to know what he is doing. What are your thoughts? Is this worth doing? I have read that some female retics can become egg bound and other issues? I just don't know.

Thanks
    I personally wouldnt, since he could easily bail and then leave you to care for a bunch of hungry baby retics.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts
    if you have no intentions of breeding her, then don't.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 03-19-2018 at 01:46 PM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (03-19-2018),GoingPostal (03-20-2018),PokeyTheNinja (04-07-2018)

Thanks

Re: Has anyone done this?

Quote Originally Posted by Alter-Echo View Post
    I personally wouldnt, since he could easily bail and then leave you to care for a bunch of hungry baby retics.
    This is true. That would be a massive undertaking. One I am not prepared for.

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 531 Posts

There is a vendor I see sometimes that does something similar with his sales tactics. He tells people to buy these small snakes (baby retics) and keep them till they get too big to handle. Then you can breed it. He will take your eggs and big snake and give you a new baby retic. So basically you are buying a snake, spending money to raise it then supplying him with a breeder size snake plus all the eggs........That is if he is even good on his word of taking the snake back and giving you a baby. Most of his customers are ill informed and have no idea what they are getting into taking on a baby retic.
    Silent Hill Reptiles and Rodents
    https://www.silenthillreptiles.com/

1.4 Carpet pythons
    15.21 Corn snakes
    1.1 of SD reticulated pythons, cali kings,black house snakes,trans-pecos,northern pines
    1.2 Japanese rat, 1.3 natrix n. natrix
    6.1 Balls, 1.0 orange Halloween ATB, 1.0 bci

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 67temp View Post
    There is a vendor I see sometimes that does something similar with his sales tactics. He tells people to buy these small snakes (baby retics) and keep them till they get too big to handle. Then you can breed it. He will take your eggs and big snake and give you a new baby retic. So basically you are buying a snake, spending money to raise it then supplying him with a breeder size snake plus all the eggs........That is if he is even good on his word of taking the snake back and giving you a baby. Most of his customers are ill informed and have no idea what they are getting into taking on a baby retic.
    The breeder is someone I know personally and hope he would never practice like that. I purchased the snake online. He and I was just casually talking about it.

Thanks
    man doing that is like giving up $$$ and big money..... but if someone were to just give me a baby that they wanted as a breeder, id rase it off my dime as long as i knew i would then get another for free and no strings... but that person will make $ off of you three separate times.... one when you buy, 2 when you feed/rase it for 2-4 years, then 3 on the babies that they would be selling.... stupid if you ask me. (about the guy selling then trading when breeding size)

now if you owned a female and he wanted to breed it once it got to that size, i would personally do a 40/60 split (you being the 60), for at least the first clutch, then over a few clutches or the second clutch to the other way because at first you would be having to feed this growing snake for 4 years, then breed it and lightly feed it during the gravid time, if at all. then he would incubate them and sell them.... he really has no work to be done for the most part and babies are cheaper to feed....
    Ball
    1.0 Enchi Lesser Killer Bee
    0.1 Killer King Clown
    0.1 Mystic Potion

Retic
    1.0 Purple Phase Albino

Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 531 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    The breeder is someone I know personally and hope he would never practice like that. I purchased the snake online. He and I was just casually talking about it.
    I'm not saying the person you know is doing that but saying I've seem something similar. Really he probably just wants access to another breeding female. Females are always more valuable than males because they are the ones that lay eggs and he did offer to buy the eggs.
    Silent Hill Reptiles and Rodents
    https://www.silenthillreptiles.com/

1.4 Carpet pythons
    15.21 Corn snakes
    1.1 of SD reticulated pythons, cali kings,black house snakes,trans-pecos,northern pines
    1.2 Japanese rat, 1.3 natrix n. natrix
    6.1 Balls, 1.0 orange Halloween ATB, 1.0 bci

Thanks
    Unless it's an animal with very rare genetics, I'd skip it. There are few people equipped for giant snakes (and fewer every year, imo) and the big commercial breeders already produce more than enough to meet demand.

Dumping a bunch of unremarkable retic babies from some random pairing onto the market isn't a good look for the hobby. Also not worth the hassle or risk for a little money.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Mccracken For This Useful Post:

MD_Pythons (04-06-2018),PokeyTheNinja (04-07-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scherf View Post
    man doing that is like giving up $$$ and big money..... but if someone were to just give me a baby that they wanted as a breeder, id rase it off my dime as long as i knew i would then get another for free and no strings... but that person will make $ off of you three separate times.... one when you buy, 2 when you feed/rase it for 2-4 years, then 3 on the babies that they would be selling.... stupid if you ask me. (about the guy selling then trading when breeding size)

now if you owned a female and he wanted to breed it once it got to that size, i would personally do a 40/60 split (you being the 60), for at least the first clutch, then over a few clutches or the second clutch to the other way because at first you would be having to feed this growing snake for 4 years, then breed it and lightly feed it during the gravid time, if at all. then he would incubate them and sell them.... he really has no work to be done for the most part and babies are cheaper to feed....
    He did not sell me the retic I am getting today. She is 2 years old already. I am getting her for a pet not a breeder. He just asked if I would be willing to work out a deal with breeding her. I said I would think about it. She is a Sunfire Tiger. He wants to breed his male Sunfire Tiger to her. Not sure if I will do this or not. Is not even possible for 2 more years and she is underfed as is.

Are there any instances that not breeding her would be unhealthy? I want her healthy and happy.