Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,997

1 members and 2,996 guests
Ruby,
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: ReptiChip vs. Reptile Prime Size Comparison

Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post
    Just wasting money on large constrictors. They release Noah level floods of liquid and it would just make you work extra hard. Plus they are so heavy bodied they would just push the stuff around into a pile anyway. I say just stick with paper.
    I agree completely! My Bloods and Short Tails flood their tubs with urine 2 - 3 times per week sometimes. This stuff seems like it would be great for people with only a pet Ball Python or two, but it would be astronomically expensive for people with many snakes/enclosures. Especially having to pay shipping on every bag... Nope!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Aedryan Methyus For This Useful Post:

Charles8088 (03-18-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aedryan Methyus View Post
    I agree completely! My Bloods and Short Tails flood their tubs with urine 2 - 3 times per week sometimes. This stuff seems like it would be great for people with only a pet Ball Python or two, but it would be astronomically expensive for people with many snakes/enclosures. Especially having to pay shipping on every bag... Nope!
    Disagree

I have 6 snakes, one in a Display cage. I go through that stuff extremely slowly because it cleans easy.
    Performs well in all aforementioned aspects.

Would also be awesome for arboreal species or Carpets.

The only ones I am not sure about are big snakes that literally flood their cages and are very messy, such as Retics.

Sure, if someone has hundreds of snakes, or even 20 or more, price becomes an issue.

Anyone curious, just try it. If they will begin to discount multiple purchases or start combined shipping the price is a lot more reasonable given how economic it has proven to be so far.

And I'm very, very particular when it comes to cleaning ...

Its great that we have so many options, there has got to be something out there for everyone and their situation, preferences and needs
    Last edited by zina10; 03-18-2018 at 05:04 PM.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

4. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Charles8088 (03-18-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Yeah I dont think it would work well for Caesar as basically does unleash the tsunami lol. More wondering how it will work for the juvenile boas. I'm more just kicking around the idea as i do like to try new substrates but not sure i can really swallow a $200+ pill for substrate every couple months when aspen has been working fie for 5+ years and is so cheap.

Sure i see people saying you can go months without changing it but I'm rather OCD about keeping my pets clean. Not so bad as to do hospital sterilization but i also dont like letting substrate go for more than 2-3 months as no matter how clean you think it is, the snake has crawled through it own poop or piss and will track bits of it around which are too small for you to see but are still there nevertheless.

Like i said, i tried to email them but it isnt working so I am going to call tomorrow to just see if they offer any kind of discount for 10+ bags. Because honestly, charging the same shipping for each bag when you order 10+ is just ridiculous. I mean companies like ReptiChips just charges a flat $20 shipping no matter if you order 1 or 100. So obviously it's possible.

And Zina, i dont have Amazon Prime so that deal wouldnt work for me. And like you said, I'm just going to try the bag i ordered and go from there but i do want to see my options if i do like it. I'm the kind of person who is usually all in on something i like, be it bad or good lol.

Also might just be me but when i looked at the FB page, its weird how they dont have any form of contact and only show pics of reptiles from other people. They dont talk about their product or anything. Just makes me wonder a little as i like to know the technical and specifics of a product i am buying. And i want easy and multiple ways of contacting them. Sketchy contact and no product details or anything makes me think 'fly by night' deals.

But anyways, like i said, I ordered a bag so we'll see how it works for Pat and possibly I might try it on Gina and see how she likes as she is a rather picky diva lol. She didnt like Reptichips for the longest time and would avoid it like hot lava, climbing from hide to water bowl to hide and up on the shelf to avoid it lol. Then she finally came around and liked it.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Charles8088 (03-18-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aedryan Methyus View Post
    At first glance without using the stuff, i kind of agree with you just from the cost perspective. If you had a couple BPs in a little rack, stuff probably is awesome. Have 6 4x2 cages and 3 6x3 cages with large constrictors that piss 6 inch craters of liquid, not so awesome. Granted though the boas only piss about once every 2-4 weeks but Caesar pisses like the end of the world is coming. He just lets it fly wherever he is haha.

And yeah, that shipping per bag is a killer. When i just plugged in all the numbers into their website just to get an idea of the cost, shipping was going to run me $49.90 for 10 bags. That is more expensive than shipping an AP T8 cage and almost as much as a T10 lol. For 10 bags of substrates....

But like i said, i will give the benefit of the doubt and hold judgement until i actually get my bag and use it and talk to them about any form of 'deals' for ordering in bulk. Who knows, maybe I'll love the stuff and it will be the second coming in substrate form lol. I really want to know how the stuff works for Ziggy as he has big snakes.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Charles8088 (03-18-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    Sauzo, for pat when you get your forever cage, dog pads that are unscented are amazing! I use a 2x2 for ganja and it so simple for cleanup and doesn't mess up humidity at all
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SDA For This Useful Post:

Charles8088 (03-18-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post
    Sauzo, for pat when you get your forever cage, dog pads that are unscented are amazing! I use a 2x2 for ganja and it so simple for cleanup and doesn't mess up humidity at all
    Yeah i like a more real looking substrate. I have been thinking of going bio on Pat PVC. Pat loved the Reptichips and was digging in it the first few days. I dont think he ever saw the stuff before lol. It was like i had a little yellow boa for a few days. He doesnt really dig in it any more but he does sit on it a lot at night along with playing scuba steve in his big water bowl on the floor lol. Guess a few people i talked to said males do that a lot where as females usually just maybe move from one perch to another or get a drink.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Charles8088 (03-18-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Sauzo,

for what its worth, that deal on Amazon is for anyone, you do not have to be "prime" on Amazon.

Shipping is free over $25 and you still get the 30% off on more then one item.

The only difference is it may take a couple days longer to get to you, since its not 2 day shipping.

Would still be $29.40 for 2 bags with free shipping and $14.70 for each additional bag, also shipped free.
    Last edited by zina10; 03-18-2018 at 07:46 PM.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

14. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Charles8088 (03-18-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    Sauzo,

for what its worth, that deal on Amazon is for anyone, you do not have to be "prime" on Amazon.

Shipping is free over $25 and you still get the 30% off on more then one item.

The only difference is it may take a couple days longer to get to you, since its not 2 day shipping.

Would still be $29.40 for 2 bags with free shipping and $14.70 for each additional bag, also shipped free.
    Oh, well heck, if i like the stuff, maybe I'll use that deal if they dont offer any kind of bulk deal.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Charles8088 (03-18-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

The way I see it in a nutshell. Coco fiber such as eco earth or reptile prime is great for bedding, humidity and waste absorption, but it is costly, and for keepers with multiple snakes, paper substrate will always be the most economic and simple solution.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

Charles8088 (03-18-2018),EL-Ziggy (03-18-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Totally agree with you Godzilla. I like the functionality and the aesthetics of the coco fiber substrate but paper would definitely be less expensive. I have 8 medium to large sized snakes with one baby giant growing and the reptile prime stuff seems like a good fit for my collection.
    Last edited by EL-Ziggy; 03-18-2018 at 10:02 PM.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast