Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,424

2 members and 1,422 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    going back to the original question that was asked..

Here is my old pic when I compared substrates.

ReptiChip vs Reptile Prime (formerly Herptopia)

hope that helps

oh, here is another one

Eco Earth vs. Reptile Prime

Last edited by zina10; 03-17-2018 at 08:02 PM.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

2. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Charles8088 (03-17-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Re: ReptiChip vs. Reptile Prime Size Comparison

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    going back to the original question that was asked..

Here is my old pic when I compared substrates.

ReptiChip vs Reptile Prime (formerly Herptopia)

hope that helps

oh, here is another one

Eco Earth vs. Reptile Prime

Yeah i see the difference. It's like a midway point between Eco Earth and Reptichips. I bet you could find a cheaper same size from a garden store. I know like ReptiChips has it's knockoffs like Pro Coco and the other brand i cant remember now which JM found a shank or needle or something in.

Might be decent for my GTP though. I'm using Reptichips for him and so far he seems to love the stuff. I dont think he has ever seen it so he has been digging in it at night for about 30 mins and then going into his water dish or back up on his perches lol.

Here's a close up of the Reptichips in his cage. It fills nicely yet leaves enough rough spots for the snake to grip and 'exercise'
    Last edited by Sauzo; 03-17-2018 at 08:12 PM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (03-19-2018),Charles8088 (03-17-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Yeah i see the difference. It's like a midway point between Eco Earth and Reptichips. I bet you could find a cheaper same size from a garden store. I know like ReptiChips has it's knockoffs like Pro Coco and the other brand i cant remember now which JM found a shank or needle or something in.

Might be decent for my GTP though. I'm using Reptichips for him and so far he seems to love the stuff. I dont think he has ever seen it so he has been digging in it at night for about 30 mins and then going into his water dish or back up on his perches lol.
    If I could find a knock off that is just like it (it really is quite different from anything I've seen) I'd be on that like a fly on manure! LOL

Actually I think you would like it for your GTP. Not so much because he/she would prefer it, but it makes cleaning so much easier, esp with the tiny but frequent "messes" they make. The bigger and different colored chips in ReptiChip make that more difficult, imho..

Edited to say, even if you got the ReptiChip ground up a bit, it would still not feel like the Reptile Prime. Hard to explain but the Prime is fluffier, softer feeling. Not just smaller chunks of ReptiChip. But yeah, I would love to be able to find it elsewhere..and cheaper!
    Last edited by zina10; 03-17-2018 at 08:13 PM.
    Zina

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Charles8088 (03-17-2018)

Thanks

If I could find a knock off that is just like it (it really is quite different from anything I've seen) I'd be on that like a fly on manure! LOL

Actually I think you would like it for your GTP. Not so much because he/she would prefer it, but it makes cleaning so much easier, esp with the tiny but frequent "messes" they make. The bigger and different colored chips in ReptiChip make that more difficult, imho..
    True. Like i said, i will probably order 1 bag and see how it works for him and see how he likes it. Right now, i kind of just gave up looking for the little tiny poops and just throw the whole stuff out every week lol. It's only an 18x18 cube so a block will last at least a month or two and thats with me changing it out every week. But yeah, I'm kind of curious to try this stuff now lol.

No way i could use it for all my snakes though unless they give me wholesale pricing for it if i bought it in boxes of 20-30 bags at a time. No way I'm paying $15.99 a bag plus shipping for how much i would need lol. And I'm rather disappointed. Just talked to the guy who i was hoping would have a litter or two of moonglow and/or super moonglow BCI boas and none of his females took. Probably going to have to wait until next year for his moonglow litters He does have a few snows i think is what he told me but BAH!! I want a moonglow
    Last edited by Sauzo; 03-17-2018 at 08:19 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Charles8088 (03-17-2018)

Thanks

True. Like i said, i will probably order 1 bag and see how it works for him and see how he likes it. Right now, i kind of just gave up looking for the little tiny poops and just throw the whole stuff out every week lol. It's only an 18x18 cube so a block will last at least a month or two and thats with me changing it out every week. But yeah, I'm kind of curious to try this stuff now lol.

No way i could use it for all my snakes though unless they give me wholesale pricing for it if i bought it in boxes of 20-30 bags at a time. No way I'm paying $15.99 a bag plus shipping for how much i would need lol. And I'm rather disappointed. Just talked to the guy who i was hoping would have a litter or two of moonglow and/or super moonglow BCI boas and none of his females took. Probably going to have to wait until next year for his moonglow litters
    Price is most definitely a big factor. Like I've said...if one has many animals, it adds up painfully. Esp. since there is no "combined" shipping. I've been waiting on that since the stuff came out.
    Since I only have a few animals, to me, the convenience of it outweighs the price.

There is no way you will have to throw out the entire substrate when you clean, though. It is easy to see where the mess is. Well, with your teeny one it might actually be harder. But you will notice a tiny "wet" spot with some urates. Unless that is somewhere buried within the plants.

edited to say, so sorry about the BCI That stinks !!! Is no-one else breeding them?
    Last edited by zina10; 03-17-2018 at 08:27 PM.
    Zina

10. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Charles8088 (03-17-2018)

Thanks
    Wonder how it is more fluffy and soft though. It is the same stuff, coco husk fiber. And it is claimed to be 100% pure. But anyways, you just killed me when you said there is no combined shipping. So you pay a fixed shipping per bag no matter what? I know with ReptiChips, they have a flat rate of $20 shipping no matter how many blocks you order. I liked that as i just order like 5-10 blocks at once and have it sitting next to the cages along with the bales of aspen.

Well i just throw out all substrate every month or two regardless. I did stretch the boas out to 3 months once but to me, any substrate starts to get a funky smell after a couple months. Not like waste but just not a very fresh smell. Maybe the potted live plants in the cage will clean the air? So far it has seemed to work but i also just changed all my little boas, dumerils and BP cages with fresh aspen yesterday.

And yeah, Pat seems to only poop on the floor. He comes down at night for his nightly digging and swim like i said and thats when he drops a little poop or piss and then commences with climbing all over all night lol.

But yeah, if you have a smaller collection or smaller caging like a rack, i can see how the stuff might be nice as it is a nice median between the 2 extremes of the coco husk. But for someone with large cages and large snakes and a retic who lives to piss, i would be run to the poor house faster than a fat kid going down on a seesaw.

Haha no problem. I 'm sure there are others out there but i personally trust this guy and have known him awhile. He was going to cut me a nice deal on a super moonglow female. They usually go for about $1200 but i was going to get it for sub $1000 pricing . I told him that he has depressed me now so i am going to double my efforts to find me that perfect Peruvian BCC......or maybe that little red neo Biak cross GTP. But i would need new caging and stuff for it. i have a cage laying around and set up that i can throw a moonglow or Peruvian BCC into

And have i told you how much i hate Eco Earth? Lol. I think Gina hates it more as our first 2 bonding experiences were of me propping her mouth open, hanging her head towards the floor and hosing her mouth out with a spray bottle. Luckily she hasnt held it against me and is a total couch potato of a boa lol.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 03-17-2018 at 08:41 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Charles8088 (03-17-2018)

Thanks
    Hahaha...totally understand !!!

It was the one sore spot for me, too, and I have asked a few times about combined shipping back when it was Herptopia. I was always told "its coming".

But now its Reptile Prime and that one time I've ordered (direct) the shipping was for every bag

Perhaps its time to ask about it again. Also, not sure how buying it from Amazon is. I'm going through it SO SLOWLY I won't run out anytime soon. Bought 5 bags, still have 4 !! LOL. But I also still had to go through some leftover ReptiChip during this time, so now I will use it up faster!

I have the solution for your "Blues". Retail therapy.

Get something to fill that cage and get a red GTP, too. You know you want to...

Comon, you're worth it
    Last edited by zina10; 03-17-2018 at 08:41 PM.
    Zina

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Charles8088 (03-17-2018),Sauzo (03-17-2018)

Thanks

Hahaha...totally understand !!!

It was the one sore spot for me, too, and I have asked a few times about combined shipping back when it was Herptopia. I was always told "its coming".

But now its Reptile Prime and that one time I've ordered (direct) the shipping was for every bag

Perhaps its time to ask about it again. Also, not sure how buying it from Amazon is. I'm going through it SO SLOWLY I won't run out anytime soon. Bought 5 bags, still have 4 !! LOL. But I also still had to go through some leftover ReptiChip during this time, so now I will use it up faster!

I have the solution for your "Blues". Retail therapy.

Get something to fill that cage and get a red GTP, too. You know you want to...

Comon, you're worth it
    Lol, i would be murdered or put outside with a suitcase on the curb if i got both. I am already looking at about $1000 for a Peruvian BCC. Add in another $900 or so for a USCBB red neo biak cross plus another $300 or so in caging and the set up for the GTP...yeah i would be murdered haha. But until then, it would be like heaven...then quickly turn to hell haha.

Anyways, got me kind of excited to try a bag of this stuff for Pat and see how he takes to it. If he hates it and bites me, I'm sending him to see you Zina
    Last edited by Sauzo; 03-17-2018 at 08:48 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Charles8088 (03-17-2018)

Thanks

Lol, i would be murdered or put outside with a suitcase on the curb if i got both. I am already looking at about $1000 for a Peruvian BCC. Add in another $900 or so for a USCBB red neo biak cross plus another $300 or so in caging and the set up for the GTP...yeah i would be murdered haha. But until then, it would be like heaven...then quickly turn to hell haha.

Anyways, got me kind of excited to try a bag of this stuff for Pat and see how he takes to it. If he hates it and bites me, I'm sending him to see you Zina

Ok, he will hate it, he will so hate it, just send him to me now

btw. Its easier to ask for forgiveness, then to ask for permission
    Last edited by zina10; 03-17-2018 at 08:51 PM.
    Zina

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (03-17-2018),Charles8088 (03-17-2018),Sauzo (03-17-2018)

Thanks
    I just checked the Amazon price. Its actually the same that what I paid, with the shipping incorporated. So $21 a bag.

BUT, I noticed it say "promotion available"

When I clicked on that it said romotion Available
    Save 30% each on Qualifying items offered by Midwest Organics / CatSpot Litter when you purchase 2 or more. Here's how (restrictions apply)

So I put 4 bags into my cart, to see if this would work.

You have to go all the way to the checkout page and then sure enough, it took $30 off the price of each bag. Which made it cheaper then what I paid PLUS shipping.
    Basically, $14.70 per bag. Now that is a nice savings actually. Especially with free 2 day shipping (on Prime. Amazon Prime, Prime on Prime..LOL)

Well, at that price I hit "place your order".

Anyone looking to buy, that's not a bad deal. I hope that doesn't count as advertising? Just sharing the savings...
    Zina

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Charles8088 (03-18-2018),Godzilla78 (03-17-2018),silverdreams (03-22-2018)

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast