Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,027

2 members and 3,025 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

First time having a ball python

Hello, I joined this forum because this is the first time we have had a ball python in our family. We got him at Uncle Bills, a store in Indiana. The price was 3+ what they go for in other places, but we wanted to avoid the chain pet stores.

Sobek (as we named "him") seems to be doing great. Explores his exo terra, doesn't mind being picked up (no defensiveness or hissing...etc) We left him alone and let him settle in.

He is on live food and the pet store said we must feed him live because that is what they fed him and it will be almost impossible to switch him. We knew going in we might have to try and transition off live. They said 1 full grown mouse once a week. We tried feeding him on the schedule the pet store had him on and he ate with no problem whatsoever. It has been 48 since he ate and today is also the first day we've actually handled him since moving him into his exo terra. He was supper chill about it, coiled up at first, but then uncoiling and trying to explore all over me. He's back in the exo terra and went straight to the warm side.

I also weighed him today. He is 257 grams. The pet store said he was estimated to be 1 year old, also actual gender is unknown, so we're just calling him male for now.

We've done our research and believe he needs to be switched to rats and that he is possibly underweight. We are keeping some live mice at the moment for him, but really would like to have him on frozen if he will go for it. We've kept rats and mice as pets before, so it is hard to care for them with the sole purpose of being food. We understand the circle of life and won't starve him if he really does refuse frozen. The mice are being kept humanly as we would keep them if they were pets.

Also Uncle Bill said to keep his humidity between 40-60%. My research said 50-60%. What do experienced keepers say about this? Every thing I read have different recommendations for heat as well.

Oh and his exo terra is 40 gallons. It seems pretty big compared to his size. He has two hides and a water bowl. We're going to switch out for a bigger bowl, but do you suggest putting in more hides or something else to take up some of the space? He explores and doesn't seem to bothered by it, but then again, I probably project my human feelings on him.

Our family now consists of Sobek (Ball python!), 1 Syrian hamster (Mogget), 3 cats (Apollo, Phoebe & Hera), plus we have 4 feeder mice who are treated as if they were pets with the best care they need.

Here are some photos. I'm sorry that the light quality isn't the same in all photos. I'm guessing he's just a "normal" ball python.

Last edited by Dragonfly Alice; 03-17-2018 at 12:37 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dragonfly Alice For This Useful Post:

the_rotten1 (03-17-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    A beautiful normal. He needs bigger meals now. Weaned rats I believe for his weight.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnieskys For This Useful Post:

Dragonfly Alice (03-17-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 667 Posts
    I would fill in that tank if you could for his own security. Always seems best to pack it in and slowly remove as they get bigger. Good idea getting him a nice big one though I’m regretting that from my first enclosure.

Also word rkt he wise bevause it happened to me. Be careful of the 3D background. If they can get behind it they will and it’s annoying.

I’d shoot for 50-60 humidity for sure.

Why do you feel it will be impossible to switch him to frozen? If he has a good feed response and you prep the prey the right way many people make the switch.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Phillydubs For This Useful Post:

Dragonfly Alice (03-17-2018),Godzilla78 (03-17-2018),MissterDog (03-17-2018),Zincubus (03-17-2018)

Thanks
    I would suggest having two hides that are the same (you can use the other ones for decor) one on the hot side and one the cold so Sobek dosen't choose security over thermoregulating. Speaking of, I see you have a stick on thermometer.. they are pretty much no good, and you'll want to avoid any other sticky things (especially tape!) in your viv, as snakes can get stuck and hurt. You'll want to get a probed thermometer for the hot side and also a temp gun to check temps quickly. And then speaking of that, I'm guessing you have a heat mat, is it regulated by a thermostat?
    As for foliage, many people get fake plants/leaves from the dollar store. As long as there are no sharp bits, should be fine!
    Congrats on getting a beep, they are great fun and I doubt you'll only have one for very long!
    1.1 Humans (Dom & Cait)
    0.1 Normal Ball (Wanda 'Booper') 0.1 Pastel Ball (Peaches)
    1.0 Spider Ball (Cinnamon) 1.0 Caramel Ball (Mars Bar) 1.0 Butter Sucker (Orion)
    0.1 Leopard Gecko (Hecate)
    0.3 Cats (Loki, Meg and Maisy)
    0.0.2 Goldfish (Sushi and Spot)
    0.2 Chickens (Lottie and Tiffany)

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Booper For This Useful Post:

Dragonfly Alice (03-17-2018),MissterDog (03-17-2018),Zincubus (03-17-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    Also that stick on gauge needs to come out. Nothing sticky ever inside the cage. Also the gauge is way to high. All gauges are at snake level since that is where they dwell. Get an accurite digital and a jumpstart thermostat if you don't have them.

I also agree with identical hides and plants to make baby feel more secure. Also cover the outside sides of the tank.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sunnieskys For This Useful Post:

Dragonfly Alice (03-17-2018),Zincubus (03-17-2018)

Thanks

Re: First time having a ball python

I don't think it would be impossible to switch to frozen/thawed. The pet store said it would be almost impossible. I feel they just want us to keep coming to them for live food. We can't buy live food near where we live, so we'd have to make a trip once a month to get more live feed. (We can buy frozen food near where we live with no problem.)

We are keeping the humidity between 50 and 60, despite what the pet store said.

We are going to fill the tank in for sure. The 3D background came attached to the exo terra. I will double check it is secure. Thanks for confirming my thought about his meals. He will be getting bigger meals from now on.

As for the thermometer issue, we also have a probe thermometer that does humidity as well, but you can't see it in the picture. Getting a second one for the other side asap. We will get two hides the same size. We do use a heat mat, but it wasn't on a thermostat. I'll get a heat gun, too.

Thanks a lot everyone for all your welcomes and suggestions. I am willing to listen to all suggestions as I want his life to be the best it can be.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly Alice View Post
    As for the thermometer issue, we also have a probe thermometer that does humidity as well, but you can't see it in the picture. Getting a second one for the other side asap. We will get two hides the same size. We do use a heat mat, but it wasn't on a thermostat. I'll get a heat gun, too.
    You need to unplug a heat mat not on a thermostat asap, they can get very hot! If it feels hot to the touch for you, it is much too hot for your baby as human temps are about 37 Celsius/98 Fahrenheit and the best hot temp for your baby is 33 C/90 F.

Also I said heat gun, but I mean a temp gun, just to clear that up I did a google to recommend you one, and realized my mistake whoops I bought an exoterra one that was quite pricey, honestly you can get away with buying an off brand 'yellow' one, have a look on Amazon and you'll see what I mean.
    1.1 Humans (Dom & Cait)
    0.1 Normal Ball (Wanda 'Booper') 0.1 Pastel Ball (Peaches)
    1.0 Spider Ball (Cinnamon) 1.0 Caramel Ball (Mars Bar) 1.0 Butter Sucker (Orion)
    0.1 Leopard Gecko (Hecate)
    0.3 Cats (Loki, Meg and Maisy)
    0.0.2 Goldfish (Sushi and Spot)
    0.2 Chickens (Lottie and Tiffany)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Booper For This Useful Post:

Dragonfly Alice (03-18-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Ta da ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Booper (03-17-2018),Dragonfly Alice (03-18-2018)

Thanks

I have all my beeps minus two in a exotera and well the two newer editions haven’t figured out the background yet, but yes just be cautious lol also NO HALLOW DECOR TREES 🤣 I learned the hard way twice along with another one of our members recently, I’m just doing you a favor and telling you. Head my warning lol other the. That everyone has covered everything else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Aerries For This Useful Post:

Dragonfly Alice (03-18-2018)

Thanks

We unplugged the heat mat. I know what you meant about the gun, even though I called it a heat gun, too.

Right now, we have two heat lamps on both cool and warm side because our ambient air is very cold because of the winter. Cool side stays above 75 with the low watt heat bulb on that side and gets up to 80-85 when it is not as cold in the room. I feel bad that I thought the warm side was good, but I had the wrong mat and wrong thermometer. We're getting a temp gun and thermometer probe for that side asap. We are going to the store right now to exchange and get the stuff we need.(Plus getting matching hides and fake plants to fill out the exoterra) I really am thankful for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Booper View Post
    I have been lurking a little and saw the warning about the hallow logs, so no worries there.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerries View Post

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Dragonfly Alice For This Useful Post:

Aerries (03-17-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast