Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,176

0 members and 3,176 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Ball python reptile prime bedding benefits?

Hello,

I was wondering if there are any benefits to the ball python with different types of substrate.
    I am currently using paper towel, humidity is great so set ups are perfect. Then, I came across the reptile prime coconut fiber substrate? that lot of people seem to use.
    Ofc, some substrate can control humidity but other than that, any other benefits coconut fiber substrate have?
    Don't know if it is worth money to buy substrate that won't change much from my paper towel.
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    The benefits I like best are as follow:

NO MORE SMELL !!

When I had my snakes on paper towels that smell ..ugh
    If they soiled at night or while I wasn't home, that smell penetrated the entire room
    Now, I have to go looking for the mess, because I don't smell it. Aspen also didn't do a good job.
    Also, no more stinky snakes. On paper towels they sometimes ended up laying on urine soaked paper. Now its easy for them to avoid the urine because it stays contained in a small area.

Easy to spot clean !!

Super easy to spot clean. The mess stays very contained, you don't waste a lot of substrate cleaning up. Just scoop out the soiled substrate, swipe the spot with a F-10 soaked paper towel, push clean substrate back into the spot, done. I have yet to do a "deep clean". Just no need, but then, I'm super particular about spot cleaning very well.

Other then that, it looks good, too.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

3. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Sgt7212 (03-16-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Ball python reptile prime bedding benefits?

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    The benefits I like best are as follow:

NO MORE SMELL !!

When I had my snakes on paper towels that smell ..ugh
    If they soiled at night or while I wasn't home, that smell penetrated the entire room
    Now, I have to go looking for the mess, because I don't smell it. Aspen also didn't do a good job.
    Also, no more stinky snakes. On paper towels they sometimes ended up laying on urine soaked paper. Now its easy for them to avoid the urine because it stays contained in a small area.

Easy to spot clean !!

Super easy to spot clean. The mess stays very contained, you don't waste a lot of substrate cleaning up. Just scoop out the soiled substrate, swipe the spot with a F-10 soaked paper towel, push clean substrate back into the spot, done. I have yet to do a "deep clean". Just no need, but then, I'm super particular about spot cleaning very well.

Other then that, it looks good, too.
    Question, so if the snake pees on the substrate, does it get solid? if you get what I mean. Is it very noticeable where the snake peed without digging through the substrate? I guess the poops can be spotted easily.
    And you mentioned that you swipe down the spot, does that mean pee gets through the substrate to the bottom?
    Also, one problem with paper towel is that when snake pees, the humidity gets up to 100%, since I am using small tub. Do they absorb very well?

Thanks! very helpful to hear from experience!

Thanks
    It doesn't get solid. Not like a clumping litter would.

It feels like wet dirt, only fluffier. What it does is soak up a lot of the liquid and therefore containing it in one spot. But it still feels like wet dirt.

Unlike with Repti Chip, it is very noticeable where the snake peed. The substrate turns darker and usually you have some urates right there, too.

The pee doesn't really get to the bottom (pooling), but its like wet dirt sitting on the bottom, so you want to clean it. I just sweep all the clean substrate away from the wet spot, and then pick up the wet substrate. That leaves me with a bare spot on the bottom. I have a small paper towel that I spray with F10 and then just wipe the spot. Not to get any liquid up (there is none), but to wipe it with sanitizer.

Then you just push the clean substrate over the bare spot, done !
    Zina

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

It doesn't get solid. Not like a clumping litter would.

It feels like wet dirt, only fluffier. What it does is soak up a lot of the liquid and therefore containing it in one spot. But it still feels like wet dirt.

Unlike with Repti Chip, it is very noticeable where the snake peed. The substrate turns darker and usually you have some urates right there, too.

The pee doesn't really get to the bottom (pooling), but its like wet dirt sitting on the bottom, so you want to clean it. I just sweep all the clean substrate away from the wet spot, and then pick up the wet substrate. That leaves me with a bare spot on the bottom. I have a small paper towel that I spray with F10 and then just wipe the spot. Not to get any liquid up (there is none), but to wipe it with sanitizer.

Then you just push the clean substrate over the bare spot, done !
    thanks for the info, I must try it! sounds great. I do check every day but once in a while, if I am not home for couple days and he pees, humidity is gonna explode with pee smell.
    I am probably gonna order it tomorrow haha.
    Where do you order it from? or does it matter? Amazon seems to have prime option for that reptile prime substrate so I am thinking of ordering from amazon.

edit- how long can you use one bag for? I have two snakes in two 15 qt tub at this moment, how long do you think it can last?
    Last edited by gusanr14; 03-17-2018 at 12:51 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    Everything Zina said is true. Also no dust. Love this stuff will never use anything else.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sunnieskys For This Useful Post:

Sgt7212 (03-17-2018),zina10 (03-17-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnieskys View Post
    Everything Zina said is true. Also no dust. Love this stuff will never use anything else.
    how think should I put the substrate? I am using the plastic tub at this moment, so I don't want too thick but I have never used anything else other than paper towel so I am not sure how thick. Honestly, using inch as thickness seems hard. maybe like using finger, how deep does the finger nail goes into the substrate? weird but might be easier to eyeball it haha.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    1/4 to 1/2. And spot clean only for months. This stuff lasts forever. Like seriously still on my first bag from a year ago.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnieskys For This Useful Post:

zina10 (03-17-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gusanr14 View Post
    thanks for the info, I must try it! sounds great. I do check every day but once in a while, if I am not home for couple days and he pees, humidity is gonna explode with pee smell.
    I am probably gonna order it tomorrow haha.
    Where do you order it from? or does it matter? Amazon seems to have prime option for that reptile prime substrate so I am thinking of ordering from amazon.

edit- how long can you use one bag for? I have two snakes in two 15 qt tub at this moment, how long do you think it can last?
    I ordered it direct, but its been a few month ago. Others have ordered from Amazon, I think the price is the same..
    It should last you quite a while, if you spot clean really well, meaning not leaving any soiled substrate behind, you almost never have to do a complete clean out.

I usually have it around 1/2 inch thick or so, but the snakes push it around sometimes, esp. when it is very dry and fluffy. So sometimes they push it towards the side and it can get deeper there while they lay on the bottom, LOL. Next day it seems to be pushed back..
    You don't need it really deep, though, but about 1/2 inch or so I'd say. This way it will soak up any mess nicely.
    Zina

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I ordered it direct, but its been a few month ago. Others have ordered from Amazon, I think the price is the same..
    It should last you quite a while, if you spot clean really well, meaning not leaving any soiled substrate behind, you almost never have to do a complete clean out.

I usually have it around 1/2 inch thick or so, but the snakes push it around sometimes, esp. when it is very dry and fluffy. So sometimes they push it towards the side and it can get deeper there while they lay on the bottom, LOL. Next day it seems to be pushed back..
    You don't need it really deep, though, but about 1/2 inch or so I'd say. This way it will soak up any mess nicely.
    do you have to spray it down when you first put it in the enclosure? or if my humidity is fine, can I just leave it as it is which I am assuming dry. my water bowl itself seems to make humidity level perfect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast