Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,733

2 members and 2,731 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Rounding out my breeding plan, advice appreciated

Hey guys,

So I'm going to start some small breeding program in a year or two. I want two females and a male. My male is my pastel male, 1) female is black widow mocha (black pastel, pastel, spider, and mocha). I have my eye on two other babies in my area. One is a black pastel female, the other is a super pastel mojave fire. Which one will be better with my male and female and the potential pairs they could get? Should I shoot for the super black pastel gene, or should I broaden my gene pool with the mojave fire? I appreciate suggestions. This is still like 1-2 years out for me as my current female is just shy of being a yearling.

Thanks
    I would personally go with the mojo fire. Super black pastels can have kinking and facial deformities and you'd have to deal with either rehoming them, keeping them, or euthanizing any snakes with severe issues. As a new breeder, I'd want to keep it simple and not have to deal with any of that. Also, mojo and fire are both great additions to spider, black pastel, and pastel.

Have you considered purchasing a multi-gene male for your breeding plans? Usually people shoot for a male with multiple genes that can pair well with different females. I agree that you really only need a 1:2 group, but you may want to consider if your male pastel is really the snake you want to use as a breeding animal. You certainly can use him, and just hope for a good multi-gene male to come out of your first season that can replace him, if that is what you want to do.

Also look at your local area and see what people are selling, what people are buying (and if they are buying) and use that info too. If a particular gene is popular where you are, you can try to work with it or if one is very common, you may want to avoid working with it (i.e. if many people are selling black pastels, you might want to avoid that, etc.).

I have the beginnings of my first breeding project lined up as well, so I know how hard it is to choose your foundation animals. I already have 2 females, but am looking for a male to pair well with both and so far, it is hard lol. My plans center on the hypo gene.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

3. The Following User Says Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

Devonna (03-16-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Rounding out my breeding plan, advice appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Devonna View Post
    Hey guys,

So I'm going to start some small breeding program in a year or two. I want two females and a male. My male is my pastel male, 1) female is black widow mocha (black pastel, pastel, spider, and mocha). I have my eye on two other babies in my area. One is a black pastel female, the other is a super pastel mojave fire. Which one will be better with my male and female and the potential pairs they could get? Should I shoot for the super black pastel gene, or should I broaden my gene pool with the mojave fire? I appreciate suggestions. This is still like 1-2 years out for me as my current female is just shy of being a yearling.
    im also just starting out, gonna do 1 male and 2 females !!! My male is a Orange Dream/Enchi/Fire and my two females are a Pastel/Enchi and a Super Phantom. Im doing this not to make money but to see what kind of unique morphs I can create. We should keep in touch and help each other and just share updates
    0.1 Pastel (Kaa)
    1.0 Het Desert Ghost

0.1 Super Pastel VPI Axanthic Enchi (Jasmin)

0.1 Black Pastel Mojave
    0.1 Calico Fire
    0.1 Yellow Belly
    0.1 Pinstripe
    0.1 Het Red Axanthic Het Desert Ghost
    1.0 Orange Dream Enchi Fire
    0.1 leatherback hypo Bearded Dragon
    1.0 Purple Motley Suntiger Citron Reticulated
    1.0 Gargoyle Gecko
    1.2 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
    0.0.1 White Tree Frog
    1.0 Green Anaconda
    0.1 Indonesian Frilled Dragon

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bmwood For This Useful Post:

Devonna (03-16-2018)

Thanks

Thanks for the insight. See...what had happened was (don't so many stories start like that?) I got my male and fell in love with ball pythons. I knew I would like him, but I adore him. And I like the critical thinking, planning, and genetics that go into pairings. I'm just still learning, which is why I'm trying to plan ahead so it's not like, "Well, I guuuuess I could get this pairing?" I was leaning toward the super pastel mojave fire. I'm getting it for a steal because a guy in my area is downsizing his collection.

I have considered a multi-gene male; however, my partner is still just getting on board with the breeding thing. That's part of the reason my females are so young. Time for her to adjust (and for me to plan and study up) I don't want to overwhelm her by going from 1 snake to 4 like *snap* that. So, as my male pastel is a very beautiful snake, I figured I could get 2 solid, multi-gene females that compliment the pastel. I do have a Repticon coming up in about a month...that maaaybe once she sees all the incredibly beautiful patterns, I can pick up a multi-gene male. I gave her an option on one of the females (I narrowed it down to three), and she liked the look of the black widow mocha.

My area is kinda in BFE. We don't see many multi-gene anythings. We do have a small, family-owned pet store that I'm hoping will agree to carry a few of my babies in a few years just so I can get some exposure. Even then, what I find online is one, maybe two genes tops. I figure if I can provide a bit of a variety, especially spiders without much of a wobble (because I do not see many of them) I will do okay until I can save up and trade up to more of the exotic morphs.

Thanks

I agree! I'm more interested in what kind of morphs I can create and trading to get new genes than being a hardcore seller at this point. Yours sound really cool. Pics?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I agree! I'm more interested in what kind of morphs I can create and trading to get new genes than being a hardcore seller at this point. Yours sound really cool. Pics?
    Here is my super phantom and my enchi/pastel, I'm still waiting on my male, should be able to post pictures later today !!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    0.1 Pastel (Kaa)
    1.0 Het Desert Ghost

0.1 Black Pastel Mojave
    0.1 Calico Fire
    0.1 Yellow Belly
    0.1 Pinstripe
    1.0 Gargoyle Gecko
    0.0.1 White Tree Frog
    1.0 Green Anaconda

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bmwood For This Useful Post:

MegaSteve778 (03-16-2018)

Thanks

Very pretty little nopes you have there! My snakes have an IG ssssebastian.the.nope so if you want to keep in touch, that would likely work best.

This is my pastel, my black widow mocha who is waiting to be shipped until it's not so freaking cold in the midwest, and the super pastel mojave fire I want to get.

Sebastian (m pastel)

Charlotte (f black widow mocha)

Unnamed (f super pastel mojave fire)...I guess her eyes are also half blue/half brown

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Very pretty little nopes you have there! My snakes have an IG ssssebastian.the.nope so if you want to keep in touch, that would likely work best.

This is my pastel, my black widow mocha who is waiting to be shipped until it's not so freaking cold in the midwest, and the super pastel mojave fire I want to get.

Sebastian (m pastel)

Charlotte (f black widow mocha)

Unnamed (f super pastel mojave fire)...I guess her eyes are also half blue/half brown

very beautiful, I like the black widow mocha, I also live in the midwest, im ready for this cold to leave.
    0.1 Pastel (Kaa)
    1.0 Het Desert Ghost

0.1 Black Pastel Mojave
    0.1 Calico Fire
    0.1 Yellow Belly
    0.1 Pinstripe
    1.0 Gargoyle Gecko
    0.0.1 White Tree Frog
    1.0 Green Anaconda

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bmwood For This Useful Post:

Devonna (03-16-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Here's my male, Orange Dream/Enchi/Fire

The breeder sent me this photo when it was a baby, when I receive my snake I'll take another

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    0.1 Pastel (Kaa)
    1.0 Het Desert Ghost

0.1 Black Pastel Mojave
    0.1 Calico Fire
    0.1 Yellow Belly
    0.1 Pinstripe
    1.0 Gargoyle Gecko
    0.0.1 White Tree Frog
    1.0 Green Anaconda

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts

Wink

Personally I think it's worth the risk to go with a Super Black Pastel. There's a lot of people interested in that snake, it's part of what makes a Panda Pied (Super Black Pastel Pied). Despite the risk of defects there's no other combo that I know of that will give a pure black and white snake, they are absolutely stunning.

Panda Pied:

And here's a Super Black Pastel het Pied that recently sold for $1,500. WOW what an awesome snake!
    Last edited by cchardwick; 03-16-2018 at 10:32 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast