Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,917

3 members and 2,914 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: Live to F/T

Thanks

Live to F/T

Back in November my partner and I took in a 6 year old female bp who has only been on live for her entire life. We personally find live feeding to be unnecessary when F/T is such a better option, but so far our big girl is refusing to take F/T.

To help her readjust to a new home, we gave her a few live meals through the end of December, but her last successful feeding was Dec. 22nd. After that we decided to start to process of switching her to F/T.

However, at the end of this month it will be three months since her last meal and while she is still healthy at 1300 grams (down 200 from when we got her), we are getting worried that she won't ever take F/T.

We offer on a weekly basis, and she'll show interest sometimes, but never actually takes. Her demeanor is still the same, friendly and calm when handled.

Any advice on how to convince her to eat other than continuing to play the "wait til she's hungry enough" game?

We've tried braining but haven't used any other types of scenting.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Live to F/T

Quote Originally Posted by Bec View Post
    Back in November my partner and I took in a 6 year old female bp who has only been on live for her entire life. We personally find live feeding to be unnecessary when F/T is such a better option, but so far our big girl is refusing to take F/T.

To help her readjust to a new home, we gave her a few live meals through the end of December, but her last successful feeding was Dec. 22nd. After that we decided to start to process of switching her to F/T.

However, at the end of this month it will be three months since her last meal and while she is still healthy at 1300 grams (down 200 from when we got her), we are getting worried that she won't ever take F/T.

We offer on a weekly basis, and she'll show interest sometimes, but never actually takes. Her demeanor is still the same, friendly and calm when handled.

Any advice on how to convince her to eat other than continuing to play the "wait til she's hungry enough" game?

We've tried braining but haven't used any other types of scenting.

Any help is appreciated!
    How are you defrosting the prey? What prey are you offering and what size/weight? How are you warming after you defrost? How are you offering?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts
    you might need to work your way towards f/t, which people do by transitioning the snake to take pre-killed prey, then going for f/t. established adults are very tough to convert, but it's not unheard of to accomplish.

at her size, 200g isn't much weight loss. so no worries there. these animals have lived over millions of years as opportunistic hunters; they are perfectly designed to go long periods without food.

even though you specifically said you wanted other advice, honestly, sometimes it comes down to tough love. sometimes you need to wait them out, where they're hungry enough that they'll eat anything.

also, welcome to the forum. post pics of your new girl, please! we love pics!!!
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    How are you defrosting the prey? What prey are you offering and what size/weight? How are you warming after you defrost? How are you offering?
    ^^^
    how you prepare a f/t feeder is a big part of successfully getting snakes to eat f/t. if you could give us some more info on your set-up and how you offer the prey item, it might helps us help you better.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-15-2018),Zincubus (03-16-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I was actually wondering what would be the best way to thaw f/t prey too. Some advice or directions would be great.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

This is my step by step list on defrosting F/T rodents.

Others may do it differently and that's fine. This how I do it and it works for me.

STEPS FOR DEFROSTING F/T RODENTS/PREY

1. Put prey item(s) into appropriate size plastic bag (1 for each). I use Quart size ziplock bags up to a medium rat. NOTE: Bags are optional. Some people just throw the prey in the water. I like the bags, but you have to squeeze the air out of them.

2. Fill the container/storage box 3/4 of the way with room temp to slightly warm water. If you have a temp gun (which you should, so if you don't, get one), make sure the water is not hotter than 85-90F, or there about.

3. Put F/T prey item(s) in water. Cover (optional) and leave for an hour +/-.

4. After an hour, rotate/flip prey. If in plastic bags, they often will stay on whatever side you put them in on. So if mouse is on left side, turn to right side, etc.

5. Leave for another hour +/- for a TOTAL of about 2 hours (up to medium sized rat - longer if bigger prey for when ROE is bigger and eating Large rats, for example).

6. Check that prey is defrosted totally through. Squeeze at different sections of the preys body. Should be cool/room temp to touch, but be soft with no cold spots. If hard (except for bone), in abdomen, for example, or cold, put back in water until room temp and soft.

7. Take prey out of the container/storage box and put aside. THEN FOLLOW STEPS 8-11 OR STEP 12

8. Fill container with hot water from tap. If using temp gun, water temp should be 110-130F, not more.

9. Drop prey item into water for 30 seconds +/-. If multiple prey items, do one at a time. You want each item hot when you offer.

10. Remove (if hot water, with tongs).

11. Dry as best as you can, and is quickly as you can, with paper towels. I dry with paper towels while I am walking from the bathroom where I defrost to the snake tanks. I kind of wrap the prey item up in them. It's ten feet, so by the time I get to the tanks, the prey is drier, but still warm.

12. If not using hot water, use a hairdryer to heat rat so it entices snake

13. Open tank and offer ASAP.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (03-16-2018)

Thanks
    As has been said, offer prey warm, and try wiggling it around using tongs, if you haven't already. Also feed at night, as bps are more alert and active after dark.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alter-Echo For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-17-2018),Zincubus (03-16-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Live to F/T

Quote Originally Posted by gusanr14 View Post
    I was actually wondering what would be the best way to thaw f/t prey too. Some advice or directions would be great.
    As above posts really plus do NOT faff around with the Royal before a feed . So no handling that day , don't clean the enclosure , I don't even refresh the water or spray the viv down . Also certainly don't lift the hide OFF him and expect him to eat after that ....

Mine only strike the food from within their hides so I dangle the WARM rodent in front of the hide entrance..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 03-17-2018 at 04:59 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-17-2018)