Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,860

1 members and 2,859 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Re: My new girl ships Monday.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?t=254540

Progression thread here.

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    Is the coconut husk substrate bad?

Lol nah. I just hate the really fine ground stuff like Eco Earth. My recommendation for a retic is something like Reptichips or so far, the cypress. Havent given it to my big gals yet as I'll change their stuff tomorrow but so far from looking at it in the 4x2 cages, it looks fairly retic worthy. And dont buy it from a pet shop. Order it online. Cheaper and no chance for snake mites. I personally order my substrate from Chewy.com. Awesome prices, quick shipping and free 2 day shipping over $50. And since i got 9 snakes, i have to order like 7-10 bags at a time haha.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Skyrivers (03-21-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Lol nah. I just hate the really fine ground stuff like Eco Earth. My recommendation for a retic is something like Reptichips or so far, the cypress. Havent given it to my big gals yet as I'll change their stuff tomorrow but so far from looking at it in the 4x2 cages, it looks fairly retic worthy. And dont buy it from a pet shop. Order it online. Cheaper and no chance for snake mites. I personally order my substrate from Chewy.com. Awesome prices, quick shipping and free 2 day shipping over $50. And since i got 9 snakes, i have to order like 7-10 bags at a time haha.
    What is the link. I order from chewy.com also.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    What is the link. I order from chewy.com also.

This is the cypress. https://www.chewy.com/zoo-med-forest...ress/dp/123781

But for Reptichips, i would just go directly to them. http://www.reptichip.com/

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Skyrivers (03-21-2018)

Thanks

Thank you so much.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Sauzo (03-21-2018)

Thanks

Be careful with cypress mulch, I know of someone who's boa was killed when shedding on that stuff.

The boa was rubbing his snout in order to remove the old skin and one of those sharp pieces went through the eye and into the brain. Not nice.

Shredded coco husk has most of the same benefits of eco earth but not in a particulate form. Eco earth is superior in one aspect though - very low risk of causing issues if swallowed.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Valyrian; 03-22-2018 at 03:47 AM.
    0.1 CB17 Pearl Burmese Python - Kaiju

Thanks

WOW, what a beautiful tic!! No wonder you were so excited! Congrats on a killer pickup.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Valaryan View Post
    Be careful with cypress mulch, I know of someone who's boa was killed when shedding on that stuff.

The boa was rubbing his snout in order to remove the old skin and one of those sharp pieces went through the eye and into the brain. Not nice.

Shredded coco husk has most of the same benefits of eco earth but not in a particulate form. Eco earth is superior in one aspect though - very low risk of causing issues if swallowed.

That would suck. Luckily all my xnakes have terra cotta plant pots to rub on which are pretty rough. I think every substrate has some issue from someone lol. I have heard from a few people that Eco Earth caused an RI in their snakes and the vet told them Eco Earth can do it if you let it dry out because of the coco husk dust. So who knows haha.

I hate Eco Earth because 2 times in a row when the stuff was wet, it built up CRAZY condensation inside the hides and for my baby snakes, they would get the droplets on their snout, then rub it in the Eco Earth and it would stick to their mouth and nostrils so they would try and rub it off and get more water and then more Eco Earth and it just snowballed. At least that is the only way i can see it as when my suriname was a baby, she literally had Eco Earth packed in her mouth so she couldnt close it. I had to wipe her face off, then use a Q-Tip to get as much off the outside, then tip her head down, use a spray bottle. Then prop her mouth open with a the Q-Tip stick and spray her mouth out. Had to do this two times.

Plus for me, Eco Earth was either too wet or too dry. I couldnt find a happy median with AP cages. Plus the stuff gets stuck in the door tracks which makes sliding doors open a mess.

So far the 3 best substrates i have found have been aspen, Reptichips and now the cypress. But every one seems to have some flaw to it. Just gotta weigh out how much a flaw it is lol.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Valyrian (03-22-2018)

Thanks
    Nice looking retic! I'm glad she made it ok for you.

I use prococo...Similar to reptichip, but you can get it cheaper than reptichip, although it is still at least $12 a bag or more. I ordered mine from a nursery supply website. There are different types of it though, so you have to make sure to get the chunks and not the chunks / husk (fiber) or the very fine stuff, which is like eco-earth.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Thanks

That would suck. Luckily all my xnakes have terra cotta plant pots to rub on which are pretty rough. I think every substrate has some issue from someone lol. I have heard from a few people that Eco Earth caused an RI in their snakes and the vet told them Eco Earth can do it if you let it dry out because of the coco husk dust. So who knows haha.

I hate Eco Earth because 2 times in a row when the stuff was wet, it built up CRAZY condensation inside the hides and for my baby snakes, they would get the droplets on their snout, then rub it in the Eco Earth and it would stick to their mouth and nostrils so they would try and rub it off and get more water and then more Eco Earth and it just snowballed. At least that is the only way i can see it as when my suriname was a baby, she literally had Eco Earth packed in her mouth so she couldnt close it. I had to wipe her face off, then use a Q-Tip to get as much off the outside, then tip her head down, use a spray bottle. Then prop her mouth open with a the Q-Tip stick and spray her mouth out. Had to do this two times.

Plus for me, Eco Earth was either too wet or too dry. I couldnt find a happy median with AP cages. Plus the stuff gets stuck in the door tracks which makes sliding doors open a mess.

So far the 3 best substrates i have found have been aspen, Reptichips and now the cypress. But every one seems to have some flaw to it. Just gotta weigh out how much a flaw it is lol.
    True they all have flaws.

My eco earth would dry out after a couple of days but I use a CHE so the heat source would affect things a lot too. Plus you can actually buy it in dry form too.

0.1 CB17 Pearl Burmese Python - Kaiju

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567