Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,014

3 members and 3,011 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts

Non-breeding females laying eggs common?

Something I've been wondering. I've heard about this happening with female ball pythons laying eggs despite never mating or even being near a male but was under the impression is was very rare. However recently I bumped into a few mentions that egg laying is more common in colubrids? Can anyone verify how true this is and how much of a concern it should be? Is there a certain age this tends to happen? I've read some people stating it's seasonal while others say it's completely random.

I'll be getting my female russian rat snake 2-3 months from now (waiting on a clutch) and admit I'm worried if I may ever have to worry about her being eggbound. I've read how it can be as simple as soaking and massaging the snake to help pass the eggs, or as complicated as needing to have the eggs aspired or surgically removed which is what I'm most afraid of. To the point I'm starting to wonder if I should get a male instead.

Are the chances of this happening rare or actually pretty common to expected? How often? Is it as scary as it sounds? Or am I overthinking this? Is it easy to spot if my female ever gets eggbound? will she get more aggressive?

If anyone knows or has experience with colubrids laying eggs can you share your feedback and experience? Or recommended resources I could look into?

Sorry for the loads of questions everyone! I'm just trying to make sure I understand what I may get myself into beforehand. Thanks!
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    In general I'd say it's fairly rare but it does happen.

My female corn that I've raised from a baby, 2001, never laid infertiles. In 2016 I adopted an adult male corn from a coworker's friend, once he was out of QT and in the snake room, opposite end of the room and never in contact with my female, she laid a clutch of infertiles that year and again in 2017. I fully expect her to do it again this summer. Apparently just knowing a male is nearby (scent or pheromones I would guess) triggered her to start doing this.

Our female leachie (only gecko we have) has laid infertiles every single year since she became mature. wheeeee

Edit to add - my cave dwelling rat snakes, which were a proven breeding pair, never laid infertiles (I never paired them up), over about 2 years that I had them.

Also not sure why you'd worry about her being eggbound. It may happen from time to time but that in itself usually isn't super common. The times my corn laid, she passed them without issue.

EDIT TO ALSO ADD (I keep thinking of stuff) that same female I mentioned above has been in a room with male and female corns before, I bred two other corns in 2010; but that didn't trigger her to lay.
    Last edited by AbsoluteApril; 03-14-2018 at 02:57 PM.
    For the Horde!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (03-14-2018)

Thanks

Re: Non-breeding females laying eggs common?

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    In general I'd say it's fairly rare but it does happen.

My female corn that I've raised from a baby, 2001, never laid infertiles. In 2016 I adopted an adult male corn from a coworker's friend, once he was out of QT and in the snake room, opposite end of the room and never in contact with my female, she laid a clutch of infertiles that year and again in 2017. I fully expect her to do it again this summer. Apparently just knowing a male is nearby (scent or pheromones I would guess) triggered her to start doing this.

Our female leachie (only gecko we have) has laid infertiles every single year since she became mature. wheeeee

Edit to add - my cave dwelling rat snakes, which were a proven breeding pair, never laid infertiles (I never paired them up), over about 2 years that I had them.

Also not sure why you'd worry about her being eggbound. It may happen from time to time but that in itself usually isn't super common. The times my corn laid, she passed them without issue.

EDIT TO ALSO ADD (I keep thinking of stuff) that same female I mentioned above has been in a room with male and female corns before, I bred two other corns in 2010; but that didn't trigger her to lay.
    That's very interesting that even scent kickstarted triggered egg laying! I wonder if it's limited to same snake species or if any male snake scent would cause a reaction? Seems like every snake and reptile is different depending on the individual either way.

Aha yeah I tend to be rather paranoid and worry about scenario's I've learned about potentially happening. Different threads and videos got me stuck in the worst-case scenario thinking. So it's relieving to hear it's not common and usually it's a non-issue! Have you found when your snakes and gecko laid was there an increased aggression? Or they were pretty indifferent after the eggs were taken away?
    Last edited by MissterDog; 03-14-2018 at 03:09 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MissterDog View Post
    Have you found when your snakes and gecko laid was there an increased aggression? Or they were pretty indifferent after the eggs were taken away?
    Totally indifferent, in my cases.
    The 2010 clutch when I did bred (a diff female) - I let her maternally incubate the eggs in her enclosure and she never acted any different during the entire time even once the babies hatched.
    For the Horde!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (03-14-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    Totally indifferent, in my cases.
    The 2010 clutch when I did bred (a diff female) - I let her maternally incubate the eggs in her enclosure and she never acted any different during the entire time even once the babies hatched.
    Good to know! I've been reading different threads where some females get defensive whenever people try to take their infertile eggs away (understandable) so I wasn't sure how long potential aggression would last after the fact. Whenever your females laid infertile eggs did you experience any food refusals?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MissterDog View Post
    Whenever your females laid infertile eggs did you experience any food refusals?
    Nope but Garnet has never refused anytime. My experiences are limited, so not saying it doesn't or can't happen, but for me, never was an issue.
    For the Horde!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (03-14-2018)