Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,953

4 members and 2,949 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tub setup help

Thanks

Tub setup help

Hello, so today I set up my tub set up and had few question. So I’ll start with info. It’s a 24 inch by 14 by 16. Heat pad on bottom(know it’s not recommended let’s skip that part. This all I can get right now), thermometer and hygrometer, another thermometer and a Zilla thermostat. So first question is what is proper heating through out whole setup?? The heat pad is set to 90 but is showing 100 with my heat gun. The ambient temp is only 70. And I can’t tell if my snake can breather right with only these holes. I see other tub setups with less holes then he has. Please just give some tip, advice, or answer some question f my questions. Would love to finish setting his tub up tonight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Tub setup help

Not a super expert but have been dealing with tub set up for months and asking questions thousand times etc lol
    I have a perfect tub set ups at this point.

As for heat pad/tape, as long as it is controlled by trustable thermostat it should not matter.
    First, where is the thermostat probe located to reach that 90 degrees? it is recommended that the probe is in direct contact with the heat pad, under the tub, so sandwich the probe between pad and tub. Then, you want to adjust your thermostat so that the surface temperature "inside the tub" reaches 90 degrees on hot spot. You have to keep measuring with temp gun and adjust thermostat. For example, if you set thermostat to 90 degrees and when you measure the actual surface temp of the tub at like 95 or something, you lower the thermostat to have proper temp inside the tub. Heat mat does get hotter than what you set your thermostat to because probe is not only measuring the heat pad temp but air around it which is not a problem, at least for me. As long as you have a proper hot spot inside the tub, it shouldn't be a problem. Plastic shouldn't melt as long as it is controlled.

The ambient temp part was the problem I had before setting up my tub. I thought heat pad would help out a little with ambient temp, but guess what it barely does. So never rely on heat pad for ambient temp. For tubs, the actual room that the tub is in has to be at certain temp. If your room is 70, tub ambient will be around 70. You have to either use heater in your house, or space heater to higher the room temp. For me, when I set my space heater to 75 degrees, the temp inside the tub goes up to 78 degrees. I guess they trap in heat a little but not for long so space heater are always on during winter. Summer shouldn't be a problem because the weather is really hot most days. If hear can't be used, I had some advice from other people about a heat lamp with lamp stand to make the air hot around the tub but not too sure on this because I've never tried it.

Holes, they will breathe. People put holes to control humidity so some will have less, some will have more. I heard someone had 4 holes. I mean there will be some gaps between lid and tub if you are using lid.

Honestly, as long as room temp is good and hot side temp is good, it should be all good to go.

Can't really see the picture well but is that your current set up that your bp is in? I only see a hide, unless you just removed water bowl and substrate for some reason.
    Last edited by gusanr14; 03-13-2018 at 09:09 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gusanr14 For This Useful Post:

Masen136 (03-13-2018),Zincubus (03-13-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Tub setup help

Sorry I know nothing about rubtub setups but that temp of a 100 is dangerously high .. none of mine ever go over 92F on the hot spot -

Also note that the heat mat shouldn't cover more than 40% of the floor area ( hard to explain sorry) ..it should be to one side not in the middle just so there is a warm side and a cooler side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 03-13-2018 at 09:12 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gusanr14 View Post
    Not a super expert but have been dealing with tub set up for months and asking questions thousand times etc lol

As for heat pad/tape, as long as it is controlled by trustable thermostat it should not matter.
    First, where is the thermostat probe located to reach that 90 degrees? it is recommended that the probe is in direct contact with the heat pad, under the tub, so sandwich the probe between pad and tub. Then, you want to adjust your thermostat so that the surface temperature "inside the tub" reaches 90 degrees on hot spot. You have to keep measuring with temp gun and adjust thermostat. For example, if you set thermostat to 90 degrees and when you measure the actual surface temp of the tub at like 95 or something, you lower the thermostat to have proper temp inside the tub. Heat mat does get hotter than what you set your thermostat to because probe is not only measuring the heat pad temp but air around it which is not a problem, at least for me. As long as you have a proper hot spot inside the tub, it shouldn't be a problem. Plastic shouldn't melt as long as it is controlled.

The ambient temp part was the problem I had before setting up my tub. I thought heat pad would help out a little with ambient temp, but guess what it barely does. So never rely on heat pad for ambient temp. For tubs, the actual room that the tub is in has to be at certain temp. If your room is 70, tub ambient will be around 70. You have to either use heater in your house, or space heater to higher the room temp. For me, when I set my space heater to 75 degrees, the temp inside the tub goes up to 78 degrees. I guess they trap in heat a little but not for long so space heater are always on during winter. Summer shouldn't be a problem because the weather is really hot most days. If hear can't be used, I had some advice from other people about a heat lamp with lamp stand to make the air hot around the tub but not too sure on this because I've never tried it.

Holes, they will breathe. People put holes to control humidity so some will have less, some will have more. I heard someone had 4 holes. I mean there will be some gaps between lid and tub if you are using lid.

Honestly, as long as room temp is good and hot side temp is good, it should be all good to go.

Can't really see the picture well but is that your current set up that your bp is in? I only see a hide, unless you just removed water bowl and substrate for some reason.
    We must have been typing at exactly the same time

Yours wasn't there when I started .,

I panicked when I saw he had temps of 100F

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    We must have been typing at exactly the same time

Yours wasn't there when I started .,

I panicked when I saw he had temps of 100F

haha, yea we must have.
    I don't know if he is talking about the actual heat pad temperature or the temperature inside the tub. If it is inside, not good. If it is heat pad, not bad.

Thanks

Good point raised above ^

The crucial temp is the warm area over the heat mat - the temp of the rub base inside where the snake will be lying .

So difficult to explain for a dyslexic ( me ) .

Thanks

Help uth thermostat not working

So I just got the Zilla thermostat and Hooked it up to heat pad. And set to 90 degrees. But the heat pad is 110. And won’t go down. Please help ASAP

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gusanr14 View Post

Thankyou very much!! I stuck the probe in between the pad and tub and instantly the thermostat got to work lowering temp. I also made the holes a lot bigger in my tub as the humidity was around 95 percent. Tomorrow I plan on posting full updates. Thankyou very much for your help!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Masen136 For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (03-13-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Re: Help uth thermostat not working

Quote Originally Posted by Masen136 View Post
    So I just got the Zilla thermostat and Hooked it up to heat pad. And set to 90 degrees. But the heat pad is 110. And won’t go down. Please help ASAP

i think i saw your previous thread. you had a tub running, but with no substrate? where are you aiming the temp gun? if you're not using a substrate then the temp gun will just measure the UTH through the bottom, not the actual bottom.

if you're not the same person as i think you are im so sorry LOL.

EDIT: you're the same person hahaha.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 03-13-2018 at 09:55 PM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks

Sounds promising

Just keep reading the threads in here and absorb as much as you can ....

It seems overwhelming at first but you'll soon be feeling much more confident!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast