Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,791

1 members and 2,790 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tub setup help

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Help uth thermostat not working

Quote Originally Posted by Masen136 View Post
    So I just got the Zilla thermostat and Hooked it up to heat pad. And set to 90 degrees. But the heat pad is 110. And won’t go down. Please help ASAP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thermostat probe temps don’t often match with the tanks temps, especially if reading air temps.

Where is is the thermostat probe placed?

Either the probe placement is wrong, there is a big a discrepancy as described above, and you need to lower the thermostat, Or the thermostat is defective.
    Last edited by dakski; 03-13-2018 at 10:08 PM.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Where is the probe and have you lowered your t-stat setting?

If the probe is where it should be (outside sandwiched between your enclosure and the UTH) and you have lowered the temps setting of your t-stat and the temp inside the enclosure still does not go down, unplug the t-stat and buy a reliable one (zilla t-stat are notorious to fail wide open)
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-13-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Like I mentioned previous thread, where is the probe and where are you reading the temp with your temp gun?
    Thermostat and heat pad don't match exactly, reason due to the air around the thermostat probe. Thermostat probes are not going to only read the heat pad temp but air around it effects the probe temp.
    I used to use jumpstart thermostat and it didn't match either. My heat tape was at 100~110 with thermostat set to 90 but the temp inside the tub was 90 degrees so not a problem. If you are saying that the temp inside the tub is 110, that is a problem. If it is heat pad temp, measure inside the tub and see. Also, I would get reliable thermostat. Jump start was good but I changed to herpstat and it is amazing. Even when I use herpstat, heat tape temp is little higher than thermostat due to those air factor etc but inside the tub is right on spot. You just have to adjust a little. Again, please tell us if the 110 degrees temperature is inside the tub or just heatpad itself and if heatpad, tell us the temp of the hot zone inside the tub.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gusanr14 View Post
    Like I mentioned previous thread, where is the probe and where are you reading the temp with your temp gun?
    Thermostat and heat pad don't match exactly, reason due to the air around the thermostat probe. Thermostat probes are not going to only read the heat pad temp but air around it effects the probe temp.
    I used to use jumpstart thermostat and it didn't match either. My heat tape was at 100~110 with thermostat set to 90 but the temp inside the tub was 90 degrees so not a problem. If you are saying that the temp inside the tub is 110, that is a problem. If it is heat pad temp, measure inside the tub and see. Also, I would get reliable thermostat. Jump start was good but I changed to herpstat and it is amazing. Even when I use herpstat, heat tape temp is little higher than thermostat due to those air factor etc but inside the tub is right on spot. You just have to adjust a little. Again, please tell us if the 110 degrees temperature is inside the tub or just heatpad itself and if heatpad, tell us the temp of the hot zone inside the tub.
    My issue now is the ambient temp is 72 degrees. The heat pad a hotspot is perfect 91. But the air temp seems to be 72. Is that okay. Or any tips??

Thanks

My issue now is the ambient temp is 72 degrees. The heat pad a hotspot is perfect 91. But the air temp seems to be 72. Is that okay. Or any tips??

My tub is in my laundry room. My ambient temps in my house are around 72. I use a space heater with a stat and run it at 80.

0.1 Female Normal
    0.1 Lab mix

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Ambient of 72 is not okay as most people will say. But, I saw people that keep at 70-75 with no problem, don’t know if it is true or not but does not mean you should. It is better and best to keep ambient at least above 75, with space heater. These days, many space heater comes with built in thermostat. I recommend oil filled radiator. Set it to what you desire, if room is well insulated (no window or little window, door closed all the time etc) it will keep heat from space heater better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12