Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,014

2 members and 3,012 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Burms and Florida

Living in Florida, I know that Burms are invasive species, But how is it that I'm looking more into it seeing that its a conditional species and were not allowed to have them as pets here...I keep seeing people with them in florida as pets...anyone have any insight on this? G. Conditional Nonnative Wildlife

Conditional nonnative species (formerly referred to as restricted species) are considered to be dangerous to the ecology and/or the health and welfare of the people of Florida. These species may not be possessed for personal use. To legally import conditional nonnative species into Florida and possess them for commercial use, research or public exhibition, it is necessary to have a permit.

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Re: Burms and Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Aerries View Post
    I keep seeing people with them in florida as pets...anyone have any insight on this?/"]permit[/URL].
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    Cant remember the other state but there are a couple that still basically outlaw them. However, now that the law was overturned months back they are being sold easily (Shows/Shipped etc). My Burm became banned here in NY after I had already had him for years and years.. Of course I follow most laws, but when they infringe on Law Abiding citizens I say screw the Gov..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Aerries (03-13-2018),C.Marie (03-13-2018),c0r3yr0s3 (03-13-2018),fluffykitten (03-14-2018),Momokahn (03-20-2018)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

Yes, they are an invasive species in southern Fl and you can only keep them with the permit. Either the people have the permits (new permits or grandfathered in) or they are keeping them illegally.

Quote Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post
    Cant remember the other state but there are a couple that still basically outlaw them.
    pretty sure it's Texas.
    For the Horde!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (03-13-2018),CALM Pythons (03-13-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    Yes, they are an invasive species in southern Fl and you can only keep them with the permit. Either the people have the permits (new permits or grandfathered in) or they are keeping them illegally.

pretty sure it's Texas.
    Lol they’re all illegal if they weren’t grandfathered can’t even get a permit for them as pets...looks like I’ll be breaking the law eventually lol I’m sure my HOA would have a field day with what I already have if they knew 🤣 I think it’s a 5 animal limit or something like that.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Aerries For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (03-13-2018)

Thanks

Burms and Florida

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post

pretty sure it's Texas.
    Yup thought so... Its a shame that so many Laws are put into place because people are idiots...on another note a few BIG breeders have been selling Mainlands by the thousands and there is going to be a HUGE problem in a year or two when all those Retics are not wanted anymore. The number of people buying these Giant Constrictors on a whim is ridiculous and they are dirt cheap too. It makes me sick thinking about how many will be left to die in bad conditions and just no longer wanted. What the hell is going to happen when 20 thousand Retics are looking for a home. Thats Sad.

Last edited by CALM Pythons; 03-13-2018 at 02:52 PM.
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Aerries (03-13-2018),C.Marie (03-13-2018),MD_Pythons (03-13-2018),Sonny1318 (03-13-2018)

Thanks

Actually the hubby just told me it’s only 2 animals per household lmao I’m ten fold on that 🤣

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Aerries For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (03-13-2018)

Thanks

..looks like I’ll be breaking the law eventually

Welcome to the dark side! Burms are AMAZING, and as CALM always says...they have their own personalities completely different than any other snake. Extremely confident little guys even from hatchling stage.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post
    Yup thought so... Its a shame that so many Laws are put into place because people are idiots...on another note a few BIG breeders have been selling Mainlands by the thousands and there is going to be a HUGE problem in a year or two when all those Retics are not wanted anymore. The number of people buying these Giant Constrictors on a whim is ridiculous and they are dirt cheap too. It makes me sick thinking about how many will be left to die in bad conditions and just no longer wanted. What the hell is going to happen when 20 thousand Retics are looking for a home. Thats Sad.

Sadly they will more then likely end up here in south Florida and be caught and killed. That’s the unfortunate reality. Not all of them but some

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Aerries For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (03-14-2018)

Thanks

Sadly they will more then likely end up here in south Florida and be caught and killed. That’s the unfortunate reality. Not all of them but some

Yeah they will... Burms were the New big thing in the early 90's and now its Retics.. Back when I got my Albno Burm Retics weren't hardly being sold except to those Big Time Herpers like Bob Clark. They were wild caught and one of the Nastiest Giant Python besides the Indian Rock out there... Now with so many Captive bread generations they are being sold for $100 and will be the next Problem in Florida in a couple years im sure.

0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    I'm really torn on this.

I don't like the many laws about keeping reptiles, that get ever more restrictive. But I think many times the hobbyists themselves are to blame.

Kids will do stupid stuff. That's just genetic. I look around on reptile pages and forums and I'm blown away how many teenagers and very young adults have giants (or hots). Ok, to be fair, some may be able to provide a good home. But realistically, how many of them are going to be able to house (and feed) 16+ foot retics and burms throughout the life of the snake ???

How many of them will be able to do it correctly? How many of them will eventually go off to college, get busy with life, have families with young children, etc ? Yes, you get the rare serious herper that will make it work. And then you will have those that won't take care of them correctly, or get hurt, or get someone else hurt or try to get rid of it. And getting rid of a giant with a possibly nasty temperament because it hasn't been fed right or worked with is NOT easy. Then you will have the ones released into "the wild".

I see those young people have not only one but up to 6 or more of these snakes. All still small and cute of course. What about in 3 years?

The breeders that produce and sell those massive amounts of those giants (huge clutches) can't possibly think there are proper homes for them. Most likely the problems caused by those numbers of unwanted giants will ultimately cause more laws and more restrictions that may just spill over to keeping more manageable species. Already many proposed laws talk about outlawing "constrictors". This isn't fear mongering, its already happening.

Burms are causing real issues in Florida. Its not just the worry about small children, dogs and cats. They are also doing a number on the local wildlife and ecology. I fear the laws will just continue to get stricter.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Aerries (03-14-2018),CALM Pythons (03-14-2018),MD_Pythons (03-14-2018),Momokahn (03-20-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast