Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,645

3 members and 1,642 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Age old age question

Hey all! I adopted a rescue ball python about a year ago. The person I got her from gave me an estimated age from 1 year to 6 years. I know weight/length don't equal age, but I was wondering if someone could help with an estimate? She is 4 feet and around 1700 grams. Thanks in advance for any opinions/answers!

Thanks
    It's pretty much impossible to tell based on weight and length since ball pythons grow at different rates. I will say that she is most likely not one. It takes 2-3 years for a female ball python to be fully grown.

There's unfortunately no way to tell for sure. Welcome to the forum by the way

Edit: How did the rescuer get that estimate anyway? Is it just a random guess? Because ball pythons can live 20+ years so she could easily be almost any age.
    Last edited by Kira; 03-13-2018 at 06:32 AM.
    Winry-Pastel Vanilla BP

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kira For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (03-13-2018),WolfJob (03-13-2018)

Thanks

Re: Age old age question

Thank you!! 😁 And yes, I believe it was just a guess on the age. Unfortunately, they did not seem to know what they were talking about, but I got a great snake out of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Kira View Post
    It's pretty much impossible to tell based on weight and length since ball pythons grow at different rates. I will say that she is most likely not one. It takes 2-3 years for a female ball python to be fully grown.

There's unfortunately no way to tell for sure. Welcome to the forum by the way

Edit: How did the rescuer get that estimate anyway? Is it just a random guess? Because ball pythons can live 20+ years so she could easily be almost any age.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WolfJob View Post
    Thank you!! 😁 And yes, I believe it was just a guess on the age. Unfortunately, they did not seem to know what they were talking about, but I got a great snake out of it!

Yeah what matters the most is that you now have a great pet I hope you post pictures soon!
    Winry-Pastel Vanilla BP

Thanks

Absolutely! And will do 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Kira View Post
    Yeah what matters the most is that you now have a great pet I hope you post pictures soon!

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts
    Yup, like mentioned, literally impossible to tell. She could be a year if someone hardcore power fed her, but she could be older. I have an 11 year old ball python that is 3.5' and 1,400 grams, probed female, but not 100% convinced on that since it was my first probing on my own. I may see if the person caring for him/her will have them probed to see for sure. But, I only know the age because I got him as a hatchling in 2006, I don't know his exact birthdate, so he could be several months older than I think he is.

Feeding regimen and genetics impact so much that there's no way to tell. Even within the same clutch, each individual will grow at their own rate, and end up at different sizes. All we can say is your beep is an adult. haha
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")