Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,542

1 members and 3,541 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: To Rack or not to Rack.... that is the question?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    I have zero plans to breed and just want to collect some of the morphs I love and enjoy them.
    It sounds like racks are for you go for it.
    Last edited by EDR; 03-14-2018 at 03:32 AM.
    0.1 : Albino Clown - GHI Pastave - Killer Bee Fader - Sugar Bee - Pastel het pied - Lemon Blast het puzzle

1.0 : Banana - Mystic Potion 66% pos het pied - Pastel Lesser het puzzle - Super Pastel 66% pos het puzzle

1.0 2012 Albino Red Tail

Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 667 Posts

Thank you all so much for the advice and input I truly do appreciate it...

Here is what I think I have come to... take my “experiment” one step further.

I have a glass exo Terra.

I have an AP enclosure.

Before I dive full in... why not set up my own tub myself and put it on top of the AP? It won’t take up much more room, it gives me the chance to get ..... yup 1 more snake. And then I will literally have all 3 styles running. I’ll do this for the next year in my apt as I sort life out and see where it takes me. I plan to own a home again in the next year or so. By then I’ll have experience with all 3 types and I can really make an educated decision because I will have tended to them all...

As a follow up to this... my question is. Even if I go with a “tub” I still think I’d rather a larger one than a small thin one. Walmart had a great deal in a 100qt tub. It’s 36” long by 17” wide and 13.5” tall. They have a 52qt that’s just about the same but half the height and only 7”. I’d still like to give whomever is housed there the opportunity to climb and move as much as they’d like. This tub is similar to the ap just not as wide. Is this suitable or do you all say go for less height ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 - Cinnamon Banana Ball Python (Thunder)
    1.0 - Yellow Belly High White Pied Ball Python (Pretty Fly For A White Guy)
    0.1 - Cinnamon GHI Ball Python (Leslie Snipes)
    1.0 - Dumerils Boa (Sushi)
    0.1 - Caye Caulker Boa (Lady Liberty)
    0.0.? - Mandarin Rat Snake (Bumble)
    1.0 - Mexican Black King (Rico Suave)
    1.0 - Black Tail Cribo (Goldar)
    0.1 - Jaguar Carpet Python (Cookie)
    1.0 - Vietnamese Blue Beauty (Elsa)
    1.0 - Green Tree Python (Banner)
    0.2 - Yellow/Quince Monitors (Blanche & Dorothy)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Apart from anything else I think the idea of running the three options rather intriguing!

Still can't imagine how annoying it would be to have a beautiful snake hidden away though , even for just 12 months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (03-14-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Apart from anything else I think the idea of running the three options rather intriguing!

Still can't imagine how annoying it would be to have a beautiful snake hidden away though , even for just 12 months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    thanks. The idea does intrigue me as an experiment and a learning phase. Being so new to the hobby I think it’s a cool way to get going and really see this all for myself.

The tubs I had in mind are very clear so I wouldn’t say one woukd
    ne hidden away.

But again many folks have full racks you just see a drawer. But open that drawer and poof. SNAKE. so you sort of get to see it whenever you want as opposed to the other ways where you need to get them from a hide or something. I dunno. I guess time will tell.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Phillydubs For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (03-14-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    Racks are awesome as recovery and isolation tubs because you can quickly setup a "hospital" for them. If you can provide the health and welfare for snakes in racks, go racks. However, don't be a crazy cat lady and get more snakes than you can handle. The care and cost goes up exponentially the more you get. What I mean is don't get a rack thinking you can now have 20 snakes because it will be easy. I would rather see someone with 2-4 snakes that they can dedicate time to than 20-40 that they just keep locked away because they can barely keep up with the maintenance.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SDA For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (03-14-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post
    Racks are awesome as recovery and isolation tubs because you can quickly setup a "hospital" for them. If you can provide the health and welfare for snakes in racks, go racks. However, don't be a crazy cat lady and get more snakes than you can handle. The care and cost goes up exponentially the more you get. What I mean is don't get a rack thinking you can now have 20 snakes because it will be easy. I would rather see someone with 2-4 snakes that they can dedicate time to than 20-40 that they just keep locked away because they can barely keep up with the maintenance.
    Haha ! Crazy cat lady. That made me laugh out loud. I totally get and respect what you are saying.

That is not my intention what so ever. I don’t plan to breed nor just stockpile snakes to say I have them.

These are pets to me and I want the best for them. I’m just trying to decide eventually where to go as I’m in a temporary time in my life. If this work well and are easy to maintain and the snakes are growing and happy maybe I go a full rack when I move for say $500 as opposed to double maybe triple the price for pvc.

I pkan to have maybe 3-4 ball pythons max. I have a mandarin rat snake. I may add a corn down the line or something like that. But that would be it for me. I want to interact with my animal and have docile animals that trust me and that I am able to handle and enjoy.

No crazy cat cat lady here. Just someone trying to find out for themselves what’s the best route.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12