Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,793

2 members and 2,791 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Re: DIY enclosure worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider 777 View Post
    My apologies. Guess I suck at searching lol

- - - Updated - - -

Well looks like I'm getting a shipping quote for a T25. Thanks to everyone for the input!
    The T25s are awesome. I got 3 of them as well as the T8s and T10s.

0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks
    Fwiw many years ago I was a partner in a small company that did pvc cages. Ours were fully welded, none of the bolts and screws you see on someand liquid tight. We started buying the sheets and doing the cutting ourselves, shortly after we contracted the materials supplier to cut for us. They had a giant cnc so we got exact cuts every time. We did 4 and 2 foot in black and white, locking acrylic hatchling racks for stores and shows, metal rodent breeder racks etc. there are several shops in the Denver area that are probably still using our stuff.

A 4x2x2 cost about $40 in materials and cutting if memory serves, we sold them for about 200. We ended up subbing them out for 90, picked them up only needing the doors put on and shipped them out. Shipping was by far the biggest pita and after a couple years we shelved the company. Not enough market to put up with it.

Assuming you have a similar supplier close to you, you might get a nice surprise.

Thanks
    I built my hognose's 4' viv using plywood, glass, and marine varnish. (Found out afterwards about pond armor.) It was a little over 1 sheet of plywood. I also assembled and wired the cob leds that light it and the computer fans and controller.
    I enjoy these kind of projects. Did them on the side on craigslist for a while.
    Depending on the type of furniture grade plywood you are looking at 30-60$ per sheet. Then you will need wood glue and fasteners. (I used deck screws) got all my glass for free or cheap off craigslist. Marine varnish was about 30 bucks for the quart. And stainless steel vents were about 10 bucks for 20 2" round vents on amazon. I painted them black. Time=money and that is where you lose your butt.
    Dry and cure times killed the time line of the project.

I agree with the previous posters though, only a great idea if you already have the time and tools. Also pond armor and fiberglass is the way to go for waterproofing and sealing. When i am done moving here in a week or so i am going to build an 8'x4'x4' wood viv and split it into two enclosures, and that is what i will be using.
    Last edited by Apiratenamedjohn; 06-30-2018 at 10:02 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12