Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,004

0 members and 3,004 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Possibly Injury?

Thank you all so much. I think you are right. I'm still going to keep a close eye on him, but he doesn't seem to be injured, he's acting normal and there's nothing that I can see.

I'm just a worry wart. I'm still new at owning snakes and I wanna do the best I can to take good care of him.

Thank you guys so much for all your help!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stofey For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (03-14-2018),hilabeans (03-13-2018),Zincubus (03-13-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stofey View Post
    Thank you all so much. I think you are right. I'm still going to keep a close eye on him, but he doesn't seem to be injured, he's acting normal and there's nothing that I can see.

I'm just a worry wart. I'm still new at owning snakes and I wanna do the best I can to take good care of him.

For what it's worth I think it's only normal to worry over these marvellous critters !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (03-14-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Yeah, better to be safe than sorry. Glad you want what's best for your little guy.

For what it's worth, my BP, Shayna, had a perfect shed last night, and as mentioned here, and has happened before (though not nearly every time), there was a tiny bit of blood from her vent/spur area. She's fine and there is no residual blood or discomfort that I can see. I wouldn't have even noticed it if I didn't use white printless newspaper and it was away from the waste she left.

Again, it wasn't even a bad shed as humidity was dead on and she shed in one piece. Not sure why this happens, but it does.

You mentioned this was before shed, so probably from the mouse. Maybe even got some blood on his nose or mouth when swallowing and wiped if after. Either way, I wouldn't worry unless you see blood on him or it's a regular thing.

Good luck and ask any questions you want/need to ask if you get worried. We are here to help.
    Last edited by dakski; 03-13-2018 at 06:20 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Sounds good. Just one more thing I noticed...

Are you feeding hopper mice?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    For what it's worth I think it's only normal to worry over these marvellous critters !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I agree. I love my snake a lot. He's a total sweetie. :')

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Yeah, better to be safe than sorry. Glad you want what's best for your little guy.

For what it's worth, my BP, Shayna, had a perfect shed last night, and as mentioned here, and has happened before (though not nearly every time), there was a tiny bit of blood from her vent/spur area. She's fine and there is no residual blood or discomfort that I can see. I wouldn't have even noticed it if I didn't use white printless newspaper and it was away from the waste she left.

Again, it wasn't even a bad shed as humidity was dead on and she shed in one piece. Not sure why this happens, but it does.

You mentioned this was before shed, so probably from the mouse. Maybe even got some blood on his nose or mouth when swallowing and wiped if after. Either way, I wouldn't worry unless you see blood on him or it's a regular thing.

Good luck and ask any questions you want/need to ask if you get worried. We are here to help.
    So far I haven't seen anymore blood. So I think you guys are right and it was the mouse. I just never seen that happen before. o.o

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Sounds good. Just one more thing I noticed...

Are you feeding hopper mice?
    Yes, I am feeding him hopper mice.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

I'm sure a bunch of other folks will jump in here as well, but a hopper mouse is far too small for any 1 year old ball python (I suspect that even feeding 2 per feeding is not enough for a 1 year old unless he is particularly small).

The feeding chart most commonly referenced here calls for them as feeders only for a hatchling BP's first 3 to 5 meals.
    Here's a copy that I wrote down in my tracking charts (for pets, I think the frequency but not the size varies some for breeders):
    Ball Python Feeding Plan
    Food Item Food Weight (g) Male Snake Weight (g) Female Snake Weight (g) # of Days Between
    1x Hopper Mouse 8 to 11 First 3-5 Meals First 3-5 Meals Every 7 Days
    1x Rat Fuzzy OR
    1x Sm Mouse
    10 to 19 OR
    12 to 17
    Up to 200 Up to 200 Every 7 Days
    1x Rat Pup OR
    1x Adult Mouse
    20 to 29 OR
    18 to 32
    200 to 350 200 to 350 Every 7 Days
    1x Weaned Rat OR
    1x Jumbo Mouse
    30 to 49 OR
    33 to 50
    350 to 500 350 to 500 Every 7 Days
    1x Small Rat OR
    2-3 Mice
    50 to 89 OR
    size depends
    Over 500 500 to 1,000 Every 7 Days
    1x Medium Rat OR
    3-5 Mice
    90 to 179 OR
    size depends
    Not Typically Needed (Male) Over 1,000 Every 7 Days
    Large Rat 180g+ Not Typically Needed (Male) Not Typically Needed (Female) N/A

I have a 6 month old BP (@ 212 grams last weighed) that is taking 20-24g adult mice and will be switching over to rat pups once I get some at the next expo and I use the last few mice I have for him.

If you've been feeding that small, I think the usual recommendation is to start increasing the size of the meal one level at a time for a few meals each so you don't overwhelm the snake with something a lot bigger than it is used to digesting. You will definitely need to get a weight for your snake so that you know what size feeder you should progress up to and not end up feeding something too big.
    (Something like 2 or 3 meals at small mouse/rat fuzz, then 2-3 meals of adult mouse/rat pup, and so on until you get to the weight range your snake should be eating at.)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (03-14-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Ok, that's what I thought. Hopper mice are too small for a BP. They eat hoppers for the first few meals and quickly move up in size.
    This is a common mistake among new keepers and nothing to worry about. Just upsize your prey and feed weekly and you're good to go.
    This feeding chart should help.

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 03-14-2018 at 02:37 PM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (03-14-2018),pretends2bnormal (03-14-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pretends2bnormal View Post
    I'm sure a bunch of other folks will jump in here as well, but a hopper mouse is far too small for any 1 year old ball python (I suspect that even feeding 2 per feeding is not enough for a 1 year old unless he is particularly small).

The feeding chart most commonly referenced here calls for them as feeders only for a hatchling BP's first 3 to 5 meals.
    Here's a copy that I wrote down in my tracking charts (for pets, I think the frequency but not the size varies some for breeders):
    Ball Python Feeding Plan
    Food Item Food Weight (g) Male Snake Weight (g) Female Snake Weight (g) # of Days Between
    1x Hopper Mouse 8 to 11 First 3-5 Meals First 3-5 Meals Every 7 Days
    1x Rat Fuzzy OR
    1x Sm Mouse
    10 to 19 OR
    12 to 17
    Up to 200 Up to 200 Every 7 Days
    1x Rat Pup OR
    1x Adult Mouse
    20 to 29 OR
    18 to 32
    200 to 350 200 to 350 Every 7 Days
    1x Weaned Rat OR
    1x Jumbo Mouse
    30 to 49 OR
    33 to 50
    350 to 500 350 to 500 Every 7 Days
    1x Small Rat OR
    2-3 Mice
    50 to 89 OR
    size depends
    Over 500 500 to 1,000 Every 7 Days
    1x Medium Rat OR
    3-5 Mice
    90 to 179 OR
    size depends
    Not Typically Needed (Male) Over 1,000 Every 7 Days
    Large Rat 180g+ Not Typically Needed (Male) Not Typically Needed (Female) N/A

I have a 6 month old BP (@ 212 grams last weighed) that is taking 20-24g adult mice and will be switching over to rat pups once I get some at the next expo and I use the last few mice I have for him.

If you've been feeding that small, I think the usual recommendation is to start increasing the size of the meal one level at a time for a few meals each so you don't overwhelm the snake with something a lot bigger than it is used to digesting. You will definitely need to get a weight for your snake so that you know what size feeder you should progress up to and not end up feeding something too big.
    (Something like 2 or 3 meals at small mouse/rat fuzz, then 2-3 meals of adult mouse/rat pup, and so on until you get to the weight range your snake should be eating at.)
    Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Ok, that's what I thought. Hopper mice are too small for a BP. They eat hoppers for the first few meals and quickly move up in size.
    This is a common mistake among new keepers and nothing to worry about. Just upsize your prey and feed weekly and you're good to go.
    This feeding chart should help.

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Tapatalk
    Okay. Thank you so much, I didn't realize. x-x He weighs 165g right now. I'll switch him over small mice then. I just need to figure out where to get them near me. The place I normally get them near me has Fuzzy -> Hopper -> Adult mouse. They don't have the in between. So I'll have to find somewhere else to get a small mouse. Or see if I can find a rat fuzzy.

I can't order them or anything in bulk cause I can't keep them in the freezer I have. x-x I live with someone else and they would freak if they found rats in the freezer. XD I usually just go buy one a week. It might be a bit more expensive, but it's better than not being allowed to have my buddy. I don't mind the price, anyway.

Thanks

Good luck. I only have one place anywhere near me but luckily they have a great selection. If you can't find the right size, you can probably just ask for the biggest hopper they have and at least get close to the proper size

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

If you're buying from one of the big chain pet stores, you can bring in a small kitchen scale and weigh a few of the adult mice in-store. Just pull the plastic out of the box briefly and weigh it. I'd look for something around 16-18 grams to start. (Plastic should be negligible in weight)
    My 6 month old started around 167 grams at 4 months old and took down 20 gram mice from the start.

I think you're on the right track for your little buddy, he'll be growing faster than you can believe with the right size food now.

(And obligatory pic of my boy when I got him at around the weight yours is at.)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12