Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,781

2 members and 2,779 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

View Poll Results: What's a good nap?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10 min

0 0%
  • 20 min

4 25.00%
  • 30 min

4 25.00%
  • 40 min

0 0%
  • 50 min

0 0%
  • 60 min

1 6.25%
  • more than 60 minutes

2 12.50%
  • more than 120 minutes!

5 31.25%
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Smile Happy National Napping Day!

Happy National Napping Day everyone! i know yesterday was like Spring forward/Daylights Saving Time, so we gained an hour and possibly lost an hour of sleep (?). but don't worry b/c today is National Napping Day! i plan on taking a lil nap before dinner, how about u?

there's also napping and sleeping related sales today to celebrate the holiday: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/natio...165133169.html

also how long do u usually nap? what's a good amount? i like to take 20-30min power naps.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (03-12-2018),Zincubus (03-13-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts
    huh? oh, sorry i missed this thread...i was taking a nap.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 03-13-2018 at 03:21 PM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (03-13-2018),c0r3yr0s3 (03-13-2018),Sgt7212 (03-22-2018),zina10 (03-13-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 617 Posts
    Wish I could celebrate this holiday. Alas I'm a wife, daughter, mother, pet owner and have a full time job. I've read about these "naps" you speak of, but never experienced one myself.

Maybe I'll add one to my bucket list.
    Last edited by hilabeans; 03-13-2018 at 03:33 PM.

1.0 Lesser Mojave Ball Python "Neptune"; 1.0 Western Hognose "Murray"

Lizards:
    1.0 Bearded Dragon "Nigel"

Tarantulas:
    0.1 G. Rosea "Charlotte"; 0.1 B. Albopilosum "Matilda"; 0.1 C. Versicolor "Bijou"; 1.0 B. Boehmei "Lightening McQueen"

Inverts:
    1.0 Emperor Scorpion "Boba"

Dog & Cats:

1.0 Doberman Pinscher "Bulleit"; 1.0 Siamese Cat "Boudreaux"; 1.0 British Shorthair Cat "Oliver”

Goats:
    "Hazelnut" & "Huckleberry"

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hilabeans For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (03-13-2018),c0r3yr0s3 (03-13-2018),dakski (03-13-2018),zina10 (03-13-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts
    to the people who voted 120+ minutes that's called SLEEPING!
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-14-2018),zina10 (03-13-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    I love sleep. I could sleep all dang day!
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnieskys For This Useful Post:

zina10 (03-13-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    I don't take naps.

When I fall asleep during the day somewhere, you know I'm sick That is the only time that happens.

I don't get sick a lot either, LOL
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Happy National Napping Day!

Unfortunately, having degenerative kidney disease for 9 years, and then a kidney transplant, taking lots of meds, and the kidney being stable, but not functioning anywhere near 100%, naps are part of my life.

I am fortunate to work from home most days and probably take a nap more days than not. It is what it is. Sometimes I can push through the exhaustion and fatigue, but I generally pay dearly for that.

If my body says it needs rest, no matter the time, I usually listen, when I am able to accommodate it. If I don't I usually crash with nausea, headaches, aches, etc. Then I need to sleep for 15-24+ hours to recover.

I don't think people understand the difference between being tired and exhaustion/fatigue unless they have experienced it.

I tried explaining it for a while, but people tend not to get it. Exhaustion can come on quick and takes a long time to recover from. It's not, oh, I am tired and could take a nap. It's, if I don't rest now, I may not be able to make it to the bed and I'll feel really sick.

My cousin had breast cancer and needed radiation and chemo, in addition to a mastectomy. She had read a blog I keep about my experience with kidney transplantation, and we had spoken often during the year or so of recovery for me.

She got the cancer about 1 1/2 years after my transplant, and called me out the blue one day, to tell me, she "got it."

She said, "tired is not wanting to climb the stairs to go to bed; fatigue is when you literally cannot make it up the stairs and collapse/pass out, and sleep, on the bottom step."

Not trying to pull rank, or over justify my nap situation. I just wanted to share a different perspective. Believe me, I miss the days when I didn't need naps!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

zina10 (03-14-2018)

Anti-Thread Necro Patrol
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 739 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I thought every day was nap day.
    - Mason

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts

Re: Happy National Napping Day!

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Unfortunately, having degenerative kidney disease for 9 years, and then a kidney transplant, taking lots of meds, and the kidney being stable, but not functioning anywhere near 100%, naps are part of my life.

I am fortunate to work from home most days and probably take a nap more days than not. It is what it is. Sometimes I can push through the exhaustion and fatigue, but I generally pay dearly for that.

If my body says it needs rest, no matter the time, I usually listen, when I am able to accommodate it. If I don't I usually crash with nausea, headaches, aches, etc. Then I need to sleep for 15-24+ hours to recover.

I don't think people understand the difference between being tired and exhaustion/fatigue unless they have experienced it.

I tried explaining it for a while, but people tend not to get it. Exhaustion can come on quick and takes a long time to recover from. It's not, oh, I am tired and could take a nap. It's, if I don't rest now, I may not be able to make it to the bed and I'll feel really sick.

My cousin had breast cancer and needed radiation and chemo, in addition to a mastectomy. She had read a blog I keep about my experience with kidney transplantation, and we had spoken often during the year or so of recovery for me.

She got the cancer about 1 1/2 years after my transplant, and called me out the blue one day, to tell me, she "got it."

She said, "tired is not wanting to climb the stairs to go to bed; fatigue is when you literally cannot make it up the stairs and collapse/pass out, and sleep, on the bottom step."

Not trying to pull rank, or over justify my nap situation. I just wanted to share a different perspective. Believe me, I miss the days when I didn't need naps!

You really have been through the ringer I'm glad that everything seems to be working out with your transplant and health, if you have to rest during the day, so be it.

What you describe I don't really look at as regular "naps". To me, that is exhaustion due to medical reasons. I don't get sick very often, but I did have some whammys. That is the only time I actually slept during the day. And it was a weird sleeping, almost more along the lines of passing out.
    Wherever I sat down, couch, table, even the computer chair, I would put my head down and immediately be "out". In a deep, heavy sleep. Sometimes I would still be half awake, but for the life of me, I couldn't completely wake up or lift my head. And I felt like I had lead in my veins, rather then blood, felt heavy and literally unable to do many things.

Not a good feeling

Many people I know are healthy but simply like to take power naps. I don't because I wake up groggy rather then refreshed.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

16. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-14-2018)