Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,279

3 members and 2,276 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

How do I stop my Burm peeing in her warm hide and laying in it?

Hi guys. So my 7 month old Burm has a habit of peeing in her warm hide and laying in it.

When I notice it I take her out, give her a warm bath then remove the soiled substrate and F10 anything the pee touched.

But I'm concerned that this will have a detrimental effect on her skin as she's done it 3 times now. If I'm at work I won't be able to clean it until later.

Can someone tell me how I can stop her doing this? And how will it affect her health if she keeps doing it?

Hot spot is 91 during the day, 88 at night, cool side is always 75, humidity is 60 - 70. Lights on and off for 12 hours.

She looks and acts healthy but this pee stinks. Is that normal?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Valyrian; 03-12-2018 at 08:01 PM.
    0.1 CB17 Pearl Burmese Python - Kaiju

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Caesar sometimes poops or pisses and lays on top of it. Just a snake being a snake. I probably wouldnt worry about it assuming you supplying clean drinking water all the time and arent leaving the stuff to grow fur. I really only give caesar baths when he actually smears the poop on him. Otherwise, i just play the shoving game with Caesar and clean up the poop and area around it and F10SC.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (03-13-2018),Craiga 01453 (03-13-2018),Valyrian (03-12-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    Unfortunately you really can't prevent it. All you can do is make sure there's enough substrate to absorb her output so what she's lying on is damp versus sopping wet until you can clean her up.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (03-13-2018),Sonny1318 (03-12-2018),Valyrian (03-12-2018)

Thanks

Re: How do I stop my Burm peeing in her warm hide and laying in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Caesar sometimes poops or pisses and lays on top of it. Just a snake being a snake. I probably wouldnt worry about it assuming you supplying clean drinking water all the time and arent leaving the stuff to grow fur. I really only give caesar baths when he actually smears the poop on him. Otherwise, i just play the shoving game with Caesar and clean up the poop and area around it and F10SC.
    Does the pee stink? I moved her up to two weaner rats on Friday so do you think that could cause the smell?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Unfortunately you really can't prevent it. All you can do is make sure there's enough substrate to absorb her output so what she's lying on is damp versus sopping wet until you can clean her up.
    Ah ok, I'm due to clean the whole setup this weekend coming up so I'll make sure the substrate is deeper. Thanks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Valaryan View Post
    Does the pee stink? I moved her up to two weaner rats on Friday so do you think that could cause the smell?

Yup. I mean it doesnt smell like death warmed over or anything. But it smells like piss lol. Caesar always had an odor to his cage as he pisses all the time. I found putting live potted Pothos in the all my snake cages has eliminated any odors and the snakes seem to like the plants. Some more than others haha. Also Caesar doesnt really push anymore since adding the plant. He still paces the front and windshield wipes the doors but at least he quit pushing. Maybe its the elimination of the musty piss smell? Who knows but it works.

I doubt its the rats that make the piss smell. As snakes get bigger, they will piss more which just smells more. When Caesar actually decides to drop a 'real' piss, its like a tsunami.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (03-13-2018),Craiga 01453 (03-13-2018),Kcl (03-13-2018),Sonny1318 (03-12-2018),Valyrian (03-12-2018)

Thanks

Yup. I mean it doesnt smell like death warmed over or anything. But it smells like piss lol. Caesar always had an odor to his cage as he pisses all the time. I found putting live potted Pothos in the all my snake cages has eliminated any odors and the snakes seem to like the plants. Some more than others haha. Also Caesar doesnt really push anymore since adding the plant. He still paces the front and windshield wipes the doors but at least he quit pushing. Maybe its the elimination of the musty piss smell? Who knows but it works.

I doubt its the rats that make the piss smell. As snakes get bigger, they will piss more which just smells more. When Caesar actually decides to drop a 'real' piss, its like a tsunami.
    I guess the plants clean the air, I might try that too.

Damn, I so just googled that plant and found it can grow to 20 meters high lol.

Last edited by Valyrian; 03-12-2018 at 09:20 PM.

Thanks

I guess the plants clean the air, I might try that too.

Damn, I so just googled that plant and found it can grow to 20 meters high lol.

What!!?? You sure you looked up the right plant lol? It's a Pothos. It's a tropical vine. They get like 1-2 feet tall but can vine out to like 10+ feet if you dont cut them back. I like them as they do grow out more than up so they will provide good ground cover for the snakes and the snakes can climb on them without killing them. Plus they are pretty indestructible and will even grow under LEDs. My poor parlor palm is on its last leg i think and the prayer plant is not looking too great either but all the pothos are growing like weeds and sprouting new leaves all over. Plus you can take cuttings and stick them in a pot and they will grow new plants so no need to buy more plants. They are also one of the top air cleaning plants. I guess they love nitrates or nitrites, cant remember now.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (03-13-2018),Valyrian (03-13-2018)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

How do I stop my Burm peeing in her warm hide and laying in it?

Hi guys. So my 7 month old Burm has a habit of peeing in her warm hide and laying in it.

When I notice it I take her out, give her a warm bath then remove the soiled substrate and F10 anything the pee touched.

But I'm concerned that this will have a detrimental effect on her skin as she's done it 3 times now. If I'm at work I won't be able to clean it until later.

Can someone tell me how I can stop her doing this? And how will it affect her health if she keeps doing it?

Hot spot is 91 during the day, 88 at night, cool side is always 75, humidity is 60 - 70. Lights on and off for 12 hours.

She looks and acts healthy but this pee stinks. Is that normal?

Thanks.

Welcome to having a Burm. ...wait until thats a Liter of piss & a 15 foot Burm laying in it. lol.
    100% normal... And Piss Stinks!!!
    This is why I say 1 Giant is more than enough
    Nothing will happen from the snake laying in it unless you left it for weeks everytime... Once she is bigger she wont use a Hide and the piss will dry from the Temps of the enclosure quicker... But I clean (That night) after work whenever they go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CALM Pythons; 03-13-2018 at 01:23 AM.
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (03-13-2018),Valyrian (03-13-2018)

Thanks

What!!?? You sure you looked up the right plant lol? It's a Pothos. It's a tropical vine. They get like 1-2 feet tall but can vine out to like 10+ feet if you dont cut them back. I like them as they do grow out more than up so they will provide good ground cover for the snakes and the snakes can climb on them without killing them. Plus they are pretty indestructible and will even grow under LEDs. My poor parlor palm is on its last leg i think and the prayer plant is not looking too great either but all the pothos are growing like weeds and sprouting new leaves all over. Plus you can take cuttings and stick them in a pot and they will grow new plants so no need to buy more plants. They are also one of the top air cleaning plants. I guess they love nitrates or nitrites, cant remember now.
    Ha ha yeah it does say they need to anchor themselves to things to grow that high

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast