Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 242

3 members and 239 guests
Most users ever online was 3,642, 05-08-2016 at 08:50 AM.


» Today's Birthdays

aymx (27)
Moloik (22)

» Stats

Members: 61,534
Threads: 233,854
Posts: 2,420,517
Top Poster: JLC (31,652)
Welcome to our newest member, Nikki1292
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 39 of 39
  1. #31
    Registered User Newbie39's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-15-2017
    Location
    Milton, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    260
    Thanks
    67
    Thanked 90 Times in 72 Posts

    Re: My 6 foot RTB bit me and I'm a little freaked out

    Quote Originally Posted by aliamo View Post
    Thank you, and yes, she is my friend. I've been bonding with her over the last 6 months, she doesn't hate people, and has never shown any signs of aggression before this. She's not a trick and I don't think of her as a 'prop' either. I think of her as a dance partner. I never force her into movements as was shown on the youtube links someone posted. I let her use me as her tree as I dance slowly and carefully. I'm sure most people here will not understand the difference and that's ok.
    You think of her as a dance partner? She is a snake and a pet. You need to treat as such. She is likely very stressed by your actions.
    0.1 Female Normal
    0.1 Lab mix

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Newbie39 For This Useful Post:

    C.Marie (03-13-2018),GoingPostal (03-14-2018)

  3. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-18-2018
    Posts
    79
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 68 Times in 32 Posts
    In some cultures and older traditions, I think it is not unusual to use an animal to "dance" with or as part of a ritual dance. Of course, some end up being sacrificed at the end but there was a dance of some sort, so is that the type of dance you are performing? Some kind of a spiritual dance?

    I personally would not use any of my pets for such activities, and I have dogs, cats, etc. None, especially with a snake. The reason why you were bit? Because they are animals. That would be the most simple, straight forward answer. Even if your pet was healthy, it does not mean it won't strike out. Unless you can read snake behavior to the dot, which sounds like you can't yet due to lack of experience, the chances of being bitten again is great. I'm sure if I stress my dog--who is well trained with CGC--she too would eventually had enough and nip.

    Being creative should not equate to being selfish. Your snake never had a choice but to be your pet and to be pulled in every direction you want it to take. If you are creative in your art, you can find something else (non living) to compliment your dance.
    Last edited by Cheesenugget; 03-13-2018 at 10:53 AM.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

    C.Marie (03-13-2018)

  5. #33
    BPnet Veteran Prognathodon's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-21-2015
    Location
    NE Illinois
    Posts
    1,193
    Thanks
    1,340
    Thanked 912 Times in 547 Posts
    Images: 2

    Re: My 6 foot RTB bit me and I'm a little freaked out

    Think about it this way: You’re in your bedroom relaxing, when some giant thing takes you out and does that weird giant thing that they do with you, then puts you back in your room. OK, fine, whatever, it’s that weird thing, back to what you were doing before.

    Fast forward a short while, giant thing takes you out of your bedroom, puts you into a strange box with strange stuff, box moves and shakes for a long time, giant takes you out in strange place, strange smells, strange lights, and does that weird thing they do. Then puts you in strange box. You’re trying to be cool about this, at least the giant and the weird thing they do with you is familiar. Except then they take you out, do the weird thing again, and back in the box again. What the what? And then AGAIN. What is going on giant thing? What are you doing to me? (Yes, she probably was displaying signs of stress). Back again. WHAT? AGAIN? That’s IT! You wouldn’t pay attention when I told you nicely, now you get the bite!

    And that’s without the stress of mites - think being lived on by a horde of mosquitos.

    If you wanted her to be a dance partner, you’d limit it to once or twice a week, at home, for only a few minutes at a time, and only when she’s clearly happy/comfortable snake. It does sound like your dancing with her is probably reasonable, but the rest is a recipe for getting bit.

    We’ve all made mistakes. I unintentionally annoyed my blood python enough that she progressed from body language, through warning nose-bops, a couple mild defensive nips, to full-on KNOCK THAT GARBAGE OFF bites. And it was my fault for not “listening” when she told me she didn’t like what I was doing. But I realized my errors very quickly after it happened, and haven’t made the same mistakes since.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Prognathodon For This Useful Post:

    C.Marie (03-13-2018),craigafrechette (03-14-2018),MissterDog (03-13-2018)

  7. #34
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-16-2017
    Posts
    30
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Re: My 6 foot RTB bit me and I'm a little freaked out

    Prognathodon - thanks for that analogy. Totally makes sense and I figured so much was the case. Just to clarify, I didn't take her out several times during the week for dancing. I practiced with her earlier in the week, then discovered the mite issue, took her out to treat her and the cage, naively thought she was better due to not seeing any and her not soaking anymore, then brought her out to take her to the studio. I am just now learning about how mites work, I was aware of them before but didn't think they would be an issue for me since I do not have any other animals.

    To the others, yes, she is my pet and I have deep respect for her. When I said I think of her as my dance partner i meant WHILE I am dancing with her, rather than thinking of her as a prop. I do belly dance and have several friends who dance with their snakes AND have been raising snakes for years and very knowledgeable and respectful of their animals. Just trying to point out that it's not impossible to have respect and knowledge of an animal AND also work with them in creative ways. That being said, I have not performed with her on stage as of yet. I have just been bonding with her and getting to know her in the time I have had her and have only casually danced around at home with her before taking her to the studio for the first time.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to aliamo For This Useful Post:

    AbsoluteApril (03-13-2018)

  9. #35
    BPnet Veteran tttaylorrr's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-10-2014
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois USA
    Posts
    4,987
    Thanks
    3,444
    Thanked 4,494 Times in 2,457 Posts
    Images: 22

    Re: My 6 foot RTB bit me and I'm a little freaked out

    Quote Originally Posted by aliamo View Post
    Prognathodon - thanks for that analogy. Totally makes sense and I figured so much was the case. Just to clarify, I didn't take her out several times during the week for dancing. I practiced with her earlier in the week, then discovered the mite issue, took her out to treat her and the cage, naively thought she was better due to not seeing any and her not soaking anymore, then brought her out to take her to the studio. I am just now learning about how mites work, I was aware of them before but didn't think they would be an issue for me since I do not have any other animals.

    To the others, yes, she is my pet and I have deep respect for her. When I said I think of her as my dance partner i meant WHILE I am dancing with her, rather than thinking of her as a prop. I do belly dance and have several friends who dance with their snakes AND have been raising snakes for years and very knowledgeable and respectful of their animals. Just trying to point out that it's not impossible to have respect and knowledge of an animal AND also work with them in creative ways. That being said, I have not performed with her on stage as of yet. I have just been bonding with her and getting to know her in the time I have had her and have only casually danced around at home with her before taking her to the studio for the first time.
    i came down pretty harsh on you earlier, which i really hope you didn't take personal offense to. i'm sorry if i ended up offending you, as that wasn't my intention. you're here to correct your mistakes and i really hope you take everyone's words to heart. we only want what's best for your girl.

    first and foremost you need to get her healthy. you shouldn't even be thinking about her performing; she does NOTHING besides eat, sleep, drink and poop until she is 100% better. once she's healthy, you need to go sloooooooooooooooow. the pace you were working her at before might have been a bit much (with or without mites) so take things on her time. she also might be freaked out from the last experience so you need to make sure she is TOTALLY comfortable before you push her any further.

    honestly, knowing my own snakes (i keep no boas) i would probably work with them for almost a year before i was confident they could "perform." but i really don't know much about boas or performing with snakes lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by aliamo View Post
    Just trying to point out that it's not impossible to have respect and knowledge of an animal AND also work with them in creative ways.
    you're absolutely right, and i hope you're not one of those people who don't respect the animals. that fact that you're trying is more than we've seen from other people who've had much worse situations than your own. i just wanted to come back around and say no hard feelings. lord knows i'm no perfect snake keeper...
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 03-13-2018 at 04:43 PM. Reason: grammar
    3.3 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow (High Contrast) het Piebald

    0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix


    1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

    1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

    0.1 human
    ✌︎

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

    dakski (03-13-2018)

  11. #36
    BPnet Lifer zina10's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-09-2010
    Location
    southeast
    Posts
    3,804
    Thanks
    4,303
    Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,019 Posts
    Images: 2
    Sorry, but not a fan of using snakes as any kind of "prop". Esp. a dance routine prop.

    What is a water bottle going to do ? It will be either to warm (hot water) or quickly cool down to to cool. A blanket does nothing, this is a cold blooded animal. You even admit you are new to reptiles, then why would you want to do this to this animal?

    No matter how you make your moves match her moving, that is still a lot of being jostled around. The snake can never ground itself, looking around and feeling anchored and safe. Plus being put in the basket, out and jostled, back in, out and jostled, good lord !!!

    Performing can be stressful to any animal, but most at least understand it. Perform >> reward >> relaxation. They can comprehend that. A reptile with their little brain just knows one thing. The whole world just went all topsy turvy. The temps are all over the place.

    You risk a bite during a performance, and then the hobby will take another hit with the audience coming to the conclusion what nasty animals those snakes really are..

    When you handle snakes, you try to work your way up to mutual trust. That means frequent but short handling at first. Making the snake feel safe, not like its going to fall or a earthquake has just hit!!!! You put the snake back into its familiar enclosure after the short handling session.

    True, I used to take some of my snakes to schools for educational purposes. But even then, they had actual TRAVEL containers in which I could control the heat (in the car through its heater/AC and at the destination through electricity) They were handled with respect and in a manner that made them feel safe. And got frequent breaks. Plus they grew up with this and were non plussed.

    Find another prop to dance with. This snake may very well bite again, and next time it may hurt worse. Let her be a snake, handle her at home and with care (for her)

    Well, thats my opinion.
    Zina

    0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjana"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Pastel Yellowbelly Ball Python "Jag"

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupČry

  12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

    CALM Pythons (03-14-2018),craigafrechette (03-14-2018),Jus1More (03-16-2018),MD_Pythons (03-14-2018),MissterDog (03-14-2018),Sonny1318 (03-14-2018),tttaylorrr (03-13-2018)

  13. #37
    Registered User CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-31-2016
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,175
    Thanks
    2,373
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 994 Posts
    Images: 18

    Re: My 6 foot RTB bit me and I'm a little freaked out

    Well to each their own, your not trying to argue and I understand what your saying but you aren't on the same page. Several people do all kinds of things as you mentioned other people use their snakes in a routine but that doesnt mean its right. Be prepared to get tagged because Boa's dont play around. When they dont like things they let you know they dont hide their head like a Ball Python. If you do get Bit agian I hope your anake doesnt loose teeth because that can start a whole nother problem and infection. If your the main attraction and your Belly Dancing as a Man I can tell you the last thing Im going to care about is if you have a snake or not while I'm watching you


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)



  14. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

    Sonny1318 (03-14-2018)

  15. #38
    Registered User craigafrechette's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-27-2017
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    5,692
    Thanks
    6,915
    Thanked 4,250 Times in 2,428 Posts

    Re: My 6 foot RTB bit me and I'm a little freaked out

    Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    You risk a bite during a performance, and then the hobby will take another hit with the audience coming to the conclusion what nasty animals those snakes really are..

    When you handle snakes, you try to work your way up to mutual trust. That means frequent but short handling at first. Making the snake feel safe, not like its going to fall or a earthquake has just hit!!!! You put the snake back into its familiar enclosure after the short handling session.

    Find another prop to dance with. This snake may very well bite again, and next time it may hurt worse. Let her be a snake, handle her at home and with care (for her)

    Well, thats my opinion.

    Quote Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post
    Well to each their own, your not trying to argue and I understand what your saying but you aren't on the same page. Several people do all kinds of things as you mentioned other people use their snakes in a routine but that doesnt mean its right. Be prepared to get tagged because Boa's dont play around. When they dont like things they let you know they dont hide their head like a Ball Python. If you do get Bit agian I hope your anake doesnt loose teeth because that can start a whole nother problem and infection. If your the main attraction and your Belly Dancing as a Man I can tell you the last thing Im going to care about is if you have a snake or not while I'm watching you


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Like the others I quoted have said, you're putting yourself and the snake at risk, as well as potentially darkening the already black eye the snake community already has.

    I'm not trying to be rude, but I am serious about drilling home a point. This is A LIVING ANIMAL, and a WILD animal. That being said, I'm not 100% opposed to snakes as "props" in entertainment. I mentioned in my first reply on this thread that I got to know a daredevil/thrill show act years ago. They had been working with those animals for YEARS, since the snakes were babies. It took YEARS of developing a mutual trust before these animals were ready. And....CALM Pythons even managed to find a video of Jill getting tagged in the face. So, accidents happen. BUT, the point I'm trying to make is this: NEITHER YOU NOR YOUR SNAKE ARE READY FOR WHAT YOU'RE TRYING TO DO.

    If you're intent on making this dancing with snakes thing a reality you NEED to put it on the back burner for a few YEARS. Get yourself a juvenile snake and bond with tje animal, develop a mutual trust with the animal. Then, a few YEARS down the road revisit the situation. If you still want to do it explore your options then.
    Last edited by craigafrechette; 03-14-2018 at 10:48 AM.
    ...life is beautiful...

    "Every man dies, not every man really lives"
    - Braveheart

    "If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead"
    - Layne Staley, Alice In Chains

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to craigafrechette For This Useful Post:

    bcr229 (03-14-2018),MissterDog (03-14-2018)

  17. #39
    Registered User jcorsaletti's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-03-2018
    Posts
    32
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 23 Times in 9 Posts
    Images: 7

    Re: My 6 foot RTB bit me and I'm a little freaked out

    Quote Originally Posted by aliamo View Post
    Thank you, and yes, she is my friend. I've been bonding with her over the last 6 months, she doesn't hate people, and has never shown any signs of aggression before this. She's not a trick and I don't think of her as a 'prop' either. I think of her as a dance partner. I never force her into movements as was shown on the youtube links someone posted. I let her use me as her tree as I dance slowly and carefully. I'm sure most people here will not understand the difference and that's ok.
    handling her once a week is not bonding I'm sorry lol. I take my ball python out as much as I can, as long as she hasn't just eaten or is in shed. now it is to the point where she will wait for me to take her out, and she is 8 months old. she sleeps on my chest while I watch TV, that's a bond. I would start my acclimating your friend to a little more handling, and definitely not while she's hungry (which btw you should feed her more often unless she is refusing) you need to gain a mutual trust with her before you start taking her to strange, probably noisey, flashy places for prolonged amounts of time. your snake is no where near ready for "preforming" and if that is your intention maybe you should get a gig with an already preforming snake and treat yours as she should be treated.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1