Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,893

1 members and 2,892 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Yes, I am trying to heal her. Like I said I only recently realized she had mites. I didn't think it was a bad case because I only saw one, after I treated her she did not go to soak and seemed ok. I inspected her and could not see any. It wasn't until after the bite that she went straight back to her water bowl. Obviously I am still learning about how the mites work.

She was only out of her enclosure for a few hours. I had her in the car only 30 mins on the way there then 30 mins on the way back and I had her basket on the seat warmer , the heater, and a warm water bottle in the basket. I live in LA where it was in the 60s last night. The studio I had her in was warm.

I know several people who dance/perform with snakes who also love, respect and take good care of them. I also have seen people who perform with the snakes who use them as a prop and don't seem to have any respect for them - I am not one of them. I love and respect my snake and am doing my best to take care of her. I didn't come here looking for sympathy, and in fact I figured that people would make negative assumptions about my situation, but hoped I would gain some insight on what the possible causes for the bite are- e.g. do mites make them cranky, would having her out more than usual stress her out, etc. Or see if anyone has had similar experiences. I am thankful for the insight that many have shared here. I don't appreciate being accused of abusing my snake or not respecting her, but hey, it's an internet forum and I also didn't go into much detail.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Re: My 6 foot RTB bit me and I'm a little freaked out

I would definitely attribute the bite to stress.
    1) the stress of being moved around from car to basket, to dancer, to basket, to dancer, to basket, to car, to basket.
    NO snake is going to tolerate that very well. It is VERY stressful for the animal.
    Boas prefer to stay in there safe sanctuary with proper temps and humidity. They do not like to travel around in baskets and cars.
    Heck, i would probably bite too, if treated like that.

2) Also, I’m sure the snake is very uncomfortable with mites. She just wants to soak in some 80-85 degree water and be left alone. I had a ball python completely cure herself of mites, by giving her a large water bowl, which she could completely submerge her entire body under water except her nostrils to breathe.
    She drowned all the mites, and all the baby mites that hatched, eradicating the entire lot of them. All i did was change the water bowl and newspaper daily, and scrub the tank out daily, and let her soak in her “bathtub”. After a couple weeks, she stopped soaking and was cured. Ive never seen a mite since.

You should NOT be taking her anywhere, she needs to be treated fir mites and needs rest. Taking her to dance practice will stress her out snd possibly spread the mites to other animals.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (03-13-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aliamo View Post
    I didn't think it was a bad case because I only saw one, after I treated her she did not go to soak and seemed ok.
    how naive...

She was only out of her enclosure for a few hours.
    what scope are you using the justify the term "only"? to a snake, "only" a few hours is a long time.

I know several people who dance/perform with snakes who also love, respect and take good care of them. I also have seen people who perform with the snakes who use them as a prop and don't seem to have any respect for them - I am not one of them.
    your small group's lived experiences do not trump the years of research and keeping that are available on this forum. just bc you know other snakes doesn't mean you know anything about the species. and the fact you think you're better than others like you is also naive and laughable.

I love and respect my snake and am doing my best to take care of her.
    then keeping learning bc you're far from being an ideal owner. any knowedgable keeper would literally NEVER use an animal as a prop for a dance routine, let alone a sick one...sorry, not sorry.

I didn't come here looking for sympathy, and in fact I figured that people would make negative assumptions about my situation, but hoped I would gain some insight on what the possible causes for the bite are
    great, bc no one will give you much.

if you had a bug constantly biting you, would you be cool? then you get woken up and shuffled around almost daily, only to be paraded under lights and loud music? to be put back, taken out, repeatedly?

not that hard to figure out what happened...oy.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 03-13-2018 at 12:00 AM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (03-13-2018),Sonny1318 (03-13-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Some snakes just hate people, plain and simple. There is no complex reasoning, they just hate people lol. Live with it or re home them. But yes, first off you need to get the whole parasite issues and husbandry issues straightened out. Then you can see if you can work with her.

And no matter how 'tame' a snake is, they can still bite. Like i said, i got Rosey when she was an 18 inch worm over 5 years ago and she has never hissed or bit. She didnt even hiss or bite when the vet shoved a needle in the lump on her nose to take a sample of the liquid to find the best antibiotic for her. But she tagged me when i startled her and about a minute later, i reached in and just scooped her out and she was fine. Stuff happens.

But again, get the snake feeling better and secure, then worry about making friends with it. Heck I've had my GTP almost 3 months now and never handled him/her. I just let it settle in, get eating good and pooping. Now it is curious as can be and cruises all over at night and even checks me out when i clean the cage and stuff. And it even peeked it's head outside the cage door when i was standing there to just see what was outside and look at me. Once a snake feels comfortable, they will become inquisitive which is when you can start working with them as it will be on their terms and not yours. They arent a dog, you arent going to 'break' them into being submissive.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (03-13-2018),Godzilla78 (03-13-2018)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

My 6 foot RTB bit me and I'm a little freaked out

Heres what happens when Snakes don't want to be used as a accessory.
    This snake actually died after.
    https://youtu.be/o75uNKEFWaY

https://youtu.be/7ps9jFAKTQY

https://youtu.be/H_RYTHVz95c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CALM Pythons; 03-13-2018 at 12:37 AM.
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (03-13-2018),tttaylorrr (03-13-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post

Clearly was a male snake!!
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (03-13-2018),CALM Pythons (03-13-2018)

Thanks
    I hope you understand everyone is truly looking out for the best interest of your animal , I went to a performing arts school and knew a ballerina that had a mind blowing routine with a long silk scruf with little crystals randomly place she twirl it around and it would sparkle and enhance he movements , plus never have to worry about about a oops of the poor critter using the bathroom on you as well as stressing out a living being. Your noodle should be your friend not your tool you pull from a sack like a magician would a nickel from behind one's ears. Hope she gets better soon.
    Domestic Short Hair - Miss Becky
    Russian Blue - Church
    Miniature Poodle - Pierre LaPoodlePants
    Banana BP - Yuri Katsuki

13. The Following User Says Thank You to C.Marie For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (03-13-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by C.Marie View Post
    I hope you understand everyone is truly looking out for the best interest of your animal , I went to a performing arts school and knew a ballerina that had a mind blowing routine with a long silk scruf with little crystals randomly place she twirl it around and it would sparkle and enhance he movements , plus never have to worry about about a oops of the poor critter using the bathroom on you as well as stressing out a living being. Your noodle should be your friend not your tool you pull from a sack like a magician would a nickel from behind one's ears. Hope she gets better soon.
    Thank you, and yes, she is my friend. I've been bonding with her over the last 6 months, she doesn't hate people, and has never shown any signs of aggression before this. She's not a trick and I don't think of her as a 'prop' either. I think of her as a dance partner. I never force her into movements as was shown on the youtube links someone posted. I let her use me as her tree as I dance slowly and carefully. I'm sure most people here will not understand the difference and that's ok.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post

Ha! The burlesque dancer was actually the thrill show act I referenced earlier. That's Thrill Kill Jill and her husband Tyler Fyre comes out to grab the snake.
    They're actually really good people, but yeah, the snake is being paraded around, danced with, etc... it's not a matter of "if" but "when".

The first one, with the model, had pretty good aim, but I prefer natural myself.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (03-13-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Yes, I am trying to heal her.

I know several people who dance/perform with snakes who also love, respect and take good care of them.
    A) if you're TRULY trying to heal a snake you care about do some research on your animal, LEAVE IT HOME and provide proper care. Maybe, MAYBE in a year or two once the animal is healthy and you've had time to properly bond and develop a mutual trust, then start thinking about bringing it on stage. But for the love of the animal, LEAVE IT HOME.

B) Just because you see others doing it doesn't mean you know their husbandry practices, know if the animals are stressed, ill, etc... And with your limited knowledge I'm not sure you would know the difference anyway.

I know several people who do LOTS of stupid stuff, that doesn't mean I should.

Honestly, PLEASE do that snake a favor and STOP using it as a prop (I know, you'll argue it's not a prop, but by definition, it IS a dance prop).
    Learn about your animal and raise it properly. I know you may be traveling soon based on a previous thread. If that's the case, rehome the animal or find a QUALIFIED friend or family member to care for it in your absence. Just DON'T take the snake with you.
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 03-13-2018 at 07:56 AM.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (03-13-2018),MissterDog (03-13-2018),Sonny1318 (03-13-2018)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast