Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,707

4 members and 2,703 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Philly spelled it out for you quite simply, and very well indeed!
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (03-13-2018),Sonny1318 (03-12-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Gotta go with the others here...

A sick, hungry, stressed out snake that's being paraded around and used as a dance prop is NOT going to heal and will only suffer.

I've seen daredevil/thrill show acts where snakes were used before. I actually got to know the performers well as we worked the tattoo festival together for a 3 day weekend each year. I asked about the snakes and they both said the same thing. The have a shared trust for one another, had been together since the snakes were babies and they were not brought out on stage until there were ready. They also had full setups backstage where the animals were quietly housed between shows.

Get your snake healthy and then reevaluate whether what you're doing is safe for the snake, yourself and other performers and audience members.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (03-13-2018),dakski (03-12-2018),Jus1More (03-12-2018),MissterDog (03-12-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    According to your post history your boa has been soaking in her water since last fall, so by now you are dealing with a full-blown mite infestation. Given the timeline I bet she arrived with them. If you have other snakes then they will also need to be treated.

Understand that none of your snakes go anywhere until the infestation has been eradicated. No practices, no auditions, not to NY, nowhere. A snake with mites should stay isolated with the minimum possible handling until the infestation is gone so you don't spread them around more. Best-case scenario for treating a snake is two months if you find mites immediately when you bring the snake home. Worst case, which is what you have since your whole house and car will be contaminated by now, is double that if you treat aggressively. Bear in mind that a female mite can go 12 months without eating again after she's had a blood meal, which is why they are so hard to get rid of.

I wrote up a "How to get rid of mites" at https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...e-boa!!!/page2 post #13 based on the two battles I've won against them over the years. Pick out the treatments that work best for your situation.

Now that said...

Older boas can take a very long time to acclimate to a new environment and new keeper. Six months is nothing. The mite issue aside, you're pushing your girl too hard too fast, and she let you know it in the only way she knows how. Babies and juveniles can actually deal with changes better than many adults, especially if the adult has been settled with one keeper for many years and isn't used to being brought to new environments or around strange people.

For an "entertainment" snake I would have gotten a younger critter and conditioned it to accept new locations, sights, smells, etc. instead of starting with an adult.

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (03-13-2018),Craiga 01453 (03-12-2018),dakski (03-12-2018),Godzilla78 (03-12-2018),Jus1More (03-12-2018),MissterDog (03-12-2018),tttaylorrr (03-12-2018),zina10 (03-13-2018),Zincubus (03-12-2018)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Hard to tell but looks like the red mark might be a scrape?
    Agree with other points brought up. I'll also add - it could have been the stress that caused the bite, a 'just leave me be', it could also have been something totally accidental that you didn't notice happen (said you were talking to your friend at the time?). I rewatched a video I had taken handling one of my ATBs that had bitten me and at the time I thought it was just normal ATB bitey behavior but watching the vid back I saw where my fingers accidentally pinched her by the neck for just a second and that is what caused the bite. Possibly something got pinched or moved weirdly when you were at home and taking her out that last time. Or she had simply had enough.
    Good luck with the mite treatments, be vigilant and use PAM as directed.
    For the Horde!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (03-13-2018)

Thanks
    Thanks for the input everyone. To clarify, I had a warm water bottle in her basket with her and a cozy blanket. I have full respect and admiration for her, I'm not just using her as a dance prop. Even in my performance, my dance is improvised around HER movements, I do not force her into uncomfortable choreographies or anything of the sort.

bcr229, as for the mites, yes I am coming to realize that she likely has had them since I got her. I do not have any other pets other than her. I had never spotted a mite on her before the other day. And even then could only find one. Anxiously awaiting the provent a mite to treat her properly.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    Sounds like to me you got what you deserved. Want to hate on me, hate on me. The others just tried to tell you nicely. I feel for the snake, I really do. Sounds like this animal is in danger, plain and simple. I get people being excited for their reptile friends, but this is just abusive.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (03-13-2018),Fastfish (08-24-2018)

Thanks

Re: My 6 foot RTB bit me and I'm a little freaked out

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny1318 View Post
    Sounds like to me you got what you deserved. Want to hate on me, hate on me. The others just tried to tell you nicely. I feel for the snake, I really do. Sounds like this animal is in danger, plain and simple. I get people being excited for their reptile friends, but this is just abusive.

Wow. In danger? Abusive? How do you figure that? I care for and respect my snake. That being said, I am a new snake owner and as I have done lots of research and talked to many knowledgeable reptile owners, I am also figuring things out with my girl. I want the best for her first and foremost and, contrary to what you have assumed, am not carelessly using her as a prop.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 667 Posts
    We can only go by what you share...

a warm water bottle????

how long was she out of her enclosure total? Travel time etc? Where do you live even. What are the temps?

i think if you are looking for sympathy or an “it will be ok” you came to the wrong place.

You may not think you are using her as a prop but from what you describe you are and that’s why you were bit and the longer this goes on the more aggressive and agitated and sick she will become.

Most animals dont take well to being “shown “ even dogs it takes a toll on.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Phillydubs For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (03-13-2018),Craiga 01453 (03-13-2018),Sonny1318 (03-12-2018),tttaylorrr (03-12-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    My 6.5 foot girl tagged me last week or the week before. She hasnt so much as hissed the past 5+ years. I think i startled her as she was sleeping next to the door and i just slid it open and reached in over her. She seemed as shocked as me lol. She sat their coiled up all looking around. I just reached in and pulled her out and she was fine. She sat on my shoulders while i wiped the blood river off my arm lol.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (03-13-2018),Craiga 01453 (03-13-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: My 6 foot RTB bit me and I'm a little freaked out

Well it does not look like your getting the thumbs up on your thread. But look at it this way, you think you are doing no harm but in reality is you are. The community here only gives you helpful advice but some of it you dont want to hear, so you decide whether you want to take it or not.. Nobody enjoys getting bit either by their snake but there is a reason you got tag and you need to read between the lines.

I have to agree with everyone else and say that you need to first heal your girl of her mites first and then continue to bond with her on her terms in a quiet safe environment ... Respect her and watch her body language, she is obviously pissed off at you. Also, remember these creatures are delicate..they are not like a dog where you can take them everywhere...These snakes like to just remain warm and safe in their enclosures.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jus1More For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (03-13-2018),Sonny1318 (03-12-2018)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast