Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 853

4 members and 849 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Leo Tank Dimensions

I currently have a 47" x 19" x 17" viv set up for the leo I've ordered, but he hasn't been in one this big before. If he gets too stressed, will a 34" x 19" x 16" be big enough for him? I have plenty of hides and cover for both and the bigger has been reaching temps no problem.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Leo Tank Dimensions

Quote Originally Posted by mzh3de View Post
    I currently have a 47" x 19" x 17" viv set up for the leo I've ordered, but he hasn't been in one this big before. If he gets too stressed, will a 34" x 19" x 16" be big enough for him? I have plenty of hides and cover for both and the bigger has been reaching temps no problem.
    I kept three LG females in a 6X2' and they did fine, until one got aggressive (after 4 years together). Now I have the cage split in two. So 3X2' for one and 3X2' for the other two who get along fine.

I would say the most important thing is the temp gradient. If your hot side is good (88-90F) and your cool side is good (78-80F), with ambients in the low 80's (it can drop at night, but I keep mine constant), I don't think the cage size is a big issue.

Many people like LG's because one can live in a 10-20G easily. However, I like more room for them. Better temp gradient as mentioned, but also they like a lot of stuff in their tank.

Both LG setups I have include a water dish, a food dish, a calcium powder dish, several hides, and moist hide. Cleo, in particular, loves the moist hide. She spends a lot of time in there (the others only do when they are going to shed). I use a plastic container (shoe box size) for the moist hide and keep on the cool side.

Although the 47X19X17" viv may seem large, I think your LG will do fine in it, especially when you provide hides and everything listed above. Having said that, a 34X19X16" will be plenty big too. Again, they can easily live as adults in a 10-20G (preferably the latter because of temp gradient and all the stuff more so than that they need the room).

I would go with whatever is easier for you and better temp wise. Either option you have will be great for one LG!

Good luck!

Thanks

Re: Leo Tank Dimensions

Alright, thanks :) It will only be for one LG, since I'm not a huge fan of cohabbing. The temps are good, and he has a water dish, calcium dish, food dish, four hides (one of which is a moist hide), foliage, and UV. Here's hoping the bigger one will be fine, but it's a relief the smaller will do him fine if not.
    Last edited by mzh3de; 03-16-2018 at 03:26 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mzh3de For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-16-2018)