Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,939

0 members and 2,939 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts

Calling All Scientists

I am curious if anyone here has a degree and/or works in the field of environmental science, wildlife biology, herpetology? In the U.S. preferably, since the steps seem to be a little different in other countries. I am about halfway done with my degree in environmental science and I am just looking for some direction. I go to school currently 100% online, and the only downside I see is that I don't make as many connections or have the same physical opportunities as those that physically attend school. My goal is to eventually work in the field, hopefully with reptiles but open to most wildlife, doing studies and science stuff. Should I pursue higher education after my bachelor's? If so, what direction? I spoke to the wildlife biologist where I volunteer and she thinks I should continue on with a master's for environmental science concentrating on policies....but the policy stuff is a little boring to me. I live pretty remote, another reason physical school would be difficult. What degree should I look into? I am already a federal employee, so maybe that could help, I also volunteer with the Environmental dept at the Army base I work on relocating rattlesnakes and relocating/rescuing injured and nuisance wildlife. What "next steps" should I be taking? Someone help me adult please.
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: Calling All Scientists

I have a Bachelor of Science in Biology - I carry several certifications/licenses.
    I worked with Lab Animals for 10 years (at all levels) breeding transgenic rodent strains and testing pharmaceuticals on them
    I worked 3 years in a Quality Control Lab testing pharmaceuticals
    I worked 3 months as a Chemist working on fixing a major pharmaceutical drug you see advertised constantly on TV (which I am bound by legal contract not to state the name)
    I have been working the last 2 years improving medical devices for one of the largest medical device suppliers in the world

Assuming you want a job that will earn a decent wage:
    -An online degree will not carry the weight of a 'normal' degree (not being mean...just stating fact)
    -Environmental Science majors will often compete with Biology and occasionally Animal Science/Chemistry majors for similar entry level positions.
    -Environmental Science majors have an edge against other majors initially in the field of water/soil testing you could potentially use this to your advantage
    -Experience will start to outweigh education over time in the Life Sciences-Select your first job carefully: it may steer your career heavily in one direction
    -Positions that rely on adjusting policies and political maneuvering often rely on the person selected having had extensive experience performing those tasks
    -Wildlife management positions pay poorly in my area-Exception being the Fish and Game and Environmental Law Enforcement divisions.
    -Getting your Masters is viable if you work for people/an organization that cares. If you do not have a job in place that would reward (promote) you for completing the Masters program or a higher education degree: do not bother...A Masters/Doctorate degree in Environmental Science will make it MORE difficult to enter into a profession unless you have prior work experience within it.

Everyone has their own experiences.
    Anyhow, just my two cents.
    *.* TNTC

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-22-2018),Skittles1101 (12-22-2018)

Thanks
    I'm interested too!

I'm going to school for animal genetics, behavior, and husbandry (not sure which I want to make my focus yet, as they are all connected).

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Nice to see you back here.
    You personally I could see enjoying being a Game Warden.
    Sorry, thats all I have.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

Skittles1101 (12-22-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts

Re: Calling All Scientists

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    Nice to see you back here.
    You personally I could see enjoying being a Game Warden.
    Sorry, thats all I have.
    Thank you! That is high on my list, since I work for the Army as a 911 dispatcher, I work directly with the game wardens. If any of them ever retire!!
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus