Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 552

0 members and 552 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    I've had my leachie since January last year (january 2017). He has grown from 12 grams to 164 grams in that time. During that time period, I have been keeping him in plastic tubs with ventilation holes. He will be moving into a 24"lx 18"W x 24"T exo once it gets planted and stable.

I'd say the hardest thing with them is keeping up humidity, while keeping a clean environment. I would NOT use a critter keeper as they loose too much moisture though the very vented lid. Instead, I'd go with bins that you solder air holes into, or solder a larger hole and cover with mesh (like screen). With mine, I have to change out paper towels every time I change out food (3x a week) because they poop a lot more than cresteds, at least in my experience.

I used paper towels as bedding, with a piece of cork and small RBI hide in his baby setup. When he upgraded to a larger tub, I kept the setup the same, but with a larger hide, another piece of cork, and some foam pool noodles. In his largest tub now (about 14"x15"x14") He has 3 pieces of cork, his food and water bowls, and that's it.

Be aware that they do like small containers when little... My guy was in a tiny 6"x10"x8" box ans did very well. Each time I upgraded his tub size, he went off food for a couple weeks, even with the same furnishings moved.

For price range, I pad about $550 for mine and he is a GTx. I'd say around $450 is the lowest you can find ones with unknown lineage, but expect to pay at least what I did or more for an animal with known localities, etc. For pure line animals or animals with good color lineage, expect to pay ~$700 and up (from what I've seen). Cage aggression is a thing with many leachies and most will projectile-poop on you when picked up. Mine is not aggressive, but does the whistling and pooping every time held, despite gentle handling since we got him.

Gargoyles are another good option. I have 3. They get a little larger / heavier than cresteds. Aren't as fast-moving as adults, and look very neat. They tend to cost more, but you can get a pretty nice looking one for ~$250 or more. Same basic care as cresteds. Some people give theirs basking spots, but they seem to do fine with the same setup as a crested.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

2. The Following User Says Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

BargainBoas (03-08-2018)

Thanks

Re: Looking Into a New Gecko!

Thank you sooo much for all of this advice. While I have considered the gargoyles, I think I am going to go for the leachie.

Quote Originally Posted by artgecko View Post
    I've had my leachie since January last year (january 2017). He has grown from 12 grams to 164 grams in that time. During that time period, I have been keeping him in plastic tubs with ventilation holes. He will be moving into a 24"lx 18"W x 24"T exo once it gets planted and stable.

I'd say the hardest thing with them is keeping up humidity, while keeping a clean environment. I would NOT use a critter keeper as they loose too much moisture though the very vented lid. Instead, I'd go with bins that you solder air holes into, or solder a larger hole and cover with mesh (like screen). With mine, I have to change out paper towels every time I change out food (3x a week) because they poop a lot more than cresteds, at least in my experience.

I used paper towels as bedding, with a piece of cork and small RBI hide in his baby setup. When he upgraded to a larger tub, I kept the setup the same, but with a larger hide, another piece of cork, and some foam pool noodles. In his largest tub now (about 14"x15"x14") He has 3 pieces of cork, his food and water bowls, and that's it.

Be aware that they do like small containers when little... My guy was in a tiny 6"x10"x8" box ans did very well. Each time I upgraded his tub size, he went off food for a couple weeks, even with the same furnishings moved.

For price range, I pad about $550 for mine and he is a GTx. I'd say around $450 is the lowest you can find ones with unknown lineage, but expect to pay at least what I did or more for an animal with known localities, etc. For pure line animals or animals with good color lineage, expect to pay ~$700 and up (from what I've seen). Cage aggression is a thing with many leachies and most will projectile-poop on you when picked up. Mine is not aggressive, but does the whistling and pooping every time held, despite gentle handling since we got him.

Gargoyles are another good option. I have 3. They get a little larger / heavier than cresteds. Aren't as fast-moving as adults, and look very neat. They tend to cost more, but you can get a pretty nice looking one for ~$250 or more. Same basic care as cresteds. Some people give theirs basking spots, but they seem to do fine with the same setup as a crested.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12