Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,811

0 members and 2,811 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

food size for retic

So i have a mainland retic that is doing very well, he eats like a champ and is growing like crazy. Currently he eats 6-8 large adult mice 20Grams each. I have been feeding him these because i accidentally ordered way to many when i bought them for him. I didn't realize that within two months he would go from barely being able to get down two to 6 or 8 barely leaving a mark. I think he's ready for some rats haha, so my question is should i get small or medium rats?
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Mainland Reticulated
    1.0 High lines Red Tail Boa

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    I would probably get a mix of small and mediums. Retics grow like crazy, especially if it's a Mainland. If they start outgrowing a smaller size you can feed multiple like you are doing just to use them up.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cchardwick For This Useful Post:

dylan815 (03-12-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    I would go straight to large rats if your retic can comfortably take 8 20-gram mice now. If you order f/t online just weigh them out and feed the smallest ones first.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

dylan815 (03-12-2018),jmcrook (03-06-2018)

Thanks
    thanks everyone! whats every ones favorite place to order mice/rats? also, where do yall like to order ginnea pigs and rabbits online?
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Mainland Reticulated

Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 667 Posts
    I have only used perfect prey for my first order and it was a great process and nice stuff.

Your guy eats 6-8 at once ?? Wow with no issue just back to back?

i ask because I have a baby mandarin rat snake and I’m trying to change up the feeding I think it needs more food or bigger food. On Friday I went with a large pinky nearly fuzzy but I think it was too big. He ate it but seemed to act different this weekend he was moving a lot more and seemed like he couldn’t get comfortable. I’m thinking maybe it was too big and digestion was an issue or he’s working up a large turd.

Either way i was suggested to go to multiple smaller smaller prey items since he’s a thin snake.

I’d love if you could share your experience and routine as to how you feed multiples because this would be new for me

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

Re: food size for retic

Quote Originally Posted by dylan815 View Post
    thanks everyone! whats every ones favorite place to order mice/rats? also, where do yall like to order ginnea pigs and rabbits online?
    Monster Feeders (Matt Martin) in MN would likely be your best bet since he's not too far from you.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,492 Times in 2,686 Posts

I go to Perfect Prey for all my rats. mice and chicks. I'm still looking for a good rabbit provider even though 2 large or jumbo rats are less expensive to feed than one rabbit. I just like to offer a varied diet to my critters. If your retic is eating 6-8 mice per feeding I'd get a mixture of medium and large rats. The medium rats at Perfect Prey are 90-150g each and the large rats are 180-279g each.

https://perfectprey.com/
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

I've bought from these places and been satisfied: Big Cheese, Perfect Prey, Laynes Labs

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    i ask because I have a baby mandarin rat snake and I’m trying to change up the feeding I think it needs more food or bigger food. On Friday I went with a large pinky nearly fuzzy but I think it was too big. He ate it but seemed to act different this weekend he was moving a lot more and seemed like he couldn’t get comfortable. I’m thinking maybe it was too big and digestion was an issue or he’s working up a large turd.

Either way i was suggested to go to multiple smaller smaller prey items since he’s a thin snake.
    Ratsnakes and colubrids do great with small multiple items. I feed my king 2-3 mouse hoppers sometimes. You can present all at once, give them the first one and then either just lay the others in there or go ahead and bump the body with them, most rat snakes will constrict multiple items at once (or use their body to press and hold the others against cage furniture). This is for frozen thawed of course, if live, you'd want to give one at a time.
    For the Horde!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    I have only used perfect prey for my first order and it was a great process and nice stuff.

Your guy eats 6-8 at once ?? Wow with no issue just back to back?

I’d love if you could share your experience and routine as to how you feed multiples because this would be new for me
    he's a pretty big eater, he kinda just swallows one and then is immediatly striking at me or anything that moves. he just takes them one at a time down like a champ!
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Mainland Reticulated

Thanks
    I *think* south florida feeders has rabbits. I use perfect prey and big cheese for rats / mice. Have ordered once from south florida (when they had ASFs) and was happy with the packaging.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast