Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,416

2 members and 1,414 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Hello guys! May I have some suggestions about humidity and heat of a Suriname boa?

Hello guys! I found there are not many care sheets for Suriname boa on the Internet. I've read all of them but still not sure what is the best temperature and humidity for them? Some articles said the humidity should be 90% and some said not lower than 60%. For the heat, would it be OK to keep the hot side around 91F and the cold side 80F? He's a two-month-old baby and I just bought this new tub for him. May I know would it be appropriate for him? And may I have some suggestions about the setup? I'm currently not sure how many holes I should drill...will it cause potential RI if I drill only a few holes and the ventilation will not be good? And would this tub be too shallow for him? Thank you so much!!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    I personally keep my suri at about 88F hot spot via flexwatt and the cage ambient temp is anywhere from 78-80F depending on the day.

For humidity, i keep it anywhere from 65-80%. Again it just depends whether i just watered her plants or it's getting close to time to water them. Using live plants in the cage will give a huge humidity boost plus my snakes seem to actually like the plants.

As for that tub, i would start off with a few holes in the middle to upper sides of the tub and then see how the humidity is after a night. If you need more, then drill a couple more. Better to drill too little than too much as you can always add more but covering the holes kind of sucks.

RI is going to come from too much bacteria or mold or fungus. Thats why you dont want a wet cage. There is a difference between a wet cage and relative humidity. I use aspen in all my cages and still maintain 65-80% air humidity with the live plants. Also too cold and too wet can create an RI just like too dry and too hot can create one too.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

alice40604345 (03-19-2018),RickyNY (03-07-2018)

Thanks

Re: Hello guys! May I have some suggestions about humidity and heat of a Suriname boa

Thank you so much!!! Sorry for the late reply...It seems there's no reply notification here so I forget my post lol!! Oh may I know what is the difference between a relative humidity and "wet" cage? I use many wet moss when my snake is shedding, would that be a problem of a wet cage? Thank you so much! Oh and may I know how do you keep the ambient temp? I only use heat mat but sometimes feel the ambient temp is too low.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    I personally keep my suri at about 88F hot spot via flexwatt and the cage ambient temp is anywhere from 78-80F depending on the day.

For humidity, i keep it anywhere from 65-80%. Again it just depends whether i just watered her plants or it's getting close to time to water them. Using live plants in the cage will give a huge humidity boost plus my snakes seem to actually like the plants.

As for that tub, i would start off with a few holes in the middle to upper sides of the tub and then see how the humidity is after a night. If you need more, then drill a couple more. Better to drill too little than too much as you can always add more but covering the holes kind of sucks.

RI is going to come from too much bacteria or mold or fungus. Thats why you dont want a wet cage. There is a difference between a wet cage and relative humidity. I use aspen in all my cages and still maintain 65-80% air humidity with the live plants. Also too cold and too wet can create an RI just like too dry and too hot can create one too.