Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,969

3 members and 2,966 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Good morning!

Thanks

Re: Good morning!

HELLO !!!!
    Not that I don't trust ya'all, but I called our reptile vet.

He says that now that her tank is all set up right, that we should let her sit for a while. No touching, little stress and little noise.
    He said we should try feeding her tonight or tomorrow and if she doesn't eat wait another 5 days. If she still hasn't eaten by then he would like to see her. That will be a month since she last ate. He said that's about as long as he would like to see her go. UNLESS she looks ill or is losing weight, then bring her in earlier.

Again, not that i don't trust all the WONDERFUL information i got on here, but we were stressing about her eating.

You guys / gals should all know now that you are all spot on with all the information you gave us!

Again a HUGE thank you to all of you, especially to dalski for being so patient with all the millions of questions i asked.

Just changing her light to a ceramic one has changed her attitude. She was all over her tank and didn't seem to want to just chill, but now she's in her hidey during the day and at night she's out on top of it just hanging out. She was doing that telescoping again last night. Laying on top of her hidey just stretching her neck looking like she was looking for a meal or checking things out from her throne! She seems a bit more mellow now that there is no light on at night (i really like this ceramic heat)

My next post will hopefully says she's eaten !!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Maybeka View Post
    HELLO !!!!

He says that now that her tank is all set up right, that we should let her sit for a while. No touching, little stress and little noise.
    He said we should try feeding her tonight or tomorrow and if she doesn't eat wait another 5 days. If she still hasn't eaten by then he would like to see her. That will be a month since she last ate. He said that's about as long as he would like to see her go. UNLESS she looks ill or is losing weight, then bring her in earlier.

Again, not that i don't trust all the WONDERFUL information i got on here, but we were stressing about her eating.

You guys / gals should all know now that you are all spot on with all the information you gave us!

Again a HUGE thank you to all of you, especially to dalski for being so patient with all the millions of questions i asked.

Just changing her light to a ceramic one has changed her attitude. She was all over her tank and didn't seem to want to just chill, but now she's in her hidey during the day and at night she's out on top of it just hanging out. She was doing that telescoping again last night. Laying on top of her hidey just stretching her neck looking like she was looking for a meal or checking things out from her throne! She seems a bit more mellow now that there is no light on at night (i really like this ceramic heat)

Haven't been following this thread but it you're gonna be feeding thawed frozen then feed in the evenings, dim light and read up on the hairdryer trick beforehand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

Yes i have heard of the hair dryer trick. Definitely going to try that.

And if i haven't mentioned it before, her name is Mia. (IF it turns out to be really a girl)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Maybeka For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (03-15-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    Good morning to u too!

RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maybeka View Post
    HELLO !!!!

Wish you all the luck on the next feeding attempt. Once she gets one down it's all a breeze from there. But it sure is stressful waiting for that first feed.
    0.1 Female Normal
    0.1 Lab mix

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I was having the same issue with my first ball. Where did you get your ball from ? I got mine from petco (HUGE MISTAKE) and they told me F/T pinkies, for over a month i couldnt get her to eat. She became super skinny and I was getting worried, I kept her i a 55 gallon tank with plenty of hides, foliage and the humidity and temp was easily kept up. So finally i spoke to a breeder and they told me to try live, ever since i moved to live she grabs it within seconds and chows down. Now she is a regular eater. my suggestion would be to try live, from what I found out balls are picky eater but once you find out what gets them going your golden. For mine it had to be live. So try live and see how your ball does.
    0.1 Pastel (Kaa)
    1.0 Het Desert Ghost

0.1 Super Pastel VPI Axanthic Enchi (Jasmin)

0.1 Black Pastel Mojave
    0.1 Calico Fire
    0.1 Yellow Belly
    0.1 Pinstripe
    0.1 Het Red Axanthic Het Desert Ghost
    1.0 Orange Dream Enchi Fire
    0.1 leatherback hypo Bearded Dragon
    1.0 Purple Motley Suntiger Citron Reticulated
    1.0 Gargoyle Gecko
    1.2 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
    0.0.1 White Tree Frog
    1.0 Green Anaconda
    0.1 Indonesian Frilled Dragon

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bmwood View Post
    I was having the same issue with my first ball. Where did you get your ball from ? I got mine from petco (HUGE MISTAKE) and they told me F/T pinkies, for over a month i couldnt get her to eat. She became super skinny and I was getting worried, I kept her i a 55 gallon tank with plenty of hides, foliage and the humidity and temp was easily kept up. So finally i spoke to a breeder and they told me to try live, ever since i moved to live she grabs it within seconds and chows down. Now she is a regular eater. my suggestion would be to try live, from what I found out balls are picky eater but once you find out what gets them going your golden. For mine it had to be live. So try live and see how your ball does.
    I do not recommend live unless you want to feed live for the life of the snake, or she still won’t eat after vet visit and everything else has been exhausted. Then she needs to eat and you might have to worry about switching her to F/T later.

Once BP’s are used to live it can be hard to switch them back to F/T.

There other variables that have been addressed that probably explain why she hasn’t eaten.

Namely, food size, how it was defrosted, constant changes to environment, temps, etc.

if it were me, I would stick with F/T if that is what you want to feed.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    I do not recommend live unless you want to feed live for the life of the snake, or she still won’t eat after vet visit and everything else has been exhausted. Then she needs to eat and you might have to worry about switching her to F/T later.

Once BP’s are used to live it can be hard to switch them back to F/T.

There other variables that have been addressed that probably explain why she hasn’t eaten.

Namely, food size, how it was defrosted, constant changes to environment, temps, etc.

if it were me, I would stick with F/T if that is what you want to feed.
    yeah i wanted to stick to F?T but we exhausted EVERY option we could from online research, to breeders, to the vet, she was borderline on her deathbed it looked like how skinny she was. After I told the breeder that she was eating live he said the breeder the pet store got her from was probably feeding her live.
    0.1 Pastel (Kaa)
    1.0 Het Desert Ghost

0.1 Super Pastel VPI Axanthic Enchi (Jasmin)

0.1 Black Pastel Mojave
    0.1 Calico Fire
    0.1 Yellow Belly
    0.1 Pinstripe
    0.1 Het Red Axanthic Het Desert Ghost
    1.0 Orange Dream Enchi Fire
    0.1 leatherback hypo Bearded Dragon
    1.0 Purple Motley Suntiger Citron Reticulated
    1.0 Gargoyle Gecko
    1.2 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
    0.0.1 White Tree Frog
    1.0 Green Anaconda
    0.1 Indonesian Frilled Dragon

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bmwood For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-15-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bmwood View Post
    yeah i wanted to stick to F?T but we exhausted EVERY option we could from online research, to breeders, to the vet, she was borderline on her deathbed it looked like how skinny she was. After I told the breeder that she was eating live he said the breeder the pet store got her from was probably feeding her live.
    Understood. Sometimes you have to feed live. I just don’t think the OP is there yet.

Thanks

Hi all.

She's still not eating. The last time she ate was on 02/24. We purchased her on 02/26. Tomorrow is a month since she's eaten and Monday is a month since we've had her.

Enclosure is warm side is 88 the cool side is 77 and humidity is 57. We have 2 hides, aspen earth a climbing branch and a water bowl.

She hides majority of the day but sometimes we will find her on top of her hide and sometimes balled up on the branch. Later on in the afternoon she will come out and start cruising the whole enclosure.

We have seen her drink water on several occasions so I don't think she's getting dehydrated.

But her not wanting to eat is starting to get a bit frustrating (and yes, we even tried the hairdryer trick).

We have never once seen her tongue flick out. Don't they do that when they know food is around? Starting to wonder if there's even a tongue in there!

We will put it in front of her and wiggle it and sometimes she will act like shes knows it's there and stare at it, then she will turn her head and leave. We will do this for a good while as to not give up on her and eventually she goes back in a hide.

Is a vet visit in order?

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast