Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,093

0 members and 3,093 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Good morning!

Thanks

Re: Good morning!

How does she/he look to anyone?

And the enclosure? Does my son need a smaller water dish?

Thanks !

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Maybeka View Post
    2 more pics.
    I think the water dish is maybe to big. there is a hide one the left and another one behind the branch that you can't really see in the pic.

To me, the snake looks fine. She will probably eat when ready and the food is prepared and offered properly (already discussed in this thread I believe).

That's a corner water bowl and is probably a little big, but that size might help with humidity in that enclosure. Totally up to you where to put it and what size. BP's rarely soak, so if humidity is ok without that big a water bowl, ok to go smaller and give her more room.

In general, I, and many others here, do not like the log hides. Even if they are plastic (more sanitary), the grooves and indents make it hard to keep clean. Also, they are not too private and have big opening.

You want something like this: http://www.reptilebasics.com/small-hide-box and here is the page for all the hides http://www.reptilebasics.com/hide-boxes. I have JUMBO's for my BCI female for when she grows into them, but a BP will almost definitely not need that.

I would get two identical, at least (there is a lot of room in that tank). I would also order some bigger sizes for when she gets bigger. They are cheap, and shipping costs will be saved that way.

If she is really a she, she will need up to a medium or large (and maybe extra large). I would get some mediums and larges for later and if you have to order extra larges, so be it, it will be a long time from now, if at all.

Remember, you want her to feel snug in the hide, and private. The hides I linked here have offset openings and are smooth plastic, so very secure and dark and easy to clean.

Regarding more than 2 hides. When she is big, she will only need two probably, in that size tank (one hot side and one cool side). However, when little, probably better to put 3-4 in there for her.

The branch will also be hard to keep clean. If you add more hides, it might not be needed anyway. Again, BP's can climb, but burrough in nature, and are not good climbers.

Also, while you are at it, I would get some F10SC for cleaning the enclosure and hides.

http://www.reptilebasics.com/F10SC-100ml

I hope this helps and feel free to ask for clarification or any other questions.

Thanks

Re:Hello again

She still has not eaten.

The feeding chart they gave us shows:

Jan 17th she ate a pinkie
    Jan 24th she ate a fuzzy
    Jan 31st she ate 2 pinkies
    The week of Feb 4th to 10th she ate nothing
    Feb 14th she ate a fuzzy
    Feb 24 she ate a fuzzy

(i do not know why they went back and forth between fuzzy and pinky)

My son got her on Feb 26th and she has not eaten anything at all.

We have defrosted it correctly but when he put it in front of her she doesn't seem to care. She will turn her head completely and go the other direction. We keep trying and wiggling it in front of her but she continues to turn her head and leave.

Is it time for us to worry? Is it time for a vet visit?
    Her not wanting to eat is a bit stressful (least for us anyway)

Thanks

Re: Hello again

She still has not eaten.

The feeding chart they gave us shows:

Jan 17th she ate a pinkie
    Jan 24th she ate a fuzzy
    Jan 31st she ate 2 pinkies
    The week of Feb 4th to 10th she ate nothing
    Feb 14th she ate a fuzzy
    Feb 24 she ate a fuzzy

(i do not know why they went back and forth between fuzzy and pinky)

My son got her on Feb 26th and she has not eaten anything at all.

We have defrosted it correctly but when he put it in front of her she doesn't seem to care. She will turn her head completely and go the other direction. We keep trying and wiggling it in front of her but she continues to turn her head and leave.

Is it time for us to worry? Is it time for a vet visit?
    Her not wanting to eat is a bit stressful (least for us anyway)
    You probably touched on this, but you are offering fuzzy rats, not mice, correct?

If mice, they would be too small for her and she might refuse.

Assuming all the husbandry (as we have discussed) is good and you are not handling her, and just letting her settle in, I wouldn't worry yet.

Did you get the better/more hides? Did you get the temps under control and install a UTH?

If yes to all the above, and offering appropriate size food items (and defrosting and warming properly), I would just give her a little longer to settle in.

Let her be and offer no more than once a week. She will eat when ready.

If she doesn't eat the next two times, I would consider a vet visit, but not until then.

I might have asked, but do you know her weight? The heavier she is, the longer she can go without food.

Thanks

Ummm..... I think he's buying fuzzy mice because when he went to purchase them, they said rats were not for her size that she should eat fuzzy mice. (I will have him change that)

He is not handling her at all, he is letting her do her own thing and not even touching her.

No UTH as the enclosure is still on the floor. The stand he is building is not done yet but will be done in a matter of days.

He did get more (and better) hides.

The temps all seem to be under control and staying where they should be and are being controlled by a thermostat.

I heard a hiding ball python is a happy ball python. Is this true? Last night she was hanging out (all balled up) on the branch that's in there, not hiding. Then she went about doing her own thing all around the enclosure.

We have seen her drink though, so i guess that's a good thing.

I think maybe we are stressing more than we should. I do have a very good reptile vet and don't have a problem in taking her in if need be.

They could not tell us how old she was but she is about 18 inches long. Can you tell age by length?
    I will see about weighing her tonight.

Thanks

Ummm..... I think he's buying fuzzy mice because when he went to purchase them, they said rats were not for her size that she should eat fuzzy mice. (I will have him change that)

He is not handling her at all, he is letting her do her own thing and not even touching her.

No UTH as the enclosure is still on the floor. The stand he is building is not done yet but will be done in a matter of days.

He did get more (and better) hides.

The temps all seem to be under control and staying where they should be and are being controlled by a thermostat.

I heard a hiding ball python is a happy ball python. Is this true? Last night she was hanging out (all balled up) on the branch that's in there, not hiding. Then she went about doing her own thing all around the enclosure.

We have seen her drink though, so i guess that's a good thing.

I think maybe we are stressing more than we should. I do have a very good reptile vet and don't have a problem in taking her in if need be.

They could not tell us how old she was but she is about 18 inches long. Can you tell age by length?
    I will see about weighing her tonight.
    No, hard to tell age by length, or weight for that matter.

They all vary greatly.

I agree that you are more stressed than she is. If she's cruising and doing her thing, that's good. Yes, many BP's hide a lot, but she's still getting her bearings.

I think I sent you this, but if not, here's the BP feeding chart. Once you get a weight, you will know for sure, but fuzzy or pinky mice are definitely too small.

Thanks

I guess the constant on / off of the thermostat popped the red heat bulb. It just won't come on. It's brand new also.
    Going to stop on my way home and get a ceramic heat emitter this time. From what i've heard and read those are supposed to be better anyway.

Can i just screw it into the existing dome i have or do i need a special one?

Thanks

I guess the constant on / off of the thermostat popped the red heat bulb. It just won't come on. It's brand new also.
    Going to stop on my way home and get a ceramic heat emitter this time. From what i've heard and read those are supposed to be better anyway.

Can i just screw it into the existing dome i have or do i need a special one?
    Yeah, go CHE all the way. They do better with on/off and the BP will be happier without the light from even the red bulb. Red bulbs still give off light, and it can seem bright to a BP, who likes dark.

They screw in the same as the red bulb. Just make sure you get the same wattage or close and that the light fixture can handle that wattage (if it's more). You may also need to check temps again and possibly adjust your thermostat (especially if it's a different wattage). Also, most CHE's send off heat in a different way/pattern than a red bulb. The CHE is usually flat at the end and not round like a bulb. So, definitely check both air temps at the probe(s) for the thermostat and also ground temps with your heat gun.

Thanks

We just weighed her. She is 104 grams on a postal scale.

Thanks

We just weighed her. She is 104 grams on a postal scale.
    Ok, sounds good. The tank should be dialed in.

Totally leave her alone now - zero handling, moving tank, movement around tank (as much as possible), and stable light cycles, until she eats at least 2X for you. After she eats, you can take her out briefly to clean, change water, etc.

You should be feeding one rat fuzzy (10-15G or so) or one small mouse (about the same weight) every 7 days, depending on what she was eating before. If she ate mice before, stick with that for a few meals at least until you try to switch her to rats. If she ate rats, then feed a rat fuzzy.

At that weight, you should get her eating sooner than later. However, do not offer too soon - let her settle for another 3-5 days. Also, if she refuses, continue leaving her alone and do not offer again for at least 5 days, maybe even wait 7.

If she doesn't eat in the next 2 weeks, weigh again and see how much weight she has lost. Then evaluate whether or not you want to take her to a vet. I doubt you will need to, but cannot know for sure.

This is just my two cents, and please, other users, feel free to chime in.

My thought is that the last couple of weeks there have been many adjustments to the enclosure, etc. She needs to settle and start eating. That's the #1 priority and the more comfortable and left alone to settle she feels, I believe the more likely that is to happen.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast