Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,027

2 members and 1,025 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Good morning!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Good morning!

Quote Originally Posted by Maybeka View Post
    it's set at 88.

He put the probe right next to her hide down low by the bedding.
    Although right now (its 7 pm here) she is out and on the cool side.
    Keep checking often with the temp gun until stable, and then regularly after that.

I wouldn't put the probe too low to the ground (she might poop or pee on it, etc. giving you a false reading). You can always adjust as needed. For example, the thermostat might read 88F with the probe halfway down the tank, but it's actually 92F on the ground.

You can slowly adjust up or down once the probe(s) is in a permanent spot.

It may take her a while to begin thermoregulating properly once the temps are where they should be.

She may still think it's too hot on the hot side and be comfortable on the cool side. Additionally, if cool side temps are proper (80F or so), she can comfortably stay there and may not go to the hot side unless she needs to (mostly to digest).

Thanks

Is it normal for her to be on the cool side? When the red heat lamp goes off its dark (not for long) ...no day lamp on so I would think she would come out and move around but she is just curled up under the branch.

Thanks

We truly do appreciate all of your help.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maybeka For This Useful Post:

Booper (03-09-2018),dakski (03-07-2018)

Thanks

Is it normal for her to be on the cool side? When the red heat lamp goes off its dark (not for long) ...no day lamp on so I would think she would come out and move around but she is just curled up under the branch.
    Yes, fine to be on cool side if proper temps. See above post.

My BP usually stays on the cool side (80-82F) or near the warm side (84-85F) unless digesting. Occasionally, she goes to the hot side (88-89F), but not too often, and more after eating.

I missed the red heat lamp. I actually learned recently that red lights are like daylight to snakes - still bright. Marketing ploy I guess. I would switch to a Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE) of the same wattage, if this wattage is working.

Room light during the day is fine and darkness at night is what they prefer and feel more comfortable in.

Thanks

Ok well never mind that... Just went in to check and she's out and about..not curled up on the cool side anymore.. She had her head in the water dish when I went in. Now She's cruising.

Ya know...I never liked snakes but just in a week this little thing has certainly grabbed my heartstrings.

Thanks

We truly do appreciate all of your help.
    Our pleasure. Thank you for listening and doing what's best for the animal. Both the snake, and you and your son, will have a much better experience.

Many people either do not believe our experience/knowledge, do not want to do the work or spend the money, think they know better, or just like to argue .

Keep up the good work and we will help as much as we can.

Thanks

Ok well never mind that... Just went in to check and she's out and about..not curled up on the cool side anymore.. She had her head in the water dish when I went in. Now She's cruising.

Ya know...I never liked snakes but just in a week this little thing has certainly grabbed my heartstrings.
    Nice!

Yeah, some people do not get it, but reptiles can be family too. I am glad you are coming around.

It can be very gratifying to create and maintain a proper environment for them and see them thrive. Also (speaking as a past fish keeper and breeder), unlike some display animals, like fish, they can be pretty interactive. Once she settles in and eats for you a few times, you can start handling her more. Once you start interacting, she will really tug on that heart.

It's really fun to watch them grow and mature too. Behira (my BCI) is my only juvenile/growing animal. All my other babies are all grown up! That's fine though. Many, many, years to enjoy them as adults too. However, I will always reminisce about when they were so tiny!

Thanks

We are not new to critters that's for sure. My sons 10th bday present was 2 baby sulcata tortoises. That's what he wanted. They are now both 13 yrs old an over 100 lbs each.
    Another bday gift he wanted was his bearded dragon. We used to call her his first girlfriend. Got her as a baby and she grew into a beautiful orange color with a wonderful personality.

We have horses and donkeys (I personally have 43 yrs of horse ownership) I Personally owned my first 2 horses for 31 yrs before I has to let them go due to old age related issues.

Plus we have 3 dogs 10 lbs.. 95 lbs ... And a 201 lb mastiff.

So I can say if it comes into my home its taken care of and stays for life!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maybeka For This Useful Post:

Booper (03-09-2018),dadofsix (03-08-2018),dakski (03-08-2018)

Thanks

Some new pictures. Hope this works. She is out and about quite often now, but she still has not eaten since 02/24 (2 days prior to us getting her).
    My son has been leaving her alone and going to try to feed her again tomorrow. I will have another picture and a pic of her tank in a few min.

Thanks

2 more pics.
    I think the water dish is maybe to big. there is a hide one the left and another one behind the branch that you can't really see in the pic.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast