Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,780

3 members and 2,777 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull

Thread: My New Chahoua

Thanks

My New Chahoua

This is all Deborah’s fault! After seeing the thread on hers a while back, on Friday I looked up Chahoua geckos, and was reading up on them and Leachies. Saturday my husband and I went to the local expo, and I got to hold a leachie, and admire several leachies and chahouas (which I hadn’t expected to see there), and my husband was charmed by them, too.

When I got home I ordered one:

The real beasties are out of my price range for now, and there really isn’t a lot of room for more critters in the house, plus the whole thing of being single 5-6 days/week. But this one I just have to get a frame for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Prognathodon; 03-04-2018 at 09:26 PM.
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prognathodon For This Useful Post:

John1982 (03-05-2018),MD_Pythons (03-04-2018)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Somehow I always get blamed for something

That's a great print Nadilyn is very talented.

Hopefully someday you can get the real thing, yes they are pricey but really cool critters.
    Deborah Stewart

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

John1982 (03-05-2018)

Thanks
    I finally caved and got a leachie last year... Little guy has grown from 12 grams to 164. Both my husband and I LOVE him and we might just have to get him a lady friend lol. I like chahouas, but the starting price range on nice looking chewies (at least the types I'd want) were a little higher than what I paid for my leachie, so I went leachie this time. So far, I enjoy him far more than my crested and even my gargoyle geckos. Although, it must be said that the projectile defensive pooping is no fun lol. I managed to get my leachie from a local GA breeder (I think she's moving out of state soon :/ ) and she was great doing business with. She breeds chewies too, so if you'd like a recommendation, I can PM her info to you.

Great looking print btw!
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Thanks

Re: My New Chahoua

A real chewie or a leachie is on my “someday” list. I was surprised how soft and velvety the leachie was, and the eyes!

Any good book recommendations for these guys? I read history and other non-fiction bricks for fun, so it takes a lot to intimidate me; and I have good luck with ABE.com when hunting for out-of-print goodies.

0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Prognathodon View Post
    A real chewie or a leachie is on my “someday” list. I was surprised how soft and velvety the leachie was, and the eyes!

Any good book recommendations for these guys? I read history and other non-fiction bricks for fun, so it takes a lot to intimidate me; and I have good luck with ABE.com when hunting for out-of-print goodies.

Yeah, we absolutely love our leachie. The only downsides are the projectile pooing and possible cage / breeding aggression. Mine doesn't show any cage aggression (huffs, whistles, etc. but no biting yet). I know of some people that have very cage aggresive ones though. Some chewies can be defensive of eggs too, but in general aren't as bitey. My husband nick-named ours "the velvet log" lol. The name fits.

I have this one. It covers all rhac species. If you can find a copy at a good price, I'd jump on it. Pics are good too. Keep in mind the age on the book though, it is a few years out-of-date and as such, doesn't have all the crested morphs and I believe they've changed the naming on the leachie locales now.

I've heard this one is very good, but I haven't purchased a copy yet. It is just about leachies.

Leapin Leachies website is a wealth of info on locales and care too. The author of the two books above owns it and sells both leachies and chewies.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Thanks

I’d found the first book, best price I’ve found is $150-ish, up to $300 or more - looks like it’s popular enough they could do a 2nd edition, or at least another printing.

I hadn’t seen the second one, thank you!

I’ve been drooling all over my tablet at the Leapin’ Leachies website.

The killer is that I’ll be in Tinley Park at the convention center Wednesday and Thursday next week! So close, and yet so far to all the wonderful critters at the NARBC...