Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,714

1 members and 2,713 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts

Re: Hognoses compared to Ball Pythons?

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    It actually is because when you breed you will always have a percentage that will need to be getting started on scented scented (it would be the step before having to assist which is very tricky with a 5 grams animal)

The key is to buy an well established animal sadly many breeders are in a rush to move animals soon as they hatch with hogs I consider my animals truly switched and established once they have ate 10 F/T unscented pink, seems like lot but buying an animal that ate 2 or 3 unscented or 2 or 3 F/T could mean trouble for a new buyer (scenting can be tricky and finding F/T pinkies close to impossible)

That is what I have heard and read, never experienced it for myself.

The worse I have seen it was this http://www.ssnakess.com/forums/heter...bate-over.html, sadly the picture are no longer up but the swelling was all the way up to the elbow, most other cases that I have seen was swelling of the finger and hand.

So long it's about 40% you are good, using a substrate that is dry coco coir (like reptile prime) or aspen will help so will having a small water dish (versus big one) and after that it's air flow. I live in the south so humidity during the summer is high and my animal do just fine.

Yes there are reds those are line bred trait you have Red, Extreme Red and Purple Line

After that you have

Some recessive like

Albino
    Axanthic
    Pink Pastel
    Toffee
    Lavender.................

Co-Dom

Conda
    Artic......

Here are a few sources http://www.extremehogs.com/Morphs.html , https://www.facebook.com/hognosemorphs/?hc_location=ufi and a great book https://www.amazon.com/Designer-Morp.../dp/B008B8DGHM
    Thanks for your input Deborah!

I'm hoping from what I read in that thread and Zinc's picture that level of swelling and reaction is considered rare. The thread is at least reassuring to me that the bite was from a feeding response and not a defensive one. So I'm hoping as long as I'm mindful about what foods I've been touching that it will be a non-issue. Have to see how the husband feels about this though :p

As for morphs, I'm definitely LOVING the red and purple lines! Deborah if you by chance breed those morphs I might get hoggie from you!
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

Stewart_Reptiles (03-05-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Hognoses compared to Ball Pythons?

Quote Originally Posted by MissterDog View Post
    Thanks for sharing Zinc! I prefer to be well aware of the bad and ugly as well as the good. Do you know how long they were in the hospital for and what treatment they got? How long was it before the swelling went down or until a full recovery was considered? Do you know if the bite was from a feeding response?

They do all seem to be feeding responses...

This is all I could find sorry ..

" I have kept and bred western Hognoses, Mexican Hognoses, and barons racers. I have also kept mangroves and false water cobras.
    I had a VERY nasty bite from a western hognose resulting in 7 hours in hospital with various tubes in my arms"

Also this more detailed account .

My hubby got bitten by a Western Hoggy a few years ago, The bite was at 7.30 am he felt little pain, he went to work, by lunch time his hand had swollen up 3 times normal size,and he couldn't bend his fingers due to swelling,At work he was warring fingerless gloves/mits (which contained the swelling , when he returned home from work at 4.30pm he took off the gloves/mits...and the swelling shot up his arm stopping for a while at his elbow....at this point he went to hospital.The swelling lasted from Monday to Thursday with no after affects "

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 03-05-2018 at 04:34 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (03-05-2018)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

I think the level of swelling and the reaction one may have will depends on a few things, 1# how long the hog got to chew on the person, remember they are rear fanged venomous and this is a poor delivery system.

2# the person itself, children, elderly and people with weak human system and or allergy history may be more likely to have issues.
    Again they are not prone to bite I useally walk by a snake and it wants to bite me, with hognose I never had that issue (7 years and no bite, wish I could say the same with the other species I work with).

I guess one day if I get bit I will have to document it then again there might not be any reaction at all, on the other end my husband is prohibited for handling hognose he has an history of severe allergic reaction to I really do not want to find out what would happen in case one decided to bite him.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 03-05-2018 at 04:56 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (03-05-2018)

Registered User CoinOperatedGirl's Avatar
    Thanks

As someone who is allergic to multiple things, I recommend having benedryl on hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CoinOperatedGirl For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (03-06-2018)

Thanks

I’ve been gnawed on by a derpy hoggie that thought my finger was another mouse. She even tried to drag me away! My reaction was very much like that to a sting from a honeybee (which we used to keep, so I got a couple-few every year) - minor swelling and itching. IIRC I didn’t bother looking for Benadryl.

I think considering how a person reacts to stingy-things is probably a reasonable gauge for estimating possible reaction to hoggie venom.

0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Prognathodon For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (03-06-2018),Jus1More (03-06-2018),MissterDog (03-06-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CoinOperatedGirl View Post
    As someone who is allergic to multiple things, I recommend having benedryl on hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Prognathodon View Post
    I’ve been gnawed on by a derpy hoggie that thought my finger was another mouse. She even tried to drag me away! My reaction was very much like that to a sting from a honeybee (which we used to keep, so I got a couple-few every year) - minor swelling and itching. IIRC I didn’t bother looking for Benadryl.

I think considering how a person reacts to stingy-things is probably a reasonable gauge for estimating possible reaction to hoggie venom.

Thankfully I have plenty of benedryl and allergy meds on hand! I also have a several allergies, only two being dangerous which are food related. Not sure if the egg and shellfish allergies may be an indication of how I'd react to a hoggie bite, but I'm assuming they are totally separate things. I seem to recall my reaction to bee stings being very mild and just annoying, so I'm hoping that's a good sign lol

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts
    Just thought you'd find this latest " Hoggie bite " interesting..

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...-bad-what.html
    Last edited by Zincubus; 05-02-2018 at 08:16 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (05-02-2018)

Thanks
    Never been bit by my hoggie, but I had a mangrove snake who nailed me once, my hand blew up and the bite site turned black and blue. Also felt a burning sensation up my arm and numbness in my lips and tongue. All in all, a fun couple of days.

Glad hognose don't bite defensively the way mangroves do.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Alter-Echo For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (05-02-2018)

Thanks
    So I’m still thinking about this lol. I still have another 3-4 years to decide if I’d still like a hognose, but I’m unsure how I feel about their venom. I find myself swinging between “It will be fine” to “no thanks” on a frequent basis.

I’m not actively worried about being bitten and I highly doubt I will, but I feel like I should at least have a plan of attack in case is somehow DOES happen. I have no idea what my reaction or my husband’s would be if I did get bit, and my only worry is if it does get bad enough to warrant a hospital visits like the stories I’ve been reading.

Fellow hognose owners, what do you advise for someone who does get bit? Do you think I personally should get a hognose? As someone who has a history of allergies? I have two food based allergies (shellfish and eggs)that are considered dangerous that I have an epipen for. My symptoms had sometimes lead to swelling and closing of my throat so I’m not sure if that’s an indication of how I’d react to a bite.

p.s @Deborah I’m still looking at you for red and purple line morphs :p
    Last edited by MissterDog; 05-19-2018 at 08:40 PM.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's really a tough call I have suffered allergy in the past, mainly pollen and pet dander, seems to be under control and has not bother me for years, now when it comes to be and yellow jacket stings it seems like it never had any effect on me even when stung multiple time in the same area at once.

You can't really ever no how you will react until it actually happens, because you have certain allergies does not mean you would have a reaction and vice versa.

I have owned hognose since 2011 never once got bit and I tend to be a bit magnet does not mean it will never happen but I guess I am willing to take the risk (small risk even when it comes to reactions)

Now if you want something small colorful and with a calm disposition without the risk (granted not as cute) you may want to look into sand boas, there are some very nice mutation, stripes, snow, albino, axanthic, paint etc
    Deborah Stewart

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (05-19-2018)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast