Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,724

2 members and 2,722 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Registered User William Snakespeare's Avatar
    Thanks

Anyone have Brazillian rainbow boas?

Hi everyone, on a scale of 1 to ten, how hard is it to keep brazillian rainbow boas?

If I do get one it will be an adult male, 1.8m. It will live in a plastic tub with peat moss sprayed down everyday.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Re: Anyone have Brazillian rainbow boas?

I found them very easy ... Only the humidity issue to be concerned about really .
    I chose to use a large EXO Terra glass viv/tank and a substrate mix of Eco- earth and Orchid bark and then a layer of well watered , lush , living moss on the surface.

I had two identical set ups and both BRBs behaved the same way in that they both spent the day UNDER the layer of moss and spent some of the evening roaming around and climbing in the branches ..

I'd heard that only hatchlings under 12 months NEEDED high humidity but that never made a lot of sense to my mind given their natural habitat is described as tropical and subtropical forests , conditions described as hot and wet .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    Neonates (not hatchlings, boas are live-bearers) do need 90% or higher humidity. In the wild they burrow under moist ground or leaf litter to hide during the day, then they hunt at night.

BRB's are easy to keep if they are set up correctly. The problem comes when people try to keep them in tanks like corn and king snakes.

I run mine at 86*F basking spot, 75-77*F for the rest of the enclosure. They will put as much or as little of themselves on the heat as they need to digest. It is possible to run them too cool and kill them.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Neonates (not hatchlings, boas are live-bearers) do need 90% or higher humidity. In the wild they burrow under moist ground or leaf litter to hide during the day, then they hunt at night.

BRB's are easy to keep if they are set up correctly. The problem comes when people try to keep them in tanks like corn and king snakes.

I run mine at 86*F basking spot, 75-77*F for the rest of the enclosure. They will put as much or as little of themselves on the heat as they need to digest. It is possible to run them too cool and kill them.
    Any ideas why so many people suddenly change to keeping them in drier conditions after 12 months ... treating them like other non-rain forest species ??

Never really thought about hatchlings coming from eggs

I know Boas are live bearers but I've always called any very young snakes 'hatchlings'

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Any ideas why so many people suddenly change to keeping them in drier conditions after 12 months ... treating them like other non-rain forest species ??
    Ignorance, maybe?

I have a WC import male. If I don't run him at 80% or more he has really bad sheds.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    I used to have one. Got him from Jeff Clark (at his home).

Just like its been said, just set them up correctly and they are quite easy !! Very pretty, too. I got to see one give birth at Jeff's house, VERY cool (and messy..)
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    I found them very easy ... Only the humidity issue to be concerned about really .
    I chose to use a large EXO Terra glass viv/tank and a substrate mix of Eco- earth and Orchid bark and then a layer of well watered , lush , living moss on the surface.

I had two identical set ups and both BRBs behaved the same way in that they both spent the day UNDER the layer of moss and spent some of the evening roaming around and climbing in the branches ..

I'd heard that only hatchlings under 12 months NEEDED high humidity but that never made a lot of sense to my mind given their natural habitat is described as tropical and subtropical forests , conditions described as hot and wet .

Could I have a big tub within the actual tub which has the peat moss. Outside that hide, there will be a dry hide and water bowl. The humid hide(big tub) will be sprayed every day.

I heard that adults only need 70% humidity.

Thanks

Any proud owners of their brazillian rainbow boas? Any pics?

Thanks
    I own one female. She's about 5' now, but still growing. I'd keep the whole enclosure pretty humid. I keep mine on prococo (coconut chunks). I'd also suggest providing a water bowl big enough for the BRB to soak in. Mine will regularly soak, even with humidity around 75%...It is how I know humidity has dropped some and I need to re-mist or moisten the substrate.

Very secluded during the day, active at night. Good feeding response. Some can be hard to tame down (I've been told) but mine has never given me any problems.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS