Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,626

3 members and 3,623 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,537
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Where is your temperature probe for the heat mat? From what it looks like to me the hot side probe is on the side, do you have one under the substrate where the heat mat actually is? I'm a bit worried you're not measuring the glass over the heat mat, which if you don't have a thermostat (You can get starter ones like JumpStart until you can afford a better one) could be a lot hotter than you think. Correct me if I'm wrong!

On the topic of the half-log hide, I bought one for my first beep as well. I didn't have a problem, but one side was blocked up. Also I can't tell if you have paper on the sides of the tank? That will help your Beep feel more secure (which as he's eating, dosen't seem like a problem to me!)
    1.1 Humans (Dom & Cait)
    0.1 Normal Ball (Wanda 'Booper') 0.1 Pastel Ball (Peaches)
    1.0 Spider Ball (Cinnamon) 1.0 Caramel Ball (Mars Bar) 1.0 Butter Sucker (Orion)
    0.1 Leopard Gecko (Hecate)
    0.3 Cats (Loki, Meg and Maisy)
    0.0.2 Goldfish (Sushi and Spot)
    0.2 Chickens (Lottie and Tiffany)

Thanks

Re: My current set-up for Monty!

Quote Originally Posted by Caali View Post
    Not only are these logs not as smooth as they seem (they often have splinters)

You also don't want your snake to get a splinter stuck in their skin.

Theoretically speaking....doesn't the entire bed of substrate have splinters as well? Because it's....you know....wood?
    Last edited by KevinK; 03-05-2018 at 03:25 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KevinK For This Useful Post:

Booper (03-05-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 667 Posts
    What size is the enclosure ?

Thanks
    Check out my post two threads back for help on your humidity.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    Theoretically speaking....doesn't the entire bed of substrate have splinters as well? Because it's....you know....wood?
    Yes, yes that should be the case but to be honest I never thought about that. I'm kind of an idiot
    But in the substrate the splinters can least move a bit when the snake moves. The logs hides are not that flexible​.
    Male Ball Python (Bumblebee het 100% Clown) - Friedrich
    Female Cat (unknown heritage, was an orphaned kitten) - Shirley

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnieskys View Post
    Wait what? No thermostat? How is you uth not touching the glass? I'm confused.
    It’s not like an adhesive mat that sticks to the glass.. I have one of those and used it once and realized I needed a thermostat after it got stupid hot.

It’s like a sheet of plastic that just slides under the tank, so it’s not in direct contact. It also doesn’t get nearly as hot as an unregulated heat mat. It’s a good compromise, he likes it and doesn’t get burned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Booper View Post
    Where is your temperature probe for the heat mat? From what it looks like to me the hot side probe is on the side, do you have one under the substrate where the heat mat actually is? I'm a bit worried you're not measuring the glass over the heat mat, which if you don't have a thermostat (You can get starter ones like JumpStart until you can afford a better one) could be a lot hotter than you think. Correct me if I'm wrong!

On the topic of the half-log hide, I bought one for my first beep as well. I didn't have a problem, but one side was blocked up. Also I can't tell if you have paper on the sides of the tank? That will help your Beep feel more secure (which as he's eating, dosen't seem like a problem to me!)
    You can’t see it well but it’s up against the glass, so there’s only one way in or out. However I like that paper idea so it’s more secure.

Do you know a site or a certain store to find better hides? He’s growing pretty fast and I’ll need better hides overall. Any suggestions will help, thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Caali View Post
    Yes, yes that should be the case but to be honest I never thought about that. I'm kind of an idiot
    But in the substrate the splinters can least move a bit when the snake moves. The logs hides are not that flexible​.
    No worries lol. I have used log hides for 17 years without a problem, I would make plain black plastic hides my first choice like you said but I just don't like telling people to go out and purchase new equiptment when what they have will work without problems I have no doubts you have good intentions though.

Thanks

If it has not been said yet - make sure that NOTHING is touching the heat lamps - huge fire risk. Looks like there is some material wedged on it. Depending on the type of bulb it can get over 400*F (paper combusts as 451*F)
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M.C.757 View Post
    Do you know a site or a certain store to find better hides? He’s growing pretty fast and I’ll need better hides overall.
    I like the look of the Exoterra ones! I find the medium ones work best for 150g-700g and then you can upgrade to a large size. They are a bit pricey though. I also use plain plastic black ones I got from an eBay shop.
    1.1 Humans (Dom & Cait)
    0.1 Normal Ball (Wanda 'Booper') 0.1 Pastel Ball (Peaches)
    1.0 Spider Ball (Cinnamon) 1.0 Caramel Ball (Mars Bar) 1.0 Butter Sucker (Orion)
    0.1 Leopard Gecko (Hecate)
    0.3 Cats (Loki, Meg and Maisy)
    0.0.2 Goldfish (Sushi and Spot)
    0.2 Chickens (Lottie and Tiffany)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Booper For This Useful Post:

M.C.757 (03-07-2018)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast