Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,106

2 members and 3,104 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Snake/Reptile Room

Hi everyone, I am new here, so not sure if this is the proper place to post but let's see. In my house, I have very limited room, but my garage (while not empty), has a lot of extra space. So I was wondering if using something along the lines of a grow tent (as I have seen it done) would work well, and what your opinions on it are.

Thanks

Re: Snake/Reptile Room

It would have to be a pretty massive grow tent....and capable of consistently sustaining proper temperatures and humidity....and grow tents are not insulated so I don't actually think it's possible. Additionally, garages are not sealed to begin with so regardless of the tent you're going to have some crazy fluctuations in humidity whenever it rains for example.

Keep in mind that whenever you unzip the door you lose all of your heat and all of your humidity, so I'm inclined to say that I wouldn't do it. Make some space inside.
    Last edited by KevinK; 03-01-2018 at 05:18 PM.

Thanks
    I'd agree about the whole insulation issue...also ventilation might be an issue as well. A lot might depend on your location and weather (temps, humidity). I've only seen one person online using a grow-tent-in-garage setup and I *think* they are located in a warmer climate. I can't remember exactly where though.

If you have a fixed area in the garage that could be used permanently, maybe consider boxing it in (constructing walls / door) and insulating it. That would be cheaper than adding new square footage, but still pretty pricey unless you are a contractor or know someone. I've seen several people do that, but all of them were doing the work themselves.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by artgecko View Post
    I'd agree about the whole insulation issue...also ventilation might be an issue as well. A lot might depend on your location and weather (temps, humidity). I've only seen one person online using a grow-tent-in-garage setup and I *think* they are located in a warmer climate. I can't remember exactly where though.

If you have a fixed area in the garage that could be used permanently, maybe consider boxing it in (constructing walls / door) and insulating it. That would be cheaper than adding new square footage, but still pretty pricey unless you are a contractor or know someone. I've seen several people do that, but all of them were doing the work themselves.
    I do have a set area, and I do have several contractor friends, so that would probably be the best route for me to go.

Thanks
    Always Evolving Pythons uses one but I do believe they are in Southern California, sorry can not be more helpful, good luck and best wishes always
    Domestic Short Hair - Miss Becky
    Russian Blue - Church
    Miniature Poodle - Pierre LaPoodlePants
    Banana BP - Yuri Katsuki

Thanks
    Yep, Miguel from AEP has one. Here's a link to his youtube channel. You can see it in some of his videos. Maybe you can drop a comment and ask him about it?
    ~ Ball Pythons - Rosy Boas - - Western Hognose Snakes - Mexican Black Kingsnakes - Corn Snakes ~

Check me out on iHerp, Instagram, & visit my store!

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Honestly, if you have contractor friends, go that route. Metal studs, insulation a few shhets of drywall and a quick drop ceiling would only take a day. You can do it fairly inexpensively too.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

BargainBoas (03-02-2018),c0r3yr0s3 (03-02-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BargainBoas View Post
    I do have a set area, and I do have several contractor friends, so that would probably be the best route for me to go.
    Then that might be an excellent option for you. I'd do a search here for reptile room, or room builds and see what others have done in the past. I *think* OWAL had a thread showing a progression on a build he was doing, but I can't remember if it was a reptile or rodent room.

Two big considerations would be electrical... You'd probably want that "room" on its own breaker and to have a very good power supply available and a lot of outlets in different places. Also, plumbing... It is most convenient to have a large wash sink (utility sink) to clean tubs in. If that won't work in the space you have for the room, you might want to consider having one in the garage right outside the room itself.

Good luck with your project!
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

BargainBoas (03-02-2018),Craiga 01453 (03-02-2018)