Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 496

1 members and 495 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Cat adoption denied for having a Ball Python after taking home the cat. Help!

Zina10 makes a good point. The rescue does get a lot of exposure being hosted by Petsmart and would not want to lose it. Depending on the size of your city there would be several other rescue animal adoption agencies that would gladly take their spot. Maybe Petsmart could assist you with some leverage against this particular rescue's mistake. Ask what is the Petsmart store mangers name and to speak specifically with the store manager. Not another manager on duty. If they're not available ask what their work schedule is for the week. They would most likely be available during the week mainly mornings and once or twice during the evenings. Craigafrechette your opinion of guilty by association, is correct, but Petsmart is not attempting to retrieve OP's cat. OP has enough on their plate and shouldn't waste their energy worrying about a non threat.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Cat adoption denied for having a Ball Python after taking home the cat. Help!

I feel for you man. Cats aren't my thing but I can imagine how I'd feel if the same happened to me with an animal I had taken home.

Call me cynical but I don't trust anyone. No one in a position to negatively affect my life knows that I have a Burm and they never will.
    0.1 CB17 Pearl Burmese Python - Kaiju

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Valyrian For This Useful Post:

Jakethesnake69 (10-15-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    any updates?
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (03-05-2018),Timelugia (03-06-2018),tttaylorrr (03-05-2018)

Thanks

Thank you all! So as I last mentioned, they decided to "work with us" (nonsense because we rightfully adopted the cat....) and come to the house to see that all was safe and well for the kitten. I was in contact with a board member of the agency (the lady that said they needed to come get the cat 2 days after we adopted him), and two foster moms of the cat. The first foster mom nearly kept the kitten, but couldn't because of her own living situation, so she had a very unhealthy attachment to him and where he was put. The second foster mom was more reasonable and willing to hear all sides of the story. She admitted at first she was shocked he had gone to a home with snakes, but then started doing her researching by calling herpetologists from a nearby zoo and other individuals familiar with ball pythons. We allowed her to come in, see the house, I put my oldest/largest boy on her shoulders after he seemed receptive to her, and it was pretty much over after that. She saw no problem with how my snakes were enclosed and didn't feel like the kitten would be threatened (or really the other way around), and confirmed we were good to go and to enjoy a long happy, life with our new love.

Had they fought us more....I would have gone down with a fight. It wasn't fair on our end to try and revoke our rights to this pet after we signed a contract, paid $100 for him, and brought him home to start bonding. I received a ludicrous email from foster mom #1 that was cc'd to several others with a link to a youtube video of a ball python "eating a rat the size of a small cat". She was trying to fear monger the board members and all other parties involved with the bs email, so in my response I called her out (in a very nice way) that she was clearly coming from a place of fear and lack of experience and then proceeded to educate her. I never got a response so I must've schooled her, but it was seriously juvenile. Throughout this, I was concerned also about other honest snake owners that might have to face the same thing and felt it was on my shoulders to set the record straight in that you can be a responsible snake owner and have cats as well. I understand where they're coming from and the horrors they have to see in animals that are returned to them or new rescues, but stereotyping and having uneducated biases are not okay.

Another thing with the adoption agency is that they are hurting for volunteers, so they admitted that they take what they can get. They're not well-trained and obviously unclear about who to approve and who not to.

I felt so bad for my girlfriend and all of this stress because he was her Christmas present! She finally fell in love with a cat we looked at and then this happens. Shame But at least all is well! Thankfully things worked in our favour and we get to keep the little guy. Thanks again for all your advice and time <3

7. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to SylvesterVoltaire For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

AbsoluteApril (03-06-2018),Bogertophis (05-26-2020),CALM Pythons (03-06-2018),Craiga 01453 (03-06-2018),dakski (03-06-2018),GoingPostal (03-06-2018),hilabeans (03-06-2018),Kira (03-06-2018),MissterDog (03-06-2018),Reptimom (03-06-2018),Timelugia (03-06-2018),tttaylorrr (03-06-2018),zina10 (03-06-2018)

Thanks

Can't seem to post the picture of him and my girl (such a newb at this), but here's the link : https://imgur.com/a/TwOlK

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

OPs photo for the lazy:

i'm so glad this has a happy ending! you handled this much better than i would have lol.

congrats!
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 03-06-2018 at 12:22 AM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Timelugia (03-06-2018),zina10 (03-06-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    OPs photo for the lazy:

i'm so glad this has a happy ending! you handled this much better than i would have lol.

congrats!
    Thank you for posting that! I was really trying to be tactful and handle this as best as I could. Truthfully, I was very emotional on the phone during the initial call (who wouldn't be?), so I wanted to come off more level and from a place of understanding of their point. They were wrong, and I knew that, but compliance to an extent seemed the best route for all things considered. :]

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SylvesterVoltaire For This Useful Post:

tttaylorrr (03-06-2018),zina10 (03-06-2018)

Thanks
    I'm glad it all worked out! I feel like the first foster mom should be dropped by the agency and not allowed to foster anymore- how wholly unprofessional and petty of her. Maybe the second one can now impart some knowledge on such situations, should anyone else find themselves in your boat in the future.

Your girlfriend's cat is utterly precious!
    1.0 Banana/Coral Glow Emperor Pin BP- Horatio
    0.1 Hypo Black Pewter Butter- Gin & Tonic (Ginny)
    1.0 Piebald Cat- Percival Henry

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Pengil For This Useful Post:

zina10 (03-06-2018)

Thanks

You are being an extremely patient person and I commend you for it. Personally, if I PAID to own an animal that I am properly and ethically taking care of I am not going to let numerous people inside my house to inspect anything. I can understand why you did, but just....no.....they can look up the average size of a ball python and understand that there is no danger whatsoever to cat. If this is how they are operating I can understand why they're hurting for volunteers.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to KevinK For This Useful Post:

zina10 (03-06-2018)

Thanks

Yay! Glad foster #2 had a more open mind, and researching for herself!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast