Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,577

1 members and 2,576 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Re: Cat adoption denied for having a Ball Python after taking home the cat. Help!

Quote Originally Posted by John1982 View Post
    Ask them to direct you to the conditions of the contract that you are not meeting. They approved the adoption. You have the cat in your home now, right? I don't see anything in there mentioning snakes specifically so it was their mistake for approving you if they have an unwritten rule. As far as I can see, with no legal knowhow whatsoever, they have no grounds to remove the cat from you at this point. The whole, "snakes are dangerous" bit is too subjective. Only way I could see them being able to pull off the 7) at this point is if they had mentioned snakes in the contract.
    100% agreed.

Thanks
    As others have mentioned, I don't think they can legally do anything since they approved the adoption and let you take the cat home.

Don't answer their calls or emails. If they want that cat back they are going to have to fight for it!
    Winry-Pastel Vanilla BP

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kira For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (02-27-2018),SylvesterVoltaire (02-27-2018)

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    Ugh what a mess. There's a lot of really over the top ridiculous rescues these days that have so many rules and regulations it's next to impossible to adopt. Finding one run by reasonable minded people is harder and harder each year. FWIW I'm considering adopting a bengal which are smart, strong, mischievous kitties and the rescue was fine with me adding a child safety knob to the reptile room to prevent the cat from getting in, once they made sure the snakes were properly contained and wouldn't be allowed around the cat they had no issue. A cat poses far more danger to a ball python than the other way around. Generally actually enforcing these types of contracts is far more difficult and costly than what is worth so I guess it depends how far you want to push things but I'd personally be quite irritated and try to do my best to keep my cat.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

redshepherd (02-28-2018),SylvesterVoltaire (02-27-2018)

Thanks

Re: Cat adoption denied for having a Ball Python after taking home the cat. Help!

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    First, that's terrible. I agree, ignorance towards snakes.

Secondly, good for you for being honest.

Third, shame on them for missing that, giving you a cat, and taking it back.

What a horrible situation all around.

I feel for you.
    Apparently, honesty doesn't get me very far. They've agreed to meet later this week, so at least they're not seeing this as an immediate threat. I

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SylvesterVoltaire For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (02-27-2018),CALM Pythons (02-27-2018),dakski (02-27-2018)

Thanks

Thank you everyone for your prompt replies! It doesn't say anything about not adopting out to snake-owners, and in fact, the foster mom even said so herself. She's going to come by later this week to see the conditions of the home and make sure it's safe for him. Funny how between the individual calling us on behalf of the organisation said it was the foster mom and the foster mom said it was the organisation. I did not want this drama, but like what @hannahrenee said, just another reason to stop shopping there. We went to other shelters in the area prior to Petsmart, but this little one seemed to be calling out to my girlfriend especially.

Thanks again. If things get nasty after the welfare check, I'll definitely point out the discrepancies on their end. Not going down without a fight.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SylvesterVoltaire For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-27-2018),Craiga 01453 (02-27-2018),dakski (02-27-2018),GoingPostal (02-28-2018),Sunnieskys (02-27-2018),tttaylorrr (02-27-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SylvesterVoltaire View Post
    Apparently, honesty doesn't get me very far. They've agreed to meet later this week, so at least they're not seeing this as an immediate threat. I
    Except, as others have said, it might have.

If they had refused to give you the cat that's one thing. But they gave you the cat and then want it back without new information. You told them and they, essentially, changed their mind, or failed to read what you told them.

If you hadn't disclosed that you owned BP's, then they would have leg to stand on. Since you were honest, told them, and they want the cat back after granting the adoption, you DID NOT FAIL TO MEET YOUR OBLIGATION or violate the contract; they did.

Now, how far you want to push this is entirely up to you. However, I think they breached the contract, not you.

Just my opinion, and not a lawyer, but I fail to see how you did anything wrong.
    Last edited by dakski; 02-27-2018 at 03:07 AM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

CloudtheBoa (02-27-2018),SylvesterVoltaire (03-05-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John1982 View Post
    Ask them to direct you to the conditions of the contract that you are not meeting. They approved the adoption. You have the cat in your home now, right? I don't see anything in there mentioning snakes specifically so it was their mistake for approving you if they have an unwritten rule. As far as I can see, with no legal knowhow whatsoever, they have no grounds to remove the cat from you at this point. The whole, "snakes are dangerous" bit is too subjective. Only way I could see them being able to pull off the 7) at this point is if they had mentioned snakes in the contract.
    I agree with John 100%.

So sorry to hear that the excitement of bringing a new cat home turned into a negative situation. I would be fighting it though. Unless they can show you in the contract, signed by both parties, where it says that the cat can be removed for other pets I don't think they have a leg to stand on.

"7. I understand [the Agency] may reclaim ownership of the cat if any of these conditions are not being met. I agree to fully cooperate and willingly surrender the cat to [the Agency] if that is what is necessary for the health of the cat. I understand I will be liable for expenses [the Agency] may incur by enforcing this contract.

As far as I can see, and since you were honest in the application, I see no reason to doubt that all criteria of the contract are being met. Therefore, I believe you should be able to fight and keep the cat.

I, personally, would be sending the agency and Petsmart letter explaining my disappointment in the situation as well.

Anyway, I hope everything works out for you. Please keep us updated.
    Good luck!!!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-27-2018),SylvesterVoltaire (03-05-2018)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SylvesterVoltaire View Post
    Thank you everyone for your prompt replies! It doesn't say anything about not adopting out to snake-owners, and in fact, the foster mom even said so herself. She's going to come by later this week to see the conditions of the home and make sure it's safe for him. Funny how between the individual calling us on behalf of the organisation said it was the foster mom and the foster mom said it was the organisation. I did not want this drama, but like what @hannahrenee said, just another reason to stop shopping there. We went to other shelters in the area prior to Petsmart, but this little one seemed to be calling out to my girlfriend especially.

Thanks again. If things get nasty after the welfare check, I'll definitely point out the discrepancies on their end. Not going down without a fight.
    Keep your guard up.. Im sorry but I fail to look for the best in people anymore and id be afraid they were coming with the intend to scoop the cat up. Dont get yourself in trouble over it, but if anything goes sour let them know you'll be on the 6 oclock news whith the video of them taking a cat from a great home. (One of you record the whole thing) I love the Begging these places do all year long for donations and you cant get an animal out of them to save some lives. I had one place demand a call from my Home Owners Ins Company. I told them to Kiss off and take me to court and this was a 2 weeks after I had the dog. Its almost like they want money to keep all the animals in a shelter and not adopt them out. If someone lived in a City apartment and wanted a Great Dane I would understand, but a cat come on now, and someone that owns a home looking for a dog it just gets ridiculous.
    It might not be nice to say but 1/2 the people running these places around here where I live I wouldn't think had the money, transportation or mental health stability to take care of the animals let alone them deciding about me? Hahahhaha
    "Things that make ya go Hmmm"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (02-28-2018),DLena (03-25-2018),Godzilla78 (02-27-2018),SylvesterVoltaire (03-05-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 667 Posts
    I already chimes in but another defense you now have going for you is them taking their sweet time to come by!

make sure you lean heavy in that too. If this cat was in immediate danger they should rush right over or get an animal protection agency involved!

like I said before. Make sure the snakes are separate and the door closed and you have no issue.

I actually had to call the SCPA during my divorce because my exotic aquarium was being held hostage and no one knew how to care for the fish and I was afraid they would die. They showed up where they were being held took a full report and told the evil people keeping them from me that if but one fish died under their care it was a felony animal cruelty charge.

You can get an org in your corner and as long as you are properly caring for all your animals. There should be zero issue here.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phillydubs For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-27-2018),SylvesterVoltaire (03-05-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,840 Times in 4,770 Posts
    Personally I would diplomatically tell them to take a long walk off of a short pier and if they want to take the cat back they'll have to get a judge to rule that I was in violation of their contract. You, new cat owner layperson, have no knowledge of PetSmart's adoption policies other than what is in writing on that contract and they can't hold you to a stipulation that isn't on it. Further, if anything in the contract is ambiguous then that works in your favor since PetSmart drafted and presented the contract, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contra_proferentem.

If their policy is not to adopt out cats to homes with snakes then they need to add that language. Heck, PetSmart sells snakes - what if you purchased one from them the day after you brought the cat home? Would they refuse to sell a snake to you because they have it in their records that you adopted a cat from them? And if snakes are so dangerous to cats why would they keep cats and snakes in the same building?

19. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

CALM Pythons (02-28-2018),Craiga 01453 (02-28-2018),dakski (02-27-2018),GoingPostal (02-28-2018),hilabeans (02-27-2018),Kira (02-27-2018),Slicercrush (03-06-2018),SylvesterVoltaire (03-05-2018),Timelugia (02-27-2018),tttaylorrr (02-27-2018),zina10 (02-27-2018)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast